Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR, so I've struggled with mental health issues for a long time, which I won't bore you with, which means I have been struggling a lot when it comes to academic subjects, but I am looking to retake my GCSEs (Mathematics, English Language and English Literature) as a "mature student".

I gained mostly grade Es and Fs when I was in secondary school and ended up retaking my Foundation Maths GCSE in college as part of a BTEC course and still only ended up with a D grade, which I wholly blame on myself and I am looking to get at least C grades in Maths, English Lit and English language, but ideally I'd love to do the Higher Tier papers and get something higher.

Does anybody have any experience of retaking GCSEs as an adult with any success? I'm on Employment & Support Allowance, so I'm not too sure on fees and I'm wondering if doing all this would be really worth it.

It's not fun being a NEET, I apologise for the "woe is me" stuff, but I'm just confused and overwhelmed.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misteroldpea)
    Hello TSR, so I've struggled with mental health issues for a long time, which I won't bore you with, which means I have been struggling a lot when it comes to academic subjects, but I am looking to retake my GCSEs (Mathematics, English Language and English Literature) as a "mature student".

I gained mostly grade Es and Fs when I was in secondary school and ended up retaking my Foundation Maths GCSE in college as part of a BTEC course and still only ended up with a D grade, which I wholly blame on myself and I am looking to get at least C grades in Maths, English Lit and English language, but ideally I'd love to do the Higher Tier papers and get something higher.

Does anybody have any experience of retaking GCSEs as an adult with any success? I'm on Employment & Support Allowance, so I'm not too sure on fees and I'm wondering if doing all this would be really worth it.

It's not fun being a NEET, I apologise for the "woe is me" stuff, but I'm just confused and overwhelmed.

Thanks.
    Sorry that I can't offer much in the way of my own experiences as I passed all my GCSE's bar one the first time I did them, however, from my current experiences of retaking a-levels as an adult you would have to either pay fees to study at your local college (which usually includes exam fees) or study independently or with a distance learning institution. With the latter two option you would need to become a private entry candidate for the examinations and pay fees for exam entry

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    i think that people can only resit their GCSEs till 18, after that you don't have to!
    plus i also thought that if you are in college then you don't have to retake GCSEs but if you are in sixth form then you may do
    one of my frind got E's and F's but he got in college and didn't had to retake any

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Sorry that I can't offer much in the way of my own experiences as I passed all my GCSE's bar one the first time I did them, however, from my current experiences of retaking a-levels as an adult you would have to either pay fees to study at your local college (which usually includes exam fees) or study independently or with a distance learning institution. With the latter two option you would need to become a private entry candidate for the examinations and pay fees for exam entry
    Would I be able to get any sort of assistance, for example, with study skills and help with my maths?

ReputationRep:
    Would I be able to get any sort of assistance, for example, with study skills and help with my maths?
    I think you can get help with English, Maths and ICT skills for free off the government especially if you're unemployed. I don't know if it's up to GCSE level though; your best bet would be to look on the citizens advice or ring them up because I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Do an access course in college its for people above 18 no need for GCSEs and shortcut to any university you desire you can do it for science humanities etc and it will be sufficient for your uni application...if it is uni that youre heading towards...

ReputationRep:
    I think people are stepping ahead and wavering away from what you're asking. Yes, you can retake GCSE's as an adult, contact a college and they will probably enroll you onto September 2016 to do the year course for your GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Also at this; as I said, if you are enrolled as an internal applicant to a college to do GCSE maths and English, you will get support there as well as online support. If you ring a college up and they'd prefer you to take the exams as an external applicant without any lesson time, there's plenty of revision guides and online resources now that would support you just as well / possibly better than a teacher would

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malaikaxx)
    Do an access course in college its for people above 18 no need for GCSEs and shortcut to any university you desire you can do it for science humanities etc and it will be sufficient for your uni application...if it is uni that youre heading towards...
    I think you quoted the wrong person here mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malaikaxx)
    Almost all universities have specific GCSE requirements that need to be obtained as well as an Access to HE course. Most colleges won't accept people for Access without English Language, Maths and possibly Science dependant on the course in question.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Pretty much any further education college will offer adult classes to retake GCSE's. You can also do distance learning with National Extension College. I don't have any experience of the latter but am resisting Maths this year to get into uni as a mature student. The college I'm at offer extra support for Maths and English if it's required.

ReputationRep:
    My understanding is that you might be able to do Maths and English Language courses for free if you don't have them at a C grade already - I suggest you go and ask at your local college. I think you might finding the English Literature hard to achieve as not many places offer it to mature students and it's likely to cost you.

I'd start by seeing if you could find a course you could enroll on. If you can it will probably be to take the exams in Summer 2017. If you can't find one and you can summon up the motivation to teach yourself, then it is It is possible to take Maths and English Language in the Autumn/Winter and the summer. There are lots of resources for Maths online and you'd need to aim at taking it in November (entry deadline 4 October) or next Summer (entry deadline 21 February). You need to get looking for an exam centre to accept you (=any secondary school or college) well in advance of this. For English you would have to take IGCSE as it has a no coursework option and the one I'd recommend is the Edexcel one available in January (entry deadline 21 Oct) or the Summer (21 Feb). If you have to go down this route then ask for more advice when you know you need it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.