Turn on thread page Beta

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research watch

• View Poll Results: What topics will you be picking for Unit 3?
    Energy Security
    70.76%
    Water Conflicts
    57.14%
    Biodiversity Under Threat
    37.87%
    Bridging the Development Gap
    37.21%
    The Technological Fix
    24.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shepherd018)
    What did people put for the Water question part A??
    Causes
    - Copenhagen water better quality therefore higher price
    - Nairobi and Lagos- bottled water as there isn't the technology available to develop water taps for homes- thus, the vendors charge a higher price
    - uk- lots of supply therefore price is relatively cheap
    - China and India- lots of supplies, however very polluted so price is low

Consequences
    -Famine and severe insecurity in Kenya and Nigeria
    -Poorest people can't afford water in Copenhagen
    - In India and China cheap price means people can afford the water, however quality is poor and much is undrinkable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LevelEconomist)
    What did everyone write for section B part B-the 10 marker?
    I said that political system does have a massive influence as it is ultimately responsible for social progress. I said communism is influential in allowing China to beat India on basic human needs through strict residency rules preventing urban poor and in terms of economic planning and being able to build infrastructure easily. Then talked about poor opportunity score because of heavy suppression of information ect.

What did you write?

ReputationRep:
    What actually was the question for water? All my friends are saying it was terrible but I can't remember what it asked!

Section B was horrendous! My structure was terrible in an attempt to produce some kind of an answer and my synoptic links were so forced and disjointed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrdinaryStudent)
    that was the most disgusting thing ive seen, what did you write for b?
    its was disgusting... for B i wrote about the sustainable strategies such as restoration (aral sea), conservation and bottom up projects using appropriate technology. I argued that Sustainable strategies are difficult to implement on a large scale like china due to there rapid growth and that large scale projects like the Three Gorges Dam and South North water project are needed to meet demand

What did others put?!

ReputationRep:
    its was disgusting... for B i wrote about the sustainable strategies such as restoration (aral sea), conservation and bottom up projects using appropriate technology. I argued that Sustainable strategies are difficult to implement on a large scale like china due to there rapid growth and that large scale projects like the Three Gorges Dam and South North water project are needed to meet demand

What did others put?!
    Similar to me. I also mentioned an attitudinal fix was necessary otherwise demand will never be met

ReputationRep:
    Section b)

a)
    China advantages - less reliance on imports, more spending on infrastructure and high SDI.
    China disadvantages - Ageing population, inefficient economy (communism) and not as good at 'doing business'.
    India advantages - good at 'doing business', free market, positive correlation between level of democracy and GDP per person, working population.
    India disadvantages - reliance on foreign imports for energy, corruption and high levels of poverty.

b)
    Marxism (China) - inefficient economy, state controlled and inclusive.
    Capitalism (India) - Higher levels of wealth disparity, poverty and reliance on foreign imports.

I argued that there was no evidence to link political systems to the SDI score, because the highest SDI scores were of countries whose political systems are democracies, like NZ and the UK. Figure 5 (?) also showed a positive correlation between level of democracy and GDP per capita.

c)
    2030: India emerging superpower, China a potential superpower
    2050: India and China a potential superpower.

I argued that although China will overtake the US in terms of economic development, they don't have the level of global influence as the US does and many of views commented on how the Chinese economy is both inefficient and state controlled.

ReputationRep:

What did others put?!
    i talked about conservation recycling reusing water harvesting drip irrigation etc and said how it can meet demand to an extewnt however they are difficult to implement due to opinions, and i used the 3 gorges for comparison at one point not sure if thats right :/

ReputationRep:
    I F*cked up that paper so much, my structure was terrible and the shock of section B made me completely forgot about how you had to use synoptic links

ReputationRep:
    For the synoptic economies question I mentioned more spending on infrastructure and more TNC's for China meaning more trade which would increase the strength of their economy

ReputationRep:
    God that was pretty Awful. Energy was easy then it all turned to **** from water onwards. How the hell where we meant to know the exact geographical locations of each city and why the citys water cost were as cheap/expensive as they were?

