The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlohaCharlotte
I read that it was as a result of the Russia - Ukraine crisis that many EU countries including the UK where pushed to diversify energy sources and where it imports from?

yeah thats right
Original post by invisiblegirl
i feel the exact same! done like no revision as i had an exam today and yesterday :frown:

I've been 100% focused on bio and chem...
Reply 462
What timings does everybody go by for this exam? More unsure on how long to spend on each question on section B
Reply 463
Original post by Chrissy.98
I agree about the pre-release. I'm so hoping it will be on the lines of a)to what extent are they economic superpowers b)assess political systems on development c)are population and resource trends sustainable

What do you think could come up for megacities? and I don't see how they can ask the contributions of the MDGs to development as these are targets not a strategy
Thanks :smile: (I'm also suffering with economics as I see your username!)

I thought this, surely there couldnt be a 15 marker on just MDG's?
I've been 100% focused on bio and chem...

Same. Done barely any revision since Easter on geography (focus on chem, maths and eng lit). Hoping for nice energy/water questions..
I'm doing BDG and Energy security. I don't feel prepared one bit!! Focused too much on chemistry and biology. Any predictions for energy?
I see that for BDG the prediction is reducing the gap.. Would that be stuff like aid and MDGS?
does anyone have any good points worth noting about the pre release, I haven't really looked at it very much
Original post by Chrissy.98
I agree about the pre-release. I'm so hoping it will be on the lines of a)to what extent are they economic superpowers b)assess political systems on development c)are population and resource trends sustainable

What do you think could come up for megacities? and I don't see how they can ask the contributions of the MDGs to development as these are targets not a strategy
Thanks :smile: (I'm also suffering with economics as I see your username!)

What could you say about the political systems on development?????
Original post by itsConnor_
Same. Done barely any revision since Easter on geography (focus on chem, maths and eng lit). Hoping for nice energy/water questions..

Hoping for nice development, energy or tech questions here
On the specification it mentions Bankok as a case study for BDG. I don't have this, is Bangalore okay as an alternative?
Hoping for nice development, energy or tech questions here

Also is it just me or can you just 'wing' the synoptic? Can use general knowledge/stuff i already know pretty much, just hope it doesnt get too specific with models and the like.
Original post by 12345hhjjkkll
What could you say about the political systems on development?????

India has a democracy - this could mean the best people get in to help development BUT pre-release says India spends on subsidies (not really sustainable) and has high poverty.
China has communism - could mean that they spend on wrong things e.g. military as shown BUT it is focusing on improving human capital and infrastructure which improves development, similar to the approach of South Korea.
Original post by saira123x
I'm doing BDG and Energy security. I don't feel prepared one bit!! Focused too much on chemistry and biology. Any predictions for energy?
I see that for BDG the prediction is reducing the gap.. Would that be stuff like aid and MDGS?

Yes, more specifically:
- theories (neo-liberal, Marxist, populism grassroots) - not too important
- Aid strategies - top down vs bottom up
- Trade and investment in reducing the gap (fair trade as well)
- future of the development gap - future actions: debt cancellation, tourism, technology, south-south links - possibly MDG as well
Original post by JoshFlySon
Yes, more specifically:
- theories (neo-liberal, Marxist, populism grassroots) - not too important
- Aid strategies - top down vs bottom up
- Trade and investment in reducing the gap (fair trade as well)
- future of the development gap - future actions: debt cancellation, tourism, technology, south-south links - possibly MDG as well

Thanks.. I don't know any of the theories, is it worth learning? We weren't taught them!
For aid I've got 2 case studies to compare.
Fair trade in Uganda? Is that reducing the gap?
Could I talk about how debt cancellations have already helped Uganda in terms of primary education is now free and link this to the MDG about education?
Original post by itsConnor_
Also is it just me or can you just 'wing' the synoptic? Can use general knowledge/stuff i already know pretty much, just hope it doesnt get too specific with models and the like.

I thinks its amazing the synoptic because its as if if you keep on top of global politics and conflict you know 110% what to talk about. China in the South Sea for example.

Or USA-China declining relations - it's my personal goal to try to quote donald trump in my essays :')
On the specification it mentions Bankok as a case study for BDG. I don't have this, is Bangalore okay as an alternative?

Yes that is fine,
Anyone got any energy security predictions? So rubbish at this topic!!
Thanks.. I don't know any of the theories, is it worth learning? We weren't taught them!
For aid I've got 2 case studies to compare.
Fair trade in Uganda? Is that reducing the gap?
Could I talk about how debt cancellations have already helped Uganda in terms of primary education is now free and link this to the MDG about education?

Theories (quick summary)
- Neo-liberalism - focuses on globalisation and growth of global economy - supports economic liberalisation policies such as free trade and deregulation - can be used to explain the rise of the NICs
- Marxism - Argues that only government led top down approaches can narrow the gap - state ownership and control of industry - profits redistributed into healthcare and education - limited investment and involvement in world trade - Example: Cuba - has resulted in reduction in poverty and near 100% literacy rates
- Populism - Idea that supports the people in the struggle against society's elite - Suggests left-wing grassroots approach to reduce the gap
- Grassroots - looks to NGOs and a pragmatic approach - puts emphasis on sustainable development and small scale local projects
To be honest, these would probably not come up, so wouldn't bother learning them

Aid - Yes have examples of top-down and bottom-up
Fairtrade - Yes in Uganda - the Gumutindo coffee co-operative is one in the textbook
Reply 478
Does anyone have a idea of what they'll ask for technological fix and energy security?
I though they might ask about the effectiveness of technological leapfrogging in narrowing the development gap for tech fix
Reply 479
why does everyone think that MDGs are gonna come?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending