The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JodieMae
Anyone do development? Part A was pretty good but think I messed up the second part, I talked about the costs of aid i.e. corruption, tied aid etc, but then I talked about better alternatives to aid i.e. investment, because I couldn't remember the benefits of aid.. remembered loads as soon as I got out of the exam

I thought the first part was alright, however I was running out of time for part b so I didn't manage to get much in.

I used the example of World Bank in Senegal as a top down example, and the Kingship Project as a bottom-up one. I said how Senegal is one of the world's most indebted countries and how it spends more on repaying its debt than health and education combined.

I found energy and part b alright though so I'm hoping I won't lose too many marks on the development gap.
Reply 581
energy B, i only put oil sand and offshore arctic oil. the high cost of these two.. as for benefit put down the cliche of providing diversity?

Original post by SendForHelp
I think i won't be going to uni because of that paper. I ran out of time, didn't really plan and I just felt so lost. Couple kids crying at the back. Bless em'

What did you guys do for biodiversity/energy? I was meant to do water but that figure. Here's what I remember, Its badly and briefly written here because I can't remember (lazy): For synoptics I just spammed south-north transfer schemes and dams.
Energy -
a) about renewables- goods bads. like nuclear: accident, long decay, stigmas. etc. just going through each resource like that, and I structured it on:suistable, environment and longterm etc.

b) Anwr and arctic for environment, and Coal in the uK and Turkey-austria for exploiting iran/iraq pipeline for technical difficulties ( I got desperate )

Biodiv -
A) developing= less concern for env and more concern on development. Congo- low income, no tech for mass deforest. etc. India and the other country increase afforestation because mass deforestation? Recognised wellbeing

A) Global: CITES, UNCLOS, IWF. Regional: Fynbos, Udzungwa case studies Local: consumerist -dolphin friendly tuna etc.Superpowers (don't get me started)

SuperPowers
a) can't remember ?? current economic dev China: strength: Highest GDP, Imports less oil than india. positve trade balanceweak: slowing growth, current growth less than china (6.9%) exports: low tech,India strenght: High-tech. higher growth rate than china currentlyweak: less gdp,

B) Um, SPI rankings communist - control eg: censorship, no twitter etc. Faster decision making -three gorges, people displaced HOWEVER India - democracy, similar to england's, more focus on subsidies than infrastructure = lower spi rank?c) 2030 and 2050 I just used the ageing figures and climate change. Conclusion - not a high rank because of highest population -need feeding/water etc. ?
Reply 582
Original post by jake4198
I thought the first part was alright, however I was running out of time for part b so I didn't manage to get much in.

I used the example of World Bank in Senegal as a top down example, and the Kingship Project as a bottom-up one. I said how Senegal is one of the world's most indebted countries and how it spends more on repaying its debt than health and education combined.

I found energy and part b alright though so I'm hoping I won't lose too many marks on the development gap.

what about : bottom up (uganda.. etc ),
call off debt from world bank
china in africa?
Reply 583
Original post by sckcl
what about : bottom up (uganda.. etc ),
call off debt from world bank
china in africa?

also, what is your take for C in section B
Original post by jake4198

I wish I'd have remembered the examples of aid being a good think, i wanted to talk about the Grameen Bank too

Yeah hopefully my biodiversity Q amd section B are okay
for biodiversity i talked about the australian rainforest foundation, CITES and the world heritage sites, is that okay or not? I'm so worried i think i did realy badly on this paper
Reply 586
Original post by 99joey
I F*cked up that paper so much, my structure was terrible and the shock of section B made me completely forgot about how you had to use synoptic links :frown:

That's exactly how I feel. No synoptic links were made. Feel as if a grade E would be generous.
How did you all find the paper? The energy questions were perfect IMO, the water section I found a little tricky

Dreading unit 4!
Reply 588
Original post by Silverstars123
for biodiversity i talked about the australian rainforest foundation, CITES and the world heritage sites, is that okay or not? I'm so worried i think i did realy badly on this paper

I talked about WHS and Australia rainforest, i think this is definetely right as WHS designated by UN and this conserves biodiversity
Original post by Silverstars123

