Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research Watch

• View Poll Results: What topics will you be picking for Unit 3?
    Energy Security
    70.76%
    Water Conflicts
    57.14%
    Biodiversity Under Threat
    37.87%
    Bridging the Development Gap
    37.21%
    The Technological Fix
    24.25%

ReputationRep:
    We've been told to do a methodology table after the intro as well as credit throughout

ReputationRep:
    For anyone doing The Development Gap for Section A, here is some great stuff about Dhaka.

Dhaka is a megacity under stress. With an expected population of over 22 million by the end of the decade, it has one of the highest population densities in the world.

Its rapid growth is due to: natural increase, large volumes of rural-urban migration due to a lack of job opportunities in rural areas as well as an increasing number of natural hazards (earthquakes, floods). They move to Dhaka to free themselves of extreme poverty and they perceive Dhaka as a holy grail in terms of job opportunities, healthcare, water, food and general quality of life. Unfortunately, the situation in Dhaka is creating a plethora of management problems.

Employment- Dhaka has strong growth in manufacturing, finance, telecommunications and finance. Dhaka is home to 80% of the garment industries 2 million employees. This fact attracts migrant workers such as hawkers and refuse cyclers. HOWEVER, unemployment remains high at around 25%, women are excluded from working in transport, services and trade. Child labor is also very high in the poorest households. What is the solution/recently developments? Two export processing zones home to 413 industries were set up to encourage garment and textile exports. Basundhara City is a developing economic area with high-tech industries , business corporations and one of the largest malls in Asia.

Urban Poor- Unfortunately, residential land is too EXPENSIVE for the urban poor to purchase. Only 5% live in permanent housing. Rents increase as demand outstrips supply. This means many migrants end up in crowded slums in flood-risk areas. About 4.2 million people live in slums. Such slums have few clinics and government schools. Slums are also controlled by gangs. What is the solution/recent developments? There have been government improvements to drain and sanitation. The Ghore Fera is a "back to home programme" which provides transportation, resettlement, income-generation loans, to help migrants return to villages. There has been healthcare development and dormitory accommodation for female garment workers. There has also been work with local communities to build trust in the legal system and reduce violent crime.

Environmental Quality- fThere is air pollution due to unregulated economic expansion. Most poor people lack clean water and sanitation, relying on tube wells. Many depend on biomass for cooking which negatively affects their health. This results in poor air quality, respiratory infections and diarrhea. Only 27% of the Dhaka population is connected to the public sewer system. What is the solution/recent developments? There has been increased promotion of cleaner gas-powered cooking stoves. Rickshaws are now run on compressed natural gas. There has been work to improve water, food and sanitation supplies. The sewer repair will cost around $100 million.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99joey)
    These are the timing suggested by my teacher and I just stick to them, no matter what, if I don't finish I just move on to next question
    Section A:
    10 marker - 16 minutes
    15 marker - 24 minutes
    Section B:12 marker - 21 minutes
    16 marker -28 minutes
    Unit 4:
    Plan - 7 minutes
    Introduction - 18 minutes
    Methods Table - 5 minutes
    Analysis and sub-conclusion - 45 minutes
    Conclusion - 10 minutes
    Hope that helps
    This guy is a joke, gets all his answers from his mates

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean, the introduction is a large part, you have to do all necessary definitions, provide the focus of the report and give the framework and justification of the case studies you will be using, its a big section, I'm do about 2 pages roughly for the introduction which is like a 15 marker in effect and so far I'm only getting 8/10 so even then I'm not doing enoug
    I guess youre right, how do you plan on doing the methodology in 5 minutes? just a quick table few sources and quick evaluation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCube97)
    This guy is a joke, gets all his answers from his mates
    If by mates, you mean teachers, then yes I do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrdinaryStudent)
    I guess youre right, how do you plan on doing the methodology in 5 minutes? just a quick table few sources and quick evaluation?
    Yeah basically, you use the same 5 sources for every essay therefore you should have the table structure completely memorised so that you can produce it within 5 minutes in the exam. The evaluation can be within the table, with a simple 'Reason for choosing source' column where you discuss the reliability of it and its purpose etc.Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me the structure of the Economic, Social and Environmental Factors, like what exactly are we meant to reference, I believe for social its quality of life, life expectancy and job opportunities etc. but that's all I have, can anyone think of other sections that would fit into these three?Hope that made sense what I am asking

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone learning their 70 marker? So much to remember!!

ReputationRep:
    If by mates, you mean teachers, then yes I do
    Oh yeah I forgot you have no actual mates...
    But that is the structure for anyone who needs it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newt1)
    How is everyone learning their 70 marker? So much to remember!!
    Summarising key points, learning a brief plan. Learning key numbers and briefly what happened for every case study. The introduction will be nearly the exact same for every essay so learn the introduction, same with methodology.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, wtf is the world systems theory? It sounds really similar to the dependency theory just with semi-periphery/external chucked in?

ReputationRep:
    With the Edexcel Unit 3 Exam next Thursday afternoon, I am intensively revising, but still need notes in order to fully answer a question? I am becoming increasingly unconfident about achieving an A with such short time.

What tips would you have to fully cement these facts in my head, especially with only a week left now?

Should I focus on essay planning now or more learning facts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seths)
    With the Edexcel Unit 3 Exam next Thursday afternoon, I am intensively revising, but still need notes in order to fully answer a question? I am becoming increasingly unconfident about achieving an A with such short time.

What tips would you have to fully cement these facts in my head, especially with only a week left now?

what topics are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrdinaryStudent)
    what topics are you doing?
    Development Gap, Energy Security & Tech Fix

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean, the introduction is a large part, you have to do all necessary definitions, provide the focus of the report and give the framework and justification of the case studies you will be using, its a big section, I'm do about 2 pages roughly for the introduction which is like a 15 marker in effect and so far I'm only getting 8/10 so even then I'm not doing enoug
    Should be more time on the conclusion tbh. And why so long on the plan. It can be like 3 minutes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seths)

You should have learnt the facts beforehand, so yeah I'd say keep learning them now. And do timed essays without notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fahmidaakthar)
    Should be more time on the conclusion tbh. And why so long on the plan. It can be like 3 minutes
    True, well anyway that is the time allocation that my teacher gave us but yeah I do agree, you should take time from that and allocate it towards analyse and conclusion, however you do need to make sure you have a good plan, especially if you don't finish the entire report in time as the plan can tell the examiner how you would have continued

ReputationRep:
    I'm choosing Biodiversity Under Thread and The Technological Fix?

Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Any more predictions for section B questions?

ReputationRep:
    For 'life on the margins', in terms of political factors what case studies will you use? or for case studies like China or Sudan what would you say the political factors are and would you judge them as the most significant reason for food supply inequality?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.