ReputationRep:
    Section B was so bad. The grade boundaries better be low

ReputationRep:
    Could you put desalination in the water B question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom5pence)
    God that was pretty Awful. Energy was easy then it all turned to **** from water onwards. How the hell where we meant to know the exact geographical locations of each city and why the citys water cost were as cheap/expensive as they were?
    yes i completely agree lol that source question was absolutely horrible! What did you write for b? I talked about conservation recyclying/reusing and new technologies such as drip irrigation water harvesting etc im not sure if thats completely right i talked about both negative and positives of the strategies

ReputationRep:
    yes i completely agree lol that source question was absolutely horrible! What did you write for b? I talked about conservation recyclying/reusing and new technologies such as drip irrigation water harvesting etc im not sure if thats completely right i talked about both negative and positives of the strategies
    Ah i didnt write about that! Me and my mate wrote about transboundrary laws and law of the river, so that water if fairly distributed (Colarado river) in order too meet demand, as well water pathaways (snowy mountain scheme in Australia and the Water transfer scheme in China, to help area's with increasing demands yet with insufficient rainfall patterns)

ReputationRep:
    Ah i didnt write about that! Me and my mate wrote about transboundrary laws and law of the river, so that water if fairly distributed (Colarado river) in order too meet demand, as well water pathaways (snowy mountain scheme in Australia and the Water transfer scheme in China, to help area's with increasing demands yet with insufficient rainfall patterns)
    but isnt the snowy mountains scheme not sustainable?

ReputationRep:
    I did Energy and Tech Fix. I feel like I was the only one to do it. Anyone else pick Tech Fix?

As soon as I saw water, I avoided it so fast and went to tech.

What did people put for Tech Fix part A and B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    Section b)

a)
    China advantages - less reliance on imports, more spending on infrastructure and high SDI.
    China disadvantages - Ageing population, inefficient economy (communism) and not as good at 'doing business'.
    India advantages - good at 'doing business', free market, positive correlation between level of democracy and GDP per person, working population.
    India disadvantages - reliance on foreign imports for energy, corruption and high levels of poverty.

b)
    Marxism (China) - inefficient economy, state controlled and inclusive.
    Capitalism (India) - Higher levels of wealth disparity, poverty and reliance on foreign imports.

I argued that there was no evidence to link political systems to the SDI score, because the highest SDI scores were of countries whose political systems are democracies, like NZ and the UK. Figure 5 (?) also showed a positive correlation between level of democracy and GDP per capita.

c)
    2030: India emerging superpower, China a potential superpower
    2050: India and China a potential superpower.

I argued that although China will overtake the US in terms of economic development, they don't have the level of global influence as the US does and many of views commented on how the Chinese economy is both inefficient and state controlled.
    For (b) I didn't mention NZ or the UK, but I argued that India's democracy has held its economic growth back compared to China (accountability of the government so has to consider workers' rights and environmental protection), hence the lower SPI. I expect that the mark scheme will credit either approach, as long as arguments aren't overly biased.

For (c) I argued that China could be a superpower by 2030 if it increases cultural exports, and India will be a potential superpower. For 2050, I said that it is more difficult to predict, as the effects of climate change and the growth of the other BRICs and MINTs on the growth of China and India are unpredictable, so it could be a multi-polar world.

ReputationRep:
    I think i won't be going to uni because of that paper. I ran out of time, didn't really plan and I just felt so lost. Couple kids crying at the back. Bless em'

What did you guys do for biodiversity/energy? I was meant to do water but that figure. Here's what I remember, Its badly and briefly written here because I can't remember (lazy): For synoptics I just spammed south-north transfer schemes and dams.
    Energy -
    a) about renewables- goods bads. like nuclear: accident, long decay, stigmas. etc. just going through each resource like that, and I structured it on:suistable, environment and longterm etc.

b) Anwr and arctic for environment, and Coal in the uK and Turkey-austria for exploiting iran/iraq pipeline for technical difficulties ( I got desperate )

Biodiv -
    A) developing= less concern for env and more concern on development. Congo- low income, no tech for mass deforest. etc. India and the other country increase afforestation because mass deforestation? Recognised wellbeing

A) Global: CITES, UNCLOS, IWF. Regional: Fynbos, Udzungwa case studies Local: consumerist -dolphin friendly tuna etc.Superpowers (don't get me started)

SuperPowers
    a) can't remember ?? current economic dev China: strength: Highest GDP, Imports less oil than india. positve trade balanceweak: slowing growth, current growth less than china (6.9%) exports: low tech,India strenght: High-tech. higher growth rate than china currentlyweak: less gdp,

B) Um, SPI rankings communist - control eg: censorship, no twitter etc. Faster decision making -three gorges, people displaced HOWEVER India - democracy, similar to england's, more focus on subsidies than infrastructure = lower spi rank?c) 2030 and 2050 I just used the ageing figures and climate change. Conclusion - not a high rank because of highest population -need feeding/water etc. ?

ReputationRep:
    but isnt the snowy mountains scheme not sustainable?
    Exactly. I commented how although its a method of meeting future energy demands, it is fairly unsustainable

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. I commented how although its a method of meeting future energy demands, it is fairly unsustainable
    did you talk about any sustainable strategies? and would what i spoke about be credit worthy?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.