I talked about CITES, the Daintree(big bird project too), CAMPFIRE and CAMLR so yours should be fine :smile:
Original post by T1221
I talked about WHS and Australia rainforest, i think this is definetely right as WHS designated by UN and this conserves biodiversity

okay thank you!! haha that has decreased my stress levels slightly!
Reply 591
Original post by SamNixon
How did you all find the paper? The energy questions were perfect IMO, the water section I found a little tricky

Dreading unit 4!

may i ask what did you put for energy ?
Original post by Tom5pence
Your points beat mine, they are both sustainable ways of meeting future demand so definitely! The Law Of The River although i counter-argued suggesting it leads to constant legal battles between upper and lower basin states, therefore legislation is crucial for fair distribution of water sources in the future. I couldnt think of anything else to write

everyone seems to have found water conflicts extremely difficult, so the good thing is they might mark that section of the exam very leniently.
Original post by deboisalex
I did Energy and Tech Fix. I feel like I was the only one to do it. Anyone else pick Tech Fix?

As soon as I saw water, I avoided it so fast and went to tech.

What did people put for Tech Fix part A and B?

Part A there was not much to write about but I put that education is paid for in developing countries so those that can afford that can generally afford internet connection and are educated to use it.

Part B I did Space Mirrors, Artificial Volcanoes, Cloud Seeding, BedZed and Tesla
1a) nuclear = accidents, waste is harmful (fukushima etc etc); wind is sustainable, not a finite resource like uranium but unreliable as wind speeds aren't consistent; biomass is carbon sink so burning biofuel releases pollution, requires lots of space to grow

1b) ANWR as a sensitive environment, Tar Sands in Alberta, Canada as technical difficulty because of the expensive refinement process and relative difficulty of extraction compared to conventional oil

2a) water in china is nationalised, therefore no need to bump up prices to compete with other companies, heavy industry requires a lot of water so chinese government wont want to up price of it to sustain industrial growth etc BUT cheap prices means shortages as everyone can buy too much whilst water is short in Northern China compared to western nation like Denmark where fresh water is short but prices are high. More expensive in the UK because water is privatised (Severn Trent) and they're making profit + gdp per capita is much higher therefore people can pay more for water. Water in Lagos expensive because of shortages and independent sellers, leads to lack of access and people needing to drink dirty water instead leading to stuff like vector borne diseases

2b) Three Gorges Dam + other 'Big Dam' projects in China with the South-North transfer to provide the industrial North with the water it requires whilst making sure supplies for rural south are also in-tact., said these were great as compared to Chinese GDP the price of these projects is minimal compared to the benefits. California/Colorado River Basin protected by loads of treaties and policies to ensure everyone gets their fair share of water - said it only goes so far as these are a little out-dated by now and should be amended

6a) China has higher GDP than India, India has a larger able labor force by 2050 due to China's OCP, China has more big TNCs, China spends more than India on infrastructure
6b) India has more opportunity due to massive service sector and outsourcing, provides loads of jobs in India, China better on other 2 due to rapid urbainisation/migration to cities/infrastructure investment
6c) China = global super power due to larger GDP than America, increasing amount of companies on Fortune 500, reduced population means potentially higher GDP per capita than now. India = potential global super power as its infrastructure lags behind, doesn't have as many big companies as China has, economy still not as big as America by 2050

Didn't feel like my 2b) was especially strong, didn't prepare many examples as I was focusing more on water insecurity hoping that'd come up (Israel, Murray-Darling, etc)

Felt like it was a nice paper though, ideally looking for a high B to compensate for being 2 UMS from a B last year
Original post by sckcl
may i ask what did you put for energy ?

posted what I did foe each question as a comment :smile:
Original post by TomMoses
Part A there was not much to write about but I put that education is paid for in developing countries so those that can afford that can generally afford internet connection and are educated to use it.

Part B I did Space Mirrors, Artificial Volcanoes, Cloud Seeding, BedZed and Tesla

See I'm confused because I put global ways was an artificial volcano which reduced the 'potential impacts of global warming' because it actually stopped global warming... and local I did carbon capture. However many of my friends put things like dams, GM crops because these were ways of reducing the 'potential threat'... I'm confused whose right and whose wrong
Reply 597
OMG I write about Africa as a technical difficult area in 1b......
Original post by xueyun

what specifically in Africa? :redface:
Original post by xueyun
omg I did that as well!

Quick Reply

Latest