Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone looked into a raw fruitarian diet? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Do what you want. It's your body.

I take this idea further. Since our earliest ancestors lived anaerobically, we should too.
    But they were ancestors that much more biologically dissimilar. 200,000 years ago we were pretty much the same mf's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YourName___)
    Lightly active? I'm 6'' 186lbs 9% body fat...

There's a reason fruit tastes so good for us, and why we artificially make sweets etc taste like it

Skyr tastes like really dense paste, but if you can put up with that, prepare for a ****ery of gains
    No half decent athlete, amateur or pro, eats 50g of protein. Always more.

You can't build/repair significant amounts of muscle 50 grams of protein. If you're 6ft 186lbs at 9% you are a pretty muscular son of a *****. You either are naturally big, or you built that muscle from training and you did not gain it on 50 grams of protein.

Apparently, the fruit our ancestors consumed were hardly sweet, and we've bred them through the ages for that flavour we enjoy so much. I can't give you a source on this though, I read it somewhere, maybe in a book but can't remember what book.

ReputationRep:
    But they were ancestors that much more biologically dissimilar. 200,000 years ago we were pretty much the same mf's
    Okay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    No half decent athlete, amateur or pro, eats 50g of protein. Always more.

You can't build/repair significant amounts of muscle 50 grams of protein. If you're 6ft 186lbs at 9% you are a pretty muscular son of a *****. You either are naturally big, or you built that muscle from training and you did not gain it on 50 grams of protein.

Apparently, the fruit our ancestors consumed were hardly sweet, and we've bred them through the ages for that flavour we enjoy so much. I can't give you a source on this though, I read it somewhere, maybe in a book but can't remember what book.
    I started training 18 months ago at 17 and was 155lbs 5 11'' 11% body fat. I have no need to increase my protein intake so I guess its just grecian genetics...

And the point you make about sweetness makes a lot of sense.

It is a diet that consists of only exotic fruits (bananas, mangoes, coconuts, dragon fruit, avocado etc) that as animals we would have intrinsically eaten as a primary diet and would have grown in our natural habitat in african rain-forests. But because fruits were at the time a resource, out of our controllable and not abundant enough to support us in primitive tribes we began to hunt. Copying other predators.

My thoughts are that in essence it is sustainable but I believe it is better to have this diet and also eat seeds etc.

I think the concept of returning to our animistic natural diet is really beautiful... what are your thoughts on this?
    JUST F*CKING KILL AN ANIMAL!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Obviously, only shoot it in the head or cut its head off with no pain, and only kill an animal for food or to protect a human, no other reason, otherwise it's torture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Obviously, only shoot it in the head or cut its head off with no pain, and only kill an animal for food or to protect a human, no other reason, otherwise it's torture.
    You clearly haven't read any of his posts, he eats meat.

ReputationRep:
    I started training 18 months ago at 17 and was 155lbs 5 11'' 11% body fat. I have no need to increase my protein intake so I guess its just grecian genetics...

And the point you make about sweetness makes a lot of sense.
    Are you sure you're not actually getting more protein than you realize haha?
    I'm definitely going to buy some of that yogurt. That is going to be my breakfast (with some blueberries).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm not against killing an animal, only against consumerism. And I would not kill an animal to save a human unless I liked the human, as they're both the same to me.

Are you sure you're not actually getting more protein than you realize haha?I'm definitely going to buy some of that yogurt. That is going to be my breakfast (with some blueberries).
    Make sure you mix in a tonne of natural honey because greek yoghurt doesnt taste nice. (bitter tasting). Mix in some dried fruits like dried apricots, some seeds and definitely blueberries.

Mods can you close this ****ery of a thread now, views are too polarized. People are either claiming it is a hippy diet and not critically analyzing it or just dismissing it. Only a few posters providing good content.

ReputationRep:
    YourName___

I think the book is In Defence Of Food which basically advocates we need to eat more veg.

I find the fruitarian approach quite interesting. Paleo/primal fanatics like Mark Sisson advocate less fruit, more veg, more meat. Weird.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily request the thread to be closed? Just ask a mod to clear up the thread, they can delete unconstructive posts if you report them I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I am mostly eating raw, still not 100% 80-10-10 and not 100% raw, but most of my food is raw and close to 80-10-10.
    I like cooking and don't think it is unhealthy, but I do agree that raw fruits and vegs are healthier.

ReputationRep:

Meat is explicitly less nutritionally dense, you're being mislead by the fact that vegetable and fruit have a high volume of water.
    I wasn't suggesting it was but in my own research when i considered becoming a veggie i found a handful of vitamins and minerals that i could not have not acquired without eating meat and since i had no intention of taking supplements i came to the conclusion that should i ever become a veggie i'd still have to find meat once or twice per week.

