Turn on thread page Beta

Donald Trump is not a fascist, and violence is nothing new in American politics watch

ReputationRep:
    I was on BBC Question Time this week and, as always, we ran through a test question before filming began: “Will Trump be president?” One audience member asked if he wasn’t reminiscent of Hitler. I replied that while his rhetoric is extreme and his policies wrong-headed, some of his positions are surprisingly moderate and it is hard to identify proof of personal prejudice. Moreover, many people are supporting him precisely because they are tired of being called “fascist” simply because they support controls on immigration. He’s riding a backlash against political correctness – and the violence in Chicago is only likely to increase sympathy for him. In the Trump imagination, Middle America is besieged by radical, anti-American voices trying to drown out alternative opinion. Shutting down a Trump rally won’t silence Trumpism. On the contrary, it affirms it. Why does the Left continue to make this mistake?

I would like to say that they should all have greater faith in their Constitution's ability to withstand populism. After all, if Trump won the presidency – which is highly unlikely – he would be bound by Congress, a military obliged to ignore illegal orders, the judiciary and the God-given rights enjoyed by every citizen. But the problem with any narrative that sees Trump as a fascist seeking to subvert America from within is that all of these fine institutions have already been subverted. Usually by the White House.

Trump is a blowhard. His views are unconstitutional, illiberal and sometimes they trigger hate. But he did not take America to war in Iraq on flimsy evidence, establish Guantanamo in contravention of human rights law, licence the torture of enemy combatants, oversee the gargantuan NSA data-gathering operation, launch a dirty war of drone strikes against both terrorists and those unfortunate enough to live near them, undermine the religious freedoms of employers who do not want to subsidise the sex lives of their workers, overrule the states’ wishes on marriage, compel citizens to buy healthcare products or deport thousands of illegals through aggressive round-ups. No: these things were done by “moderate” Republicans and “liberal” Democrats.

Trump is not new. The violence in Chicago has been a part of American politics for a very long time. The angry nihilism of the far-Right has incubated for decades; the “no platform” tendency of the Left is authoritarianism by any other name. And the slow corruption of American republicanism – the growth of the state and the willingness of politicians to do anything to get votes – began long before The Donald threw his hair into the ring. Trump is not a political crisis in isolation but, rather, a symptom of wider institutional failure. A symptom of American political decline.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...a-fascist.html

ReputationRep:
    All very well put. When people post those stupid comparisons of Trump and Hitler on facebook, it just shows how little they know about politics or history.

ReputationRep:
    Is Bernie Sanders the new Stalin? Will he kill tens of millions of people, largely Christians? Forced work camps where millions perished?

No, you never see people compared to Stalin only Hitler. Left-tards make me sick not only they can't go five seconds comparing anyone they dislike to Hitler but they love their double standards.

Apparently securing the border where millions come over illegally equals Nazi. But many other countries do the same, including Israel more than anyone....

Why don't people at question time bring this up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ipha)
    Is Bernie Sanders the new Stalin? Will he kill tens of millions of people, largely Christians? Forced work camps where millions perished?

No, you never see people compared to Stalin only Hitler. Left-tards make me sick not only they can't go five seconds comparing anyone they dislike to Hitler but they love their double standards.

Apparently securing the border where millions come over illegally equals Nazi. But many other countries do the same, including Israel more than anyone....

Why don't people at question time bring this up?

churches should be taxed
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AnirudhKots)
    churches should be taxed
    No they shouldnt, be they shouldnt be involved poltics either. Church and state should be seperated.

ReputationRep:
    Fascism is always used against White populations who resist immigration that only leads to the destruction of their population. I'm not sure how this relates to the Nazi's or fascism but I guess they had to call them something and racist just wasn't enough. White supremacist is another.. If you are White, and wish to remain White, you are a supremacist by your enemies.

The truth is Trump isn't even against immigration he's against illegal immigration. There's literally millions of illegals from Mexico who you all know has a huge problem with their drug cartels and crime. The Republican party establishment are bought by billionaires who do not have the interest of Republican voters which is why you get no change. I imagine Britain's parties are the same.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.