Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research Watch

• View Poll Results: What topics will you be picking for Unit 3?
    Energy Security
    70.76%
    Water Conflicts
    57.14%
    Biodiversity Under Threat
    37.87%
    Bridging the Development Gap
    37.21%
    The Technological Fix
    24.25%

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any energy security predictions? So rubbish at this topic!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T1221)
    What timings does everybody go by for this exam? More unsure on how long to spend on each question on section B
    Same here, I'm not sure how long to spend on each question in section B either, any help would be great!

For section A I think we are advised to spend 80 minutes so around 40 minutes per question.

I try to spend at least 5 minutes planning for Part B questions and 5 minutes to check my answers so around 30 minutes of a actual writing time in total for both part questions. Repeat for the second question. If I can plan my answer faster then I use the crucial extra minutes on writing for longer for Part B questions. It's a race against time, I've never finished exactly on time before

But one piece of advice my teacher always gives me. No matter how hard it is and how wrong it feels when time is up stop writing and move on to the next question as you are always guaranteed to gain more marks in the next question than trying to perfect or finish off the previous one.

Good luck for tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saira123x)
    Thanks.. I don't know any of the theories, is it worth learning? We weren't taught them!
    For aid I've got 2 case studies to compare.
    Fair trade in Uganda? Is that reducing the gap?
    Could I talk about how debt cancellations have already helped Uganda in terms of primary education is now free and link this to the MDG about education?
    Theories (quick summary)
    - Neo-liberalism - focuses on globalisation and growth of global economy - supports economic liberalisation policies such as free trade and deregulation - can be used to explain the rise of the NICs
    - Marxism - Argues that only government led top down approaches can narrow the gap - state ownership and control of industry - profits redistributed into healthcare and education - limited investment and involvement in world trade - Example: Cuba - has resulted in reduction in poverty and near 100% literacy rates
    - Populism - Idea that supports the people in the struggle against society's elite - Suggests left-wing grassroots approach to reduce the gap
    - Grassroots - looks to NGOs and a pragmatic approach - puts emphasis on sustainable development and small scale local projects
    To be honest, these would probably not come up, so wouldn't bother learning them

Aid - Yes have examples of top-down and bottom-up
    Fairtrade - Yes in Uganda - the Gumutindo coffee co-operative is one in the textbook

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a idea of what they'll ask for technological fix and energy security?
    I though they might ask about the effectiveness of technological leapfrogging in narrowing the development gap for tech fix

ReputationRep:
    why does everyone think that MDGs are gonna come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mru491)
    why does everyone think that MDGs are gonna come?
    They finished at the end of 2015. It would make a lot of sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlohaCharlotte)
    They finished at the end of 2015. It would make a lot of sense
    Oh ok, haven't done much on that, what case studies would you use for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saira123x)
    Anyone got any energy security predictions? So rubbish at this topic!!
    I think costs and benefits of looking for new sources - Canada tar sands, Arctic oil (ANWR), fracking in UK and US, West Shetland UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshFlySon)
    I think costs and benefits of looking for new sources - Canada tar sands, Arctic oil (ANWR), fracking in UK and US, West Shetland UK
    Do renewables and recyclable count as new sources?

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for water?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrissy.98)
    Do renewables and recyclable count as new sources?
    yes they are new sources and maybe could be used - depends on question - the bit in the spec I am referring to says about exploration of technically difficult and sensitive areas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mru491)
    Oh ok, haven't done much on that, what case studies would you use for it?
    I don't think it'll be a straight up 15 marker - i think its more likely to be a 10 marker.

ReputationRep:
    • 50% of Indians don’t have proper shelter;
    • 70% don’t have access to decent toilets (which inspires a multitude of bacteria to host their own disease party);
    • 35% of households don’t have a nearby water source;
    • 85% of villages don’t have a secondary school (how can this be the same government claiming 9% annual growth?);
    • Over 40% of these same villages don’t have proper roads connecting them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrdinaryStudent)
    yeah thats right
    I was just reading an examiner report and it said that the UK imports most of its gas from Qatar and Norway, it is still affected by Russia, but not the extent that everyone assumes.

ReputationRep:
    Any information on arctic exploration and UK fracking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LevelEconomist)
    Any information on arctic exploration and UK fracking?
    UK fracking just got approved in Yorkshire despite a protest by locals called "Frack Off"

Cancelled in Blackpool due to 2 minor earthquakes caused by it.

ReputationRep:
    Question prediction for tomorrow's exam:

Suggest reasons for the progress achieved from the MillenniumDevelopment Goal targets.

This is adapted from the JUNE 2012 question.

ReputationRep:
    Any biodiversity predictions?

ReputationRep:
    A possible energy question:
    - Assess reasons why access to and consumption of energy resources varies around the world?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know reasons to why the Dependency and world systems theory is not good?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.