Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research Watch

• View Poll Results: What topics will you be picking for Unit 3?
    Energy Security
    70.76%
    Water Conflicts
    57.14%
    Biodiversity Under Threat
    37.87%
    Bridging the Development Gap
    37.21%
    The Technological Fix
    24.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LevelEconomist)
    Disruption to energy pathways- what are the economic impacts and political impacts of such a disruption?

What case studies would everyone use? I'm thinking Russia/Ukraine conflict, Middle East conflict, anything else?

Here is a Gulf War fact:
    In 1991, 600 Kuwaiti oil wells were set on fire by Iraqi troops after the first Gulf War. The fires burned for 8 months. Not only did this impact upon the oil production of the country, but caused great economic losses in the economy, as services were also required to put the fire out.
    6 million barrels of oil lost per day.

ReputationRep:
    I think something worth mentioning is Hurricane Ike. The natural hazard caused a dramatic increase in gas prices in the south-east Texas region.
    You could mention Hurricane Katerina or Buncefield fuel depot, fire caused £10 million loss in fuel, supplied nearby airport of Heathrow, so airport had to ration fuel and many long haul flights had to make extra stops to fuel up.

ReputationRep:
    Could I get away with using water and energy stats for China and India as well as all the stuff in the pre release for section B of the paper? Havent really revised for section B as most of it seems to be in the paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom5pence)
    Could I get away with using water and energy stats for China and India as well as all the stuff in the pre release for section B of the paper? Havent really revised for section B as most of it seems to be in the paper
    Yeah I think examiners like it when you link the sections together

ReputationRep:
    Disruption to energy pathways- what are the economic impacts and political impacts of such a disruption?

What case studies would everyone use? I'm thinking Russia/Ukraine conflict, Middle East conflict, anything else?

Here is a Gulf War fact:
    In 1991, 600 Kuwaiti oil wells were set on fire by Iraqi troops after the first Gulf War. The fires burned for 8 months. Not only did this impact upon the oil production of the country, but caused great economic losses in the economy, as services were also required to put the fire out.
    Could use things such as the France oil blockade this year, or the Fuel protests in the UK in 2000, both changed the prices quite dramatically. I'd also mention Buncefield explosion in 2004, piracy in chokepoints like the Strait of Malacca and terrorist attacks like Abqaiq 2006.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=A-LevelEconomist;65563973]Disruption to energy pathways- what are the economic impacts and political impacts of such a disruption?

Here is a Gulf War fact:
    In 1991, 600 Kuwaiti oil wells were set on fire by Iraqi troops after the first Gulf War. The fires burned for 8 months. Not only did this impact upon the oil production of the country, but caused great economic losses in the economy, as services were also required to put the fire out.[/QUOTE/] Not sure, I am pretty sure that came up before

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else starting to freak out??? I feel like I know nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mru491)
    Yeah I think examiners like it when you link the sections together
    Oh thank god

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econam)
    Anyone got any good ideas or notes on the MDGs? Like if they were met/criticisms. Thanks
    I know that China met theirs and I am sort of sure that India did, which probably helps with the synoptic stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadrxj)
    Could use things such as the France oil blockade this year, or the Fuel protests in the UK in 2000, both changed the prices quite dramatically. I'd also mention Buncefield explosion in 2004, piracy in chokepoints like the Strait of Malacca and terrorist attacks like Abqaiq 2006.
    France is a brilliant idea because the exam boards love it if you use recent stuff to show you are keeping upto date with the news and subject. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    examples of top-down and bottom-up case studies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshFlySon)
    examples of top-down and bottom-up case studies?
    The Three Gorges dam (also good for the superpower section) as top-down
    Micro-hydro schemes in Peru (bottom up, NGO funded)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlohaCharlotte)
    Is anyone else starting to freak out??? I feel like I know nothing
    i feel the exact same! done like no revision as i had an exam today and yesterday

ReputationRep:
    For Biodiversity : Sustainable Yield Management

southern ocean fisheries.. was this scheme a success ?

ReputationRep:
    The Three Gorges dam (also good for the superpower section) as top-down
    Micro-hydro schemes in Peru (bottom up, NGO funded)
    thank you! just saw that the NGO that does this (Practical Action) also do these in Kenya as well

ReputationRep:
    so guys for superpower the questions that may come up are according to me
    1.access /evaluatewhether China and India can become the next superpower?
    2.about sustainability
    3. howwill future climate change effect growth of china/india

for bridging maybe
    1.evaluationof the role or success of global frameworks, such as the MDGs, in reducing thegap?
    2.something about development goals

i have no idea what will come up for biodiversity, does anyone have any idea and prediction of what may come up for superpower and bridging ? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CriminalMinds)
    France is a brilliant idea because the exam boards love it if you use recent stuff to show you are keeping upto date with the news and subject. Thanks.
    no problem, also have been told to use the Canada forest fires, as they have effected Fort McMurray, Athabasca and the Tar Sands! very recent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laksi)
    2.about sustainability

for bridging maybe
    1.evaluationof the role or success of global frameworks, such as the MDGs, in reducing thegap?

i have no idea what will come up for biodiversity, does anyone have any idea and prediction of what may come up for superpower and bridging ? thanks
    for BDG - I think something to do with reducing the development gap - approaches, theories, future actions, MDGS

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any question predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laksi)
    2.about sustainability

for bridging maybe

I think the sustainability and climate change questions are too narrow- I hope they don't asks us that.. I mean what more than 4 marks worth can you write for questions like that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.