Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research Watch

• View Poll Results: What topics will you be picking for Unit 3?
    Energy Security
    70.76%
    Water Conflicts
    57.14%
    Biodiversity Under Threat
    37.87%
    Bridging the Development Gap
    37.21%
    The Technological Fix
    24.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sckcl)
    may i ask what did you put for energy ?
    posted what I did foe each question as a comment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomMoses)
    Part A there was not much to write about but I put that education is paid for in developing countries so those that can afford that can generally afford internet connection and are educated to use it.

Part B I did Space Mirrors, Artificial Volcanoes, Cloud Seeding, BedZed and Tesla
    See I'm confused because I put global ways was an artificial volcano which reduced the 'potential impacts of global warming' because it actually stopped global warming... and local I did carbon capture. However many of my friends put things like dams, GM crops because these were ways of reducing the 'potential threat'... I'm confused whose right and whose wrong

ReputationRep:
    OMG I write about Africa as a technical difficult area in 1b......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xueyun)
    what specifically in Africa?

ReputationRep:
    omg I did that as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    what specifically in Africa?
    things like oil exploitation .......my marks are flying away

ReputationRep:
    things like oil exploitation .......my marks are flying away
    that a specific case study you looked at? which country?

ReputationRep:
    Can tar sands relate to an environmentally sensitive area in terms of its boreal forest which is fragile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deboisalex)
    I did Energy and Tech Fix. I feel like I was the only one to do it. Anyone else pick Tech Fix?

As soon as I saw water, I avoided it so fast and went to tech.

What did people put for Tech Fix part A and B?
    I did energy and tech fix as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessjk)
    omg I did that as well!
    I was so confused about the term 'technical difficulty'

ReputationRep:
    that a specific case study you looked at? which country?
    oilfied in Nigeria, which is invested by China......this is a case study in development gap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thefamouscfc)
    Can tar sands relate to an environmentally sensitive area in terms of its boreal forest which is fragile
    I said tar sands are both technically difficult and environmentally sensitive. Yeah, they bulldoze loads of boreal forest and release contaminated water into the Athabasca River, leading to deformities/death to birds (e.g. naphthenic acids) and the methanogenic bacteria releases methane = GHG (not sure if relevant). water pollution also in athabasca

oilfied in Nigeria, which is invested by China......this is a case study in development gap
    Oh yeah, we looked at Nigeria for disruption of pathways (piracy), you could probably get away with that. Not sure about technically difficult but depends how you justified it

ReputationRep:
    Whats everyones general consensus about that exam? Personally I think it's one/ if not the hardest paper I've ever seen for geography. Would like to get everyone elses views?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alunthomass)
    Whats everyones general consensus about that exam? Personally I think it's one/ if not the hardest paper I've ever seen for geography. Would like to get everyone elses views?
    I did energy/water and I liked the energy part b) and thought water part b) was quite challenging in terms of the 'sustainability' focus.

The synoptic was very hard imo, particularly b and c - c was a juggling act between India, China, 2030 and 2050...hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessjk)
    omg I did that as well!
    same what other case studies did you use?

ReputationRep:
    I said tar sands are both technically difficult and environmentally sensitive. Yeah, they bulldoze loads of boreal forest and release contaminated water into the Athabasca River, leading to deformities/death to birds (e.g. naphthenic acids) and the methanogenic bacteria releases methane = GHG (not sure if relevant). water pollution also in athabasca

Oh yeah, we looked at Nigeria for disruption of pathways (piracy), you could probably get away with that. Not sure about technically difficult but depends how you justified it
    I talked about oil in Arctic as the environmental sensitive area.....tar sands is actually very good case study for both areas, but I missed it......hope I can get some marks for the technical difficulty one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thefamouscfc)
    i put water pollution (430 km2 covered by a 130 km2 lake of toxic water) , 4 barrels water to one barrel... emission while heating... not sure about boreal though

ReputationRep:
    I talked about oil in Arctic as the environmental sensitive area.....tar sands is actually very good case study for both areas, but I missed it......hope I can get some marks for the technical difficulty one
    I also did Arctic for environmentally sensitive(techn difficult too as deep water oil) I went on a bit of a tangent with the cost being geopolitical tension with Russia/Lomonosov Ridge though? Also said Arctic is fragile ecosystem etc

ReputationRep:
    For the biodiversity players questions I talked about the following players: Individuals like David Attenbrough, CITES, small scale conservation schemes and large scale conservation schemes,
    I'm scared cos I don't know if small and large scale schemes are players or not I'm confused (

ReputationRep:
    So tar sands is environmentally sensitive too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.