Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My target grades for the GCSE's this year are ridiculously high: 6 A's and 4 A*'s. - before anyone says "you've been given them for a reason,, you're obviously capable -- you're wrong! History is one of the 4 subjects of which I have an A* target and i've pretty much failed every test we've ever taken [and by failed I mean E's -- besides one B+] . I REALLY NEED ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO - revision techniques? how much revision a day? - I DO NOT WANT AN A* [obviously i'd be amazing if I got it] BUT I REALLY JUST WANT TO PASS! PLEASE HELP?????????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethanyjx)
    My target grades for the GCSE's this year are ridiculously high: 6 A's and 4 A*'s. - before anyone says "you've been given them for a reason,, you're obviously capable -- you're wrong! History is one of the 4 subjects of which I have an A* target and i've pretty much failed every test we've ever taken [and by failed I mean E's -- besides one B+] . I REALLY NEED ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO - revision techniques? how much revision a day? - I DO NOT WANT AN A* [obviously i'd be amazing if I got it] BUT I REALLY JUST WANT TO PASS! PLEASE HELP?????????????
    Hey there!

Don't stress you got plenty of time still till your exam and you will be able to pass your History GCSE for sure if you put your head down to it. :yep:

Here's a few of my revision tips I used for my History GCSE:
    • Summarise the content of each module on one sheet of paper and memorise this
    • Condense events into 3 bullet points [Linking with the point above]
    • Make a list of significant events and their dates and highlight each one you manage to remember
    • Do every single past paper question
    • Plan your essays with bullet points within a minute (number them according to the significance)
    • Time yourself when doing essays
    • Practice writing really fast
    • Source questions (if you do this): first thing read the questions before the sources, so you know what key bits of information you are looking for.
    Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercxver)
    Hey there!

Don't stress you got plenty of time still till your exam and you will be able to pass your History GCSE for sure if you put your head down to it. :yep:

Here's a few of my revision tips I used for my History GCSE:
    • Summarise the content of each module on one sheet of paper and memorise this
    • Condense events into 3 bullet points [Linking with the point above]
    • Make a list of significant events and their dates and highlight each one you manage to remember
    • Do every single past paper question
    • Plan your essays with bullet points within a minute (number them according to the significance)
    • Time yourself when doing essays
    • Practice writing really fast
    • Source questions (if you do this): first thing read the questions before the sources, so you know what key bits of information you are looking for.
    Hope this helps.
    Thank you so much! I know I still have a reasonable amount of time but with so many other subjects I want to make sure I am able to revise them all! I will definitely follow all your tips!! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    got to say, undercxver's advice is fantastic!
    just to add to it, explain things to someone. Get a friend/parent to sit down & tell them everything you know. There was some study done at some point, and it found out that you remember something like 90% of what you teach to somebody. (to compare, you only remember 10% of what you read.) Assuming your parents are supportive, they'll be happy to listen, even if they don't really care
    Best of luck, any other questions feel free to ask!
    (also, you can get your predicted grades. I had the same thing a couple of years ago when I got mine, they were pretty much the same as yours. In the end, I beat them (actual biggest and most pleasant surprise of my life!))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethanyjx)
    With history, knowing the content is important but its really about the structure of each question and knowing exactly what you need for each question (e.g. Comprehensiveness is important for a source question). I spoke to a history examiner once and he said he just skim reads the essay and looks for key words. Once you know the structure needed for a question, then just practise practise practise. Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desmoulins)
    got to say, undercxver's advice is fantastic!
    just to add to it, explain things to someone. Get a friend/parent to sit down & tell them everything you know. There was some study done at some point, and it found out that you remember something like 90% of what you teach to somebody. (to compare, you only remember 10% of what you read.) Assuming your parents are supportive, they'll be happy to listen, even if they don't really care
    Best of luck, any other questions feel free to ask!
    (also, you can get your predicted grades. I had the same thing a couple of years ago when I got mine, they were pretty much the same as yours. In the end, I beat them (actual biggest and most pleasant surprise of my life!))
    I agree, it was great advice - as is yours! Them statistics are really interesting though and I'm going to definitely try this method - my mum pretty much listens to anything I say and pretends she knows what I'm talking about haha. Thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theconfusedman)
    With history, knowing the content is important but its really about the structure of each question and knowing exactly what you need for each question (e.g. Comprehensiveness is important for a source question). I spoke to a history examiner once and he said he just skim reads the essay and looks for key words. Once you know the structure needed for a question, then just practise practise practise. Hope it helps!
    This did help! I especially struggle with the 12 markers so I will check some sites regarding the structure right now! thank you! As for the key words, I guess just overlooking past paper mark schemes will help to see the way examiners are looking for it to be worded. I'll check all this out now, thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.