Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you deal with those who proselytize? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a member of an evangelical faith myself and I'm usually too polite to dismiss those who try to preach to me when I'm out and about. My feeble attempts to be evasive are usually ignored and I end up listening to their spcheel so now I typically try to avert my gaze or walk past them.

To those who are religious or atheist and are preached to by a person who isn't of your faith, how do you react? Do you attempt to destroy them with some Hitchen-esque rhetoric? Or in the case of those of another faith, do you argue that your religion is the true one?

To those who have the same faith, do you engage them in conversation or in light debate if your beliefs are slightly different?

Here's a link to a snapshot of me being preached to recently. At the end I said something like "I'm afraid I'm really not interested but have a good day" and I smiled and went into my building as they'd cornered me at the entrance.

ReputationRep:
    i just smile at them and kindly tell them im not interested, i respects other peoples religions and their rights to preach.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Proselytising pisses me off no end. It's hard, since I too am too polite usually, but you either have to outright ignore them by deliberately walking past without acknowledging what they say and avoiding eye contact, OR by calling them out on any flaws in their beliefs OR by telling them to STFU.

I usually find it's fellow Christians trying to proselytise me: either for being Roman Catholic (and therefore of COURSE automatically being destined for Hell, lmfao), or (in the case of fellow RCers) for being insufficiently Roman Catholic. With the former, if it's in person I just smile and walk off or if it's online, I tell them to go screw themselves (it's always easier to be rude and bolshy online) and that if Heaven is full of people like them, I'd rather not be there. To fellow Roman Catholics, I remind them that I do not answer to them but only to God and my confessor

For people of other faiths, I just tell them I'm Roman Catholic and that I'm fine with being Roman Catholic. Though I think I've only been told by people of other religions that they'll pray for me (presumably for my conversion), to which I just smile and escape quickly.

Basically, never engage with these people if you can help it: they're very blinkered and brainwashed and some of them (well, many actually) are just batshit crazy. There's no arguing with them. Best thing is to leave them to fester in their own ignorance and not interact with them, imho :yep:

I don't really attempt Hitchens-esque rhetoric when I'm out and about. I normally just shrug them off or, if I feel particularly sorry for them (e.g. if they look like they've been standing in the rain for hours), I'll take whatever information leaflet they're trying to distribute, give it a cursory read, and then (usually) bin it once I'm sure the proselytisers can't see me anymore.

To clarify: while I enjoy a good debate, I'm usually on a schedule on the rare occasion that I do go out and, from experience, I don't think indulging the proselytiser(s) is worth messing up my plans for the day.

On a slightly different note, I love your voice, Kvothe the arcane.

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    it's always easier to be rude and bolshy online
    This is very true. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    the guy preaching to you sounds sexy lol
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    This is very true. :beard:
    Someone on Cath Soc (not any of the regulars) once tried to tell me what an awful RC I am. Things got very heated very quickly, lol :devil:

IRL though, I'd just be like :cry2:

Someone on Cath Soc (not any of the regulars) once tried to tell me what an awful RC I am. Things got very heated very quickly, lol :devil:

IRL though, I'd just be like :cry2:

Understandable. A text-based platform can be very convenient for those of us who prefer to give something a little bit of thought before communicating it. If only real life was as easy. :moon:

You describe yourself as a liberal RC, right? :holmes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking you sent me this when it happened? I seem to remember that happening.

Anyway, I engage them if I'm bored but otherwise politely decline and walk on.

I was stood at a busy town bus stop recently and an old lady stopped in front of me said "Jesus loves you " and smiled at me. I thanked her and she walked on.

Embarrassingly, I later texted Jesus to say I loved him too but he said he only considered me a good friend. The moral of the story: random old women are not well placed to advise you on your Mexican romantic interests.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Understandable. A text-based platform can be very convenient for those of us who prefer to give something a little bit of thought before communicating it. If only real life was as easy. :moon:

You describe yourself as a liberal RC, right? :holmes:
    So true :moon: Bloody TSR keyboard warriors, grrrr :grumble: Poor Aula had to sort it all out and tell everyone to calm the **** down

I do indeed :jebus:

ReputationRep:
    Usually I just ignore them and go about my business, but sometimes I stop and listen to what they have to say. If it gets too long and/or uncomfortably preachy I just pull out my phone, look at the time and say "Sorry I have to be somewhere now. Thanks for the leaflet. " or something along those lines.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Am I right in thinking you sent me this when it happened? I seem to remember that happening.

Shhh, I don't want them knowing about our offsite love :sad:.

Anyway, I engage them if I'm bored but otherwise politely decline and walk on.

I usually always decline but this person tricked me by saying he had a survey.

I was stood at a busy town bus stop recently and an old lady stopped in front of me said "Jesus loves you " and smiled at me. I thanked her and she walked on.

