Turn on thread page Beta

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research watch

• View Poll Results: What topics will you be picking for Unit 3?
    Energy Security
    70.76%
    Water Conflicts
    57.14%
    Biodiversity Under Threat
    37.87%
    Bridging the Development Gap
    37.21%
    The Technological Fix
    24.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshFlySon)
    for BDG - I think something to do with reducing the development gap - approaches, theories, future actions, MDGS
    This would be great!

ReputationRep:
    Its important to note that the UK actually imports most of its gas from Norway and Qatar and only a small amount from Russia.

Therefore any geo-political issues in Russia will not greatly affect UK supplies of gas, more so just the price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LevelEconomist)
    Its important to note that the UK actually imports most of its gas from Norway and Qatar and only a small amount from Russia.

Therefore any geo-political issues in Russia will not greatly affect UK supplies of gas, more so just the price.
    I read that it was as a result of the Russia - Ukraine crisis that many EU countries including the UK where pushed to diversify energy sources and where it imports from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LevelEconomist)
    This would be great!
    I think A will be assess data of MDGs and the second may be explaining how things like MDGs can help (or not help) lower the development gap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlohaCharlotte)
    I read that it was as a result of the Russia - Ukraine crisis that many EU countries including the UK where pushed to diversify energy sources and where it imports from?
    yeah thats right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by invisiblegirl)
    i feel the exact same! done like no revision as i had an exam today and yesterday
    I've been 100% focused on bio and chem...

ReputationRep:
    What timings does everybody go by for this exam? More unsure on how long to spend on each question on section B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrissy.98)
    I agree about the pre-release. I'm so hoping it will be on the lines of a)to what extent are they economic superpowers b)assess political systems on development c)are population and resource trends sustainable

What do you think could come up for megacities? and I don't see how they can ask the contributions of the MDGs to development as these are targets not a strategy
    Thanks (I'm also suffering with economics as I see your username!)
    I thought this, surely there couldnt be a 15 marker on just MDG's?

ReputationRep:
    I've been 100% focused on bio and chem...
    Same. Done barely any revision since Easter on geography (focus on chem, maths and eng lit). Hoping for nice energy/water questions..

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing BDG and Energy security. I don't feel prepared one bit!! Focused too much on chemistry and biology. Any predictions for energy?
    I see that for BDG the prediction is reducing the gap.. Would that be stuff like aid and MDGS?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any good points worth noting about the pre release, I haven't really looked at it very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrissy.98)
    I agree about the pre-release. I'm so hoping it will be on the lines of a)to what extent are they economic superpowers b)assess political systems on development c)are population and resource trends sustainable

What do you think could come up for megacities? and I don't see how they can ask the contributions of the MDGs to development as these are targets not a strategy
    Thanks (I'm also suffering with economics as I see your username!)
    What could you say about the political systems on development?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    Same. Done barely any revision since Easter on geography (focus on chem, maths and eng lit). Hoping for nice energy/water questions..
    Hoping for nice development, energy or tech questions here

ReputationRep:
    On the specification it mentions Bankok as a case study for BDG. I don't have this, is Bangalore okay as an alternative?

ReputationRep:
    Hoping for nice development, energy or tech questions here
    Also is it just me or can you just 'wing' the synoptic? Can use general knowledge/stuff i already know pretty much, just hope it doesnt get too specific with models and the like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12345hhjjkkll)
    What could you say about the political systems on development?????
    India has a democracy - this could mean the best people get in to help development BUT pre-release says India spends on subsidies (not really sustainable) and has high poverty.
    China has communism - could mean that they spend on wrong things e.g. military as shown BUT it is focusing on improving human capital and infrastructure which improves development, similar to the approach of South Korea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saira123x)
    I'm doing BDG and Energy security. I don't feel prepared one bit!! Focused too much on chemistry and biology. Any predictions for energy?
    I see that for BDG the prediction is reducing the gap.. Would that be stuff like aid and MDGS?
    Yes, more specifically:
    - theories (neo-liberal, Marxist, populism grassroots) - not too important
    - Aid strategies - top down vs bottom up
    - Trade and investment in reducing the gap (fair trade as well)
    - future of the development gap - future actions: debt cancellation, tourism, technology, south-south links - possibly MDG as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshFlySon)
    Yes, more specifically:
    - theories (neo-liberal, Marxist, populism grassroots) - not too important
    - Aid strategies - top down vs bottom up
    - Trade and investment in reducing the gap (fair trade as well)
    - future of the development gap - future actions: debt cancellation, tourism, technology, south-south links - possibly MDG as well
    Thanks.. I don't know any of the theories, is it worth learning? We weren't taught them!
    For aid I've got 2 case studies to compare.
    Fair trade in Uganda? Is that reducing the gap?
    Could I talk about how debt cancellations have already helped Uganda in terms of primary education is now free and link this to the MDG about education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    Also is it just me or can you just 'wing' the synoptic? Can use general knowledge/stuff i already know pretty much, just hope it doesnt get too specific with models and the like.
    I thinks its amazing the synoptic because its as if if you keep on top of global politics and conflict you know 110% what to talk about. China in the South Sea for example.

Or USA-China declining relations - it's my personal goal to try to quote donald trump in my essays :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saira123x)
    On the specification it mentions Bankok as a case study for BDG. I don't have this, is Bangalore okay as an alternative?
    Yes that is fine,

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.