Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how did u guys find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tara b)
    how did u guys find it?
    i did mod 8 - rubbish probably about 20/50
    and the synoptic paper was just stupid i didnt understand any of it...i did the energy essay, in total i probably got about 20/50 on that.
    so yeh i ****ed up big time.

ReputationRep:
    the microbes section was ok i thought, but the data handling questions on sectin B were really difficult :mad: I had no idea what any of the experiments were on about.

I did enegy transfers for the essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tara b)

I did enegy transfers for the essay
    same..

what kind of things did u write about? do u know if they have a markscheme? because if they do im sure mine doesnt match even one little bit of it.

ReputationRep:
    for the energy transfer essays i wrote about:
    photosynthesis, respiration, active transport, ATP, muscle contraction (how ATP is used in contraction)

ReputationRep:
    Yeh both the microbes and the synoptic paper were pretty tricky. But the essay choices were a joke! I didn't have a clue about the energy one so i did the osmosis essay, but that had limited stuff to write about...

ReputationRep:
    I did Module 7- I thought it was ok, the data analysis was harder. I did the osmosis essay, and wrote about turgidity of plant cells, movement of water into plants, tissue fluid and the kidneys, oh and why carbohydrate is stored as starch and glygogen instead of sugar. I couldn't think of anything else, but there's probably loads...I think I've done enough to keep my A though, just have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    the experiment questions on the synoptic paper sooo hard :confused: the essay titles were annoying as the osmosis one you couldnt really write much about and the energy transfers one i was not sure what they wanted. anyway I did energy transfers and wrote mostly on photosynthesis, respiration and active transport

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    i did the module 7 paper today, section 1 was ok, section B, hmm..............lol. i did the essay first i couldnt resist, i also chose the energy transfer one. I didnt think that the essay titles were as bad as i thought but i honestly thought that they would be on lipids to digestion. i had no idea on that sucrose questions!!

ReputationRep:
    For energy transfers i wrote about:

chemical energy (stored in glucose in plants) eaten by animals which convert it to kinetic energy for movement, muscle contraction etc.

i mentioned some points on thermoregulation, i said when the bodys too warm , u sweat so the heat energy is transferred into the surroundings by radiation having a cooling effect

i said about energy being transferred between trophic levels and some being lost to the surroundings at each stage as heat due to respiration..

erm..and about larger mammals who have large SA:volume ratios..they find it hard to keep warm so the stored energy is metabolised by the liver..so the energy is being converted to kinetic again for the contraction of muscles..generating heat energy.

does that sound right ? i was tempted not to write about atp etc because it did say energy transfers..:confused:

ReputationRep:
    i didnt understand the term "energy transfers" at all- or what they wanted so i did osmosis- wrote about mass flow hypothesis, stomata (guard cells), the collecting duct and antibiotics changing permeability of cell membrane..
    i thought microbes couldve been so much worse, and as for the synoptic- i cant relaly remember any of it? anyone cre to refresh my memory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misty)
    i didnt understand the term "energy transfers" at all- or what they wanted so i did osmosis- wrote about mass flow hypothesis, stomata (guard cells), the collecting duct and antibiotics changing permeability of cell membrane..
    i thought microbes couldve been so much worse, and as for the synoptic- i cant relaly remember any of it? anyone cre to refresh my memory?
    I did osmosis and unit 7.....For osmosis included
    translocation,plant structure,transpiration and mineral transport,kidneys
    cystic fibrosis,tissue fluid,Digestion,can't remember whatelse :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShOcKzZ)

chemical energy (stored in glucose in plants) eaten by animals which convert it to kinetic energy for movement, muscle contraction etc.

i mentioned some points on thermoregulation, i said when the bodys too warm , u sweat so the heat energy is transferred into the surroundings by radiation having a cooling effect

i said about energy being transferred between trophic levels and some being lost to the surroundings at each stage as heat due to respiration..

erm..and about larger mammals who have large SA:volume ratios..they find it hard to keep warm so the stored energy is metabolised by the liver..so the energy is being converted to kinetic again for the contraction of muscles..generating heat energy.

does that sound right ? i was tempted not to write about atp etc because it did say energy transfers..:confused:
    Sounds about the same as me, except I did write about ATP, because photosynthesis and respiration are both methods of energy transfer, ATP is a molecule intended to harness energy from an unusable source (glucose/food) and transfer it to a useful form, when ATP is hydrolysed, energy is released and can be transferred to things like muscle movement.

I wrote about how all energy comes from the sun and it can be stored in chemical bonds by ATP or glucose molecules etc, a bit about photosynthesis and respiration, active transport, muscles, electrical current/impulses in nerves, and some less obvious stuff about lizards who lie in the sun to warm themselves up, how chemical energy from ATP needs to be released as heat to keep a constant body temperature, ways of making energy transfer more efficient, ie vasoconstriction etc prevents heat energy loss.

Totally ran out of time though so about a third of my "essay" was in bullet points... I can live without the "quality of written communication" marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShOcKzZ)

i wrote about protein synthesis for energy transfer :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    i wrote about protein synthesis for energy transfer :confused:
    I used protein synthesis as an example of an enzyme catalysed reaction which might be affected by particle kinetic energy. It was the only way I could think of to get the genetics module in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misty)
    I couldn't remember any of the kidney, I don't know why I didn't revise that! Um can I say counter-current system or does water not go out that way? I couldn't remember any of the other names, wish I'd have revised that bit now

ReputationRep:
    it said u only get awarded 3 marks for relevence though, and 16 for the science, so i thought i might as well include non relevent science.
    ive only wrote about 3 topics though

ReputationRep:
    i thought the section A was alright, not easy, but a lot more accessible than some of the practise papers i've done. the data handling..hmm. first and last questions were alrightish, but that sucrose one.....i just guessed for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    i thought the section A was alright, not easy, but a lot more accessible than some of the practise papers i've done. the data handling..hmm. first and last questions were alrightish, but that sucrose one.....i just guessed for the most part.
    What did you put for the first question?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.