Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are some adverts show poor/sick/hungry children but not adults? watch

ReputationRep:
    I do not understand why these adverts about a CHILD in a poor African village who has to walk x miles to get water is shown... (Why does a who is filing her help her?) What about the adults who do that?

I've seen adverts about children with cancer, what about the adults who have cancer?

I don't see adverts about domestic abuse but I see adverts about child abuse... I don't understand, why are people selling children but not adults? Is it because they are cute? Adults are vulnerable too!

ReputationRep:
    Probably because people usually feel more sorry for children since they're so young and fragile.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    People are probably assumed to feel more sympathy for children than they are for adults perhaps?

I've seen so many I worry I've grown immune to it and it no longer has any affect

ReputationRep:
    It's all about the $$$. Think of the children makes $$$ rather than talking the truth. If you ever go to africa, it's nothing like it is on TV. There aren't black kids starving all throughout, hell some places are pretty damn modern.

ReputationRep:
    People more likely to feel sorry for children, not that hard.

ReputationRep:
    I would feel worse if it was dogs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because they are trying to get money out of you by trying to play with your heart strings as people are more likely to give money for kids rather than adults. You have to be stupid to even fall for the ott crap they advertise.

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
    People like to feel sorry for people they feel are weaker than them. Same reason we have animal rights campaigners, chivalry, charity, ...
    Bold statement there

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Do you disagree with it?
    Nah

But you added benefits

I disagree with that...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    People are more likely to be sympathetic towards children (as mentioned above).

But it's certainly true that these problems affect people of all ages :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I have realised this...
    I think it is because people have more sympathy for little children because they have no control over them being poor. With adults, it's more like "it's all their fault" kind of thing- Implying that they have control over them being poor or not.

What you said remind me of this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvoWBbYxdwc

No one paid attention to the older guy, because they think it's completely his fault. Everyone had sympathy for the little kid.

Clever marketing ploy.

ReputationRep:
    personally id love to help the kids, no one wants to see an ill dying child but charity starts at home.
    i spend my life keeping my own kids alive, i havent got the time or money to keep anyone elses alive
    plus, i would probably help our homeless veterans first, before i helped the kids in africa

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.