The Student Room Group

Can't decide between 2 uni's!

I'm looking to do Music Tech at uni and I'm having some trouble here.

Fortunately I've received conditional offers from all 5 of my uni choices. After attending lots of open days over the last month however, I decided only 2 of them are right for me and I'm having trouble deciding between them. Apparently no matter how well I do on my current course, I'll have enough UCAS points to be accepted in to either of those 2 uni's (so long as I don't somehow fail the course entirely!).

The impression I get here then is that the uni I put as my firm choice will be the one I end up at.

The 2 uni's are:

Staffordshire University: Music Technology

University of Derby: Music Technology and Production

So, what I'd like to ask here is this:

How do I choose which Uni to put as my firm choice, and what should be the defining factor that makes me choose one uni over the other?

Both courses seemed brilliant, the atmosphere of both uni's and their campuses felt 'right' to me, and even the accommodation I saw seemed fab! The only thing I don't really know much about in both cases are the cities themselves (yet to do more research there!). Other than that though, I'm yet to see any pro's of one uni that can outweigh the con's of the other and vice-versa!

I realise I still have some time to decide this and finalise my choices, however I want to give myself some time to think this over and make sure I've made the right choice.

So, any help and/or insights in the meantime would be greatly appreciated! :smile:
Original post by Leonardo.L
I'm looking to do Music Tech at uni and I'm having some trouble here.

Fortunately I've received conditional offers from all 5 of my uni choices. After attending lots of open days over the last month however, I decided only 2 of them are right for me and I'm having trouble deciding between them. Apparently no matter how well I do on my current course, I'll have enough UCAS points to be accepted in to either of those 2 uni's (so long as I don't somehow fail the course entirely!).

The impression I get here then is that the uni I put as my firm choice will be the one I end up at.

The 2 uni's are:

Staffordshire University: Music Technology

University of Derby: Music Technology and Production

So, what I'd like to ask here is this:

How do I choose which Uni to put as my firm choice, and what should be the defining factor that makes me choose one uni over the other?

Both courses seemed brilliant, the atmosphere of both uni's and their campuses felt 'right' to me, and even the accommodation I saw seemed fab! The only thing I don't really know much about in both cases are the cities themselves (yet to do more research there!). Other than that though, I'm yet to see any pro's of one uni that can outweigh the con's of the other and vice-versa!

I realise I still have some time to decide this and finalise my choices, however I want to give myself some time to think this over and make sure I've made the right choice.

So, any help and/or insights in the meantime would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Given the titles of the courses, I would guess there's some difference in course content. Could you look at this and see if there are any modules on one of the courses that seem especially interesting? Are the courses assessed in similar ways? If not, would you prefer one assessment method to the other?

Could you visit the locations again to see if you prefer one city over the other in terms of nightlife or opportunities?
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Given the titles of the courses, I would guess there's some difference in course content. Could you look at this and see if there are any modules on one of the courses that seem especially interesting? Are the courses assessed in similar ways? If not, would you prefer one assessment method to the other?

Could you visit the locations again to see if you prefer one city over the other in terms of nightlife or opportunities?

The modules for both courses definitely do differ in certain places however from what I remember and from what I can see online, there isn't any one module I can currently pick out; they all seem equally as interesting to me! Doesn't help that I can be pretty indecisive :laugh:

Both course have very similar qualifications as they both offer a BSc (Hons) qualification, and they appear to be assessed in such similar ways that I can't really choose one over the other here.

However I remember at Derby they liked to keep mentioning how they have a very strong focus on real-world research. Whether or not Staffordshire is equally the same in this respect I'm not too sure though, the tutors at Derby made this point very clear quite frequently whereas they seemed more laid back at Staffs. So one plus to Derby there I guess!

With Staffs though, I liked how there seemed to be a more diversity and freedom on how I approach the course, and which modules I would like to take. Considering I'm still pretty undecided on which specific direction I take with Music Tech, this more open approach to the course currently suits me better, as it allows me more time to decide on the direction I eventually decide to take (e.g. sound design or studio production etc.).

So it still feels difficult for me to decide, but maybe the more focused approach from Derby would actually be more beneficial in the long run? It could maybe reduce my indecisiveness and give me more of a clear direction earlier on.

I'm not sure I will be able to visit either locations again any time soon unfortunately. I don't live too far from either (between 1-2 hours depending), but college sure likes to keep me busy! I hope I can find enough information about the 2 cities looking online though, maybe I'll pop in to some of the other forums on here and ask people who already go to those 2 uni's - Might be a start for me actually:biggrin:

Thanks for the response so far though, it has certainly got me thinking!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending