Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Glasgow vs Edinburgh vs Bristol vs (Manchester & Leeds) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I recently got accepted into University of Edinburgh, University of Glasgow and University of Bristol (the other two haven’t gotten back to me – University of Manchester and University of Leeds) for Physiology. I’m having a hard time choosing which one I’d like to go to so I’d like to hear some of your perspectives on your experiences at any of these schools & cities. What’s the vibe/music scene/nightlife/student life/social life/shopping/expenses/things to do like? Music is an integral part of my being (I have a wide range of music taste but hip hop & rnb are most preferable). I’m an international student so diversity would also kind of matter. I’m basically looking for a city which is 'laid back meets metropolitan'.
    I know Edinburgh is probably the wiser choice because of ranking but I want to enjoy my uni life and I’m not sure if I would like it there (because of the pressure and stuff).
    Please let me know what you guys think,
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Great selection.

Edinburgh would be slightly the most prestigious, followed by Manc and Bristol in joint 2nd, then Glasgow and Leeds joint after that. All would be at a similar academic level. Manc, Bristol, Glasgow and Leeds all have great music scenes. Edinburgh likely does too, but a little smaller and less varied. Manchester is probably the biggest city with most things happening for students. It's pretty affordable too and has the feel of an international city, as its very diverse.

I'd probably pick Edinburgh out of the 5. That said, I am enjoying being at Manchester.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by idka)
    Hey guys,
    I recently got accepted into University of Edinburgh, University of Glasgow and University of Bristol (the other two haven’t gotten back to me – University of Manchester and University of Leeds) for Physiology. I’m having a hard time choosing which one I’d like to go to so I’d like to hear some of your perspectives on your experiences at any of these schools & cities. What’s the vibe/music scene/nightlife/student life/social life/shopping/expenses/things to do like? Music is an integral part of my being (I have a wide range of music taste but hip hop & rnb are most preferable). I’m an international student so diversity would also kind of matter. I’m basically looking for a city which is 'laid back meets metropolitan'.
    I know Edinburgh is probably the wiser choice because of ranking but I want to enjoy my uni life and I’m not sure if I would like it there (because of the pressure and stuff).
    Please let me know what you guys think,
    Thanks!
    Hi there!

Congratulations on your offers! I am on my fourth year at Glasgow Uni, and I truly think Glasgow is one of the best cities in the UK. First of all, both the city and the university are big, so there is definitely something for everyone. Edinburgh is also a great city, but quite different compared to Glasgow - I would say Glasgow definitely has a 'younger' atmosphere. My friends who study in Edinburgh often comment that the nightlife and music scene are not as good in Edinburgh as they are in Glasgow. And to be honest, one of the best things about Glasgow is the variety of bars, pubs and restaurants, and the fact that there are always interesting events to attend, both on campus, and elsewhere. Also, Glaswegians are super friendly. I think "laid back meets metropolitan" definitely describes Glasgow. You can find pretty much everything you can think of in the city, but it is nowhere near as busy or hectic as most large European cities (I spent my year abroad in Paris and especially compared to that Glasgow is super relaxed!) Reputation-wise I think all the universities you have applied for are great and have an excellent reputation, so I would personally really not worry about it too much. Attending any of these unis will for sure look good on your CV. Let me know if you have more questions about Glasgow!

Essi
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Social and Political Sciences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaulACP)
    Great selection.

Edinburgh would be slightly the most prestigious, followed by Manc and Bristol in joint 2nd, then Glasgow and Leeds joint after that. All would be at a similar academic level. Manc, Bristol, Glasgow and Leeds all have great music scenes. Edinburgh likely does too, but a little smaller and less varied. Manchester is probably the biggest city with most things happening for students. It's pretty affordable too and has the feel of an international city, as its very diverse.

I'd probably pick Edinburgh out of the 5. That said, I am enjoying being at Manchester.
    Thanks , so do you think, at the end of the day, what's most important is how prestigious the school is? I am afraid I'm not thinking too wisely about the future and focusing a bit too much on how much I'd enjoy the experience itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glasgow Uni)
    Hi there!

Congratulations on your offers! I am on my fourth year at Glasgow Uni, and I truly think Glasgow is one of the best cities in the UK. First of all, both the city and the university are big, so there is definitely something for everyone. Edinburgh is also a great city, but quite different compared to Glasgow - I would say Glasgow definitely has a 'younger' atmosphere. My friends who study in Edinburgh often comment that the nightlife and music scene are not as good in Edinburgh as they are in Glasgow. And to be honest, one of the best things about Glasgow is the variety of bars, pubs and restaurants, and the fact that there are always interesting events to attend, both on campus, and elsewhere. Also, Glaswegians are super friendly. I think "laid back meets metropolitan" definitely describes Glasgow. You can find pretty much everything you can think of in the city, but it is nowhere near as busy or hectic as most large European cities (I spent my year abroad in Paris and especially compared to that Glasgow is super relaxed!) Reputation-wise I think all the universities you have applied for are great and have an excellent reputation, so I would personally really not worry about it too much. Attending any of these unis will for sure look good on your CV. Let me know if you have more questions about Glasgow!

Essi
    Undergraduate Rep
    Wow, thanks so much how is the music scene there? I know my friend is going there because there's a huge rock scene and I'm not really a rock fan. Also, Edinburgh accepted me straight into year two (3 years) whereas at Glasgow, I would be doing 4 years and although I don't mind 4, my parents obviously are going with Edinburgh. Is there anything I could say to have them favour Glasgow over Edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    These are all well respected unis, but Edinburgh has a bit of a wow factor and It would be the one best known internationally too. I'd say this makes its degrees worth the most. I doubt it's much better than Glasgow in reality.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by idka)
    Wow, thanks so much how is the music scene there? I know my friend is going there because there's a huge rock scene and I'm not really a rock fan. Also, Edinburgh accepted me straight into year two (3 years) whereas at Glasgow, I would be doing 4 years and although I don't mind 4, my parents obviously are going with Edinburgh. Is there anything I could say to have them favour Glasgow over Edinburgh?
    The music scene is pretty diverse! There is definitely lots of rock, but other things as well. I personally really like the fact it is so easy to find relaxed and free live jazz jam sessions. I don't know if you already knew that Glasgow is a UNESCO city of music You can check this website to get an idea what's going on at the moment: http://www.glasgowcityofmusic.com/whats_on the Skinny website (http://www.theskinny.co.uk/) is also a good guide to what's on in Glasgow (and actually, the other cities you were considering as well, if you feel like comparing!) I think it is really worth thinking about what kind of university experience you want. I am sure wherever you end up going will be great, but I really think Glasgow is an amazing city to be a young student and the atmosphere is just unique! I am also glad that I've had four years here, to have a bit more time to think about what I really want to do after I graduate and gain some volunteering and work experience while studying as well. Hope this helps at least a little bit!

Essi
    Undergraduate Rep

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.