Embarrassingly, I later texted Jesus to say I loved him too but he said he only considered me a good friend. The moral of the story: random old women are not well placed to advise you on your Mexican romantic interests.
    Lol, funny as usual .

(Original post by alkaline.)
    the guy preaching to you sounds sexy lol
    I'll pass along the compliment if I see him again .

I don't really attempt Hitchens-esque rhetoric when I'm out and about. I normally just shrug them off or, if I feel particularly sorry for them (e.g. if they look like they've been standing in the rain for hours), I'll take whatever information leaflet they're trying to distribute, give it a cursory read, and then (usually) bin it once I'm sure the proselytisers can't see me anymore.

To clarify: while I enjoy a good debate, I'm usually on a schedule on the rare occasion that I do go out and, from experience, I don't think indulging the proselytiser(s) is worth messing up my plans for the day.
    That's fair enough. A different response tbh to what I expected based on your online personna :eek:. I'm much the same. If I'm presented literature, I'll usually accept and discard discreetly. I like to be polite in my day-to-day dealings, aspergers permitting.
    On a slightly different note, I love your voice, Kvothe the arcane.
    Why thank you :hat2:.

ReputationRep:
    I usually politely extricate myself quite quickly. Don't really see the point in challenging them. If they're out preaching they're clearly pretty committed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I listed to the clip, you said you were "not interested" in being shown that what you had been taught was wrong. I would listen for a short while to what they had to say, if it was not speaking on, or speaking incorrectly on the truth of salvation I would steer to that, I would preach to the preachers.

If I found that they are "not interested" I would politely end the conversation.
    If they are, I may gain a brother!

ReputationRep:
    I usually just say "\dfrac{a + b^n}{x} = x, hence __insert_some_other_religion's_g od__ exists, reply."

(Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    That's fair enough. A different response tbh to what I expected based on your online personna :eek:.
    My little hissy fit on the ExMusSoc thread yesterday is not the most accurate representation of how I am, online or offline. :innocent:

Although, as TLG mentioned above, it's easier to sound tough over a text-based platform where you can think about something for a little while and refine it in a way that's not possible when you're sleepily walking through town on a Saturday morning. I also have the slight impediment of not having a strong voice, so it's difficult to be forceful a lot of the time even if I want to be.

I'm much the same. If I'm presented literature, I'll usually accept and discard discreetly. I like to be polite in my day-to-day dealings, aspergers permitting.
    That's a good way to do things. Given how easily some people take offence, you can't really be too Hitchensian without pissing off someone important. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    OP, I tend to be very happy to talk about topics like God and faith, especially if I'm not rushing anywhere. I think it's worth talking about these things, even if we end up not agreeing. I think it's a shame that many people just feel apathy towards the whole thing. It really matters to all of us - it's unavoidable.

Proselytising pisses me off no end. It's hard, since I too am too polite usually,
    right...

but you either have to outright ignore them by deliberately walking past without acknowledging what they say and avoiding eye contact, OR by calling them out on any flaws in their beliefs OR by telling them to STFU.

I usually find it's fellow Christians trying to proselytise me: either for being Roman Catholic (and therefore of COURSE automatically being destined for Hell, lmfao), or (in the case of fellow RCers) for being insufficiently Roman Catholic. With the former, if it's in person I just smile and walk off or if it's online, I tell them to go screw themselves (it's always easier to be rude and bolshy online) and that if Heaven is full of people like them, I'd rather not be there. To fellow Roman Catholics, I remind them that I do not answer to them but only to God and my confessor

For people of other faiths, I just tell them I'm Roman Catholic and that I'm fine with being Roman Catholic. Though I think I've only been told by people of other religions that they'll pray for me (presumably for my conversion), to which I just smile and escape quickly.

Basically, never engage with these people if you can help it: they're very blinkered and brainwashed and some of them (well, many actually) are just batshit crazy. There's no arguing with them. Best thing is to leave them to fester in their own ignorance and not interact with them, imho :yep:
    That's not a particularly loving thing to say. It doesn't read polite at all... I mean come on now

ReputationRep:
    I just shout out Hallelujah I'm already BORN AGAIN and filled with the HOLY SPIRIT, God Bless you...

Yeah, no one really bothers me too much after that
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    OP, I tend to be very happy to talk about topics like God and faith, especially if I'm not rushing anywhere. I think it's worth talking about these things, even if we end up not agreeing. I think it's a shame that many people just feel apathy towards the whole thing. It really matters to all of us - it's unavoidable.

right...

That's not a particularly loving thing to say. It doesn't read polite at all... I mean come on now
    Read all my posts on this thread. I said it's very easy to be bolshy and rude on the Internet

Read all my posts on this thread. I said it's very easy to be bolshy and rude on the Internet
    I'm curious: is it considered an actively bad thing to be 'not loving enough' in Roman Catholicism?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.