Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you deal with those who proselytize? Watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I'm curious: is it considered an actively bad thing to be 'not loving enough' in Roman Catholicism?
    Probably depends on your type of Catholicism Generally speaking though, we should all be guided by love :yep: :grouphugs:

That said, I've never pretended to be the world's best Christian or the world's best Catholic. So tiz all good :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    If they are Jehovah Witnesses just tell you you don't have time as you are going to give blood to help save a dying class mate.

(Original post by BaconandSauce)
    If they are Jehovah Witnesses just tell you you don't have time as you are going to give blood to help save a dying class mate.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I used to be a member of an evangelical faith myself and I'm usually too polite to dismiss those who try to preach to me when I'm out and about. My feeble attempts to be evasive are usually ignored and I end up listening to their spcheel so now I typically try to avert my gaze or walk past them.

To those who are religious or atheist and are preached to by a person who isn't of your faith, how do you react? Do you attempt to destroy them with some Hitchen-esque rhetoric? Or in the case of those of another faith, do you argue that your religion is the true one?

To those who have the same faith, do you engage them in conversation or in light debate if your beliefs are slightly different?

Here's a link to a snapshot of me being preached to recently. At the end I said something like "I'm afraid I'm really not interested but have a good day" and I smiled and went into my building as they'd cornered me at the entrance.
    As I'm Christian, it might be hard to understand but I really really hate Bible bashers. It's not right to be forcing a religion on someone else, it's out of choice that you choose to follow one.

I used to be polite with them and some of these 'preachers' were nice in that they wanted to spread awareness whereas others try to force you. I once came across 2 girls my age who tried to make me pray with them in the middle of a busy town centre - baffling. I said I was sorry but I didn't want to and they felt very awkward.

I'm a lot better with these people now. If I see someone ahead of me standing around trying to approach people (whether it's for charity or religious reasons), I'll either get my phone out and pretend to be engrossed by a picture of a potato or if they approach me, I walk faster saying I'm not interested. The best action is to ignore though.

There's no point in being rude, or mean, it's going to help you but you do have your opinion and are allowed to ignore them/not want to talk to them.

ReputationRep:
    Kvothe the arcane Not a big deal, keep walking, it's not the law to listen to so why be angry when they speak? Just get over it obviously.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mrsjenner)
    Kvothe the arcane Not a big deal, keep walking, it's not the law to listen to so why be angry when they speak? Just get over it obviously.
    I was on my way home. I was 2m from my doorstep and the gentleman approached saying he was a college student with a survey. He asked if I would complete it and I said "sure".

His initial question was "Have you heard of the passover" and I realised he wanted to preach to me but it was too late. So I just waited patiently until he was finished to make my exist as I didn't want to be rude. I wasn't angry.

ReputationRep:
    I was on my way home. I was 2m from my doorstep and the gentleman approached saying he was a college student with a survey. He asked if I would complete it and I said "sure".

His initial question was "Have you heard of the passover" and I realised he wanted to preach to me but it was too late. So I just waited patiently until he was finished to make my exist as I didn't want to be rude. I wasn't angry.
    Did you get anything from what he said?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mrsjenner)
    Did you get anything from what he said?
    I listened to the words but no, I did not become a believer if that's what you mean. I was previously Christian so it was nothing I hadn't heard before.

ReputationRep:
    I listened to the words but no, I did not become a believer if that's what you mean. I was previously Christian so it was nothing I hadn't heard before.
    No I did not mean become a believer. It takes more than an annoying encounter with a kid who has a clipboard lol I meant simply did anything he say at least resonate as valid and something you can possibly take through life? Or something that made you simply frown your lips in an impressed way like, "not bad, kinda true." You made a thread about religion so I'll also like to know what turned you away from the faith.

ReputationRep:
    If randomly on the street, I will just walk by and say "sorry I'm not interested" and they always let me be. The only times a conversation will develop is if they intrude upon me in a place where I can't exactly walk off, so I will just hear them out and then reply. For example, I've had someone just randomly come up to me on train and sit next to me and start preaching to me. Or at work I will be sitting in staff room eating my lunch and another colleague will come up and sit next to me and start preaching. But I've noticed that when preaching, some people seem to talk at you, rather than to you, so you end up listening to a 10 minute sermon.... If I am put in that situation, I'll just I hear them out and when they finish, I have no qualms responding and stating my views, opinions and criticisms.

ReputationRep:
    I engage on debate with them and usually end up pissing them off when they fail to give any arguments that woudln't be easily countered.

I'm not rude or anything but if they come to me asking to talk about religion I am not holding back on the debate. They get exactly what they asked for.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.