Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research Watch

• View Poll Results: What topics will you be picking for Unit 3?
    Energy Security
    70.76%
    Water Conflicts
    57.14%
    Biodiversity Under Threat
    37.87%
    Bridging the Development Gap
    37.21%
    The Technological Fix
    24.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPFM)
    Could you put desalination in the water B question?
    I wrote that 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alextheshorty)
    See I'm confused because I put global ways was an artificial volcano which reduced the 'potential impacts of global warming' because it actually stopped global warming... and local I did carbon capture. However many of my friends put things like dams, GM crops because these were ways of reducing the 'potential threat'... I'm confused whose right and whose wrong
    I did dams gm crops as local and things like sulfur aerosols and space mirrors as global, so hopefully they'll all be accepted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raisa97)
    I wrote that 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alunthomass)
    Whats everyones general consensus about that exam? Personally I think it's one/ if not the hardest paper I've ever seen for geography. Would like to get everyone elses views?
    I agree, i did water and biodiversity and found it very challenging, especially section B, I thought 6C was the easiesty question for me but overall the paper was very harsh

ReputationRep:
    I could've chosen development but didn't feel that I could write 15 marks worth on types of aid so I plumped for water. Figure was hard because there was no clear LEDC/MEDC trend so I had to pretty much talk about all the bars which took a bit more time. Not sure about section b - I talked about low-tech water systems such as rainwater harvesting and filtering, you know, Wateraid type stuff, contrasting with dams and desalination as being effective but 'unsustainable' , but I wanted to get on so didn't really get to conclude.

Biodiversity, not bad, it's annoying when you learn a case study in depth and a typical question on it doesn't turn up - eg global ecosystem (coral reefs) so I adapted it by saying governments were a player, run the Marine park authority, etc??

Section B threw me off in the sense that the structure was odd, in most of the past papers I've seen its 12-14-14 but this was 12-10-16! Looking back I managed about 2 pages for part C but thinking about it there is quite a lot to talk about since quite a few of the figures have 2050 predictions, if you had time you could've thrown all of them in.

In the past its usually been around 65/90 for an A and 70 for A* (not much difference?) I wonder how much it will be this time? Lowest was 62 and highest 67.

ReputationRep:
    What case studies did people use for water question B?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocofudge123)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I used Aral Sea, India and the 3 Gorges, you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alunthomass)
    Whats everyones general consensus about that exam? Personally I think it's one/ if not the hardest paper I've ever seen for geography. Would like to get everyone elses views?
    I totally agree, this year was defo much harder!!, I thought all the questions were pretty harsh, as in previous years you'd usually get two really nice ones out of a paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1. China's South-North water transfer scheme
    2. Israel- recycling+ desalinisation
    3. Small scale projects like play pumps in Kenya- sustainable, but not an option for developed countries with high water demand like China

Also could of talked about Dams and the minute 319 agreement
    (I think)

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Three Gorges Dam and the South-North water transfer project, and the 1908 treaties and agreements set up