My point was that since fruit typically has less nutrients than vegetables your only increasing that handful of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    You didn't need to defend me but that is irrelevant because I appreciate that, I liked it a lot.

Nonetheless I thrive in combative environments
    Quite alright. I detest bullies of any variant.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    The fruitarian diet is frankly idiotic and not healthy.

Do some proper (non biased) research into it, along with some proper research into human nutrition to discover why. And stop getting advice from people on YouTube who make money selling this silly diet, which I assume is how you came across this as almost everyone does.

Angry cucumber
    I'll have a riot in here later. Subbing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    I'll have a riot in here later. Subbing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I await riot.

ReputationRep:
    we waiting
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I was going to quote individual posts, but cba cause time. I'll answer some broader misconceptions in this thread. If I missed one, let me know

First - you shouldn't give a **** what your ancestors ate and lived like. Homo sapiens arose from the African savanna and since then we live in brick houses, drive metal boxes and our food does not resemble anything in the wild - any natural argument is a fallacy.

Most people produce lactase and hence are capable of digesting milk as this is an evolutionary advantage from yonks ago and hence people who aren't lactose intolerant can eat and drink dairy perfectly healthy; there's no evidence that pasteurised milk is bad for you.

15g of protein per day is below what is recommended for anyone, athletic or not. Nobody should be eating less than 30-50g depending on your size. If you're athletic, somewhere between 1-1.5g/kg of bw is recommended.

Veganism can be healthy, veganism can be unhealthy much like omnivores. Fruitarian is universally condemned because it's completely unbalanced. Protein springs to mind as to being massively deficient and the micronutrient profile is madness. Whilst the natural argument is a fallacy; you're not a monkey, nor a great ape, you're not built to eat a purely fruit diet. Satiation is a major problem and the list could go on for a while of what else is wrong with it.

If you want to be a vegan - cool, you can be perfectly healthy however fruitarian is extreme and often militant to boot and is unhealthy no matter what the extreme websites say - there's a reason why no-one does it.

Skyr is great btw

Paleo is another dreadful idea

Das it?

ReputationRep:
    I was going to quote individual posts, but cba cause time. I'll answer some broader misconceptions in this thread. If I missed one, let me know

First - you shouldn't give a **** what your ancestors ate and lived like. Homo sapiens arose from the African savanna and since then we live in brick houses, drive metal boxes and our food does not resemble anything in the wild - any natural argument is a fallacy.

Most people produce lactase and hence are capable of digesting milk as this is an evolutionary advantage from yonks ago and hence people who aren't lactose intolerant can eat and drink dairy perfectly healthy; there's no evidence that pasteurised milk is bad for you.

15g of protein per day is below what is recommended for anyone, athletic or not. Nobody should be eating less than 30-50g depending on your size. If you're athletic, somewhere between 1-1.5g/kg of bw is recommended.

Veganism can be healthy, veganism can be unhealthy much like omnivores. Fruitarian is universally condemned because it's completely unbalanced. Protein springs to mind as to being massively deficient and the micronutrient profile is madness. Whilst the natural argument is a fallacy; you're not a monkey, nor a great ape, you're not built to eat a purely fruit diet. Satiation is a major problem and the list could go on for a while of what else is wrong with it.

If you want to be a vegan - cool, you can be perfectly healthy however fruitarian is extreme and often militant to boot and is unhealthy no matter what the extreme websites say - there's a reason why no-one does it.

Skyr is great btw

Paleo is another dreadful idea

Das it?
    Ja, pretty much what I've been saying.

Although I don't agree with paleo being a dreadful idea. But that depends on what you consider paleo. My understanding of it (primal blueprint style eating) is pretty much meat, vegetables, little bit of fruit and nuts. Nothing wrong with that? Yeah they're misinformed about the whole gluten thing, but I don't see how eating those things would be a dreadful idea.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ja, pretty much what I've been saying.

Although I don't agree with paleo being a dreadful idea. But that depends on what you consider paleo. My understanding of it (primal blueprint style eating) is pretty much meat, vegetables, little bit of fruit and nuts. Nothing wrong with that? Yeah they're misinformed about the whole gluten thing, but I don't see how eating those things would be a dreadful idea.
    It won't make you unhealthy, but it's intrinsic link with crossfit, the near eating disorder hatred of gluten and the sheer weight of meat that some paleo eaters advocate is just not a good thing

ReputationRep:
    It won't make you unhealthy, but it's intrinsic link with crossfit, the near eating disorder hatred of gluten and the sheer weight of meat that some paleo eaters advocate is just not a good thing
    Okay....dreadful idea.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2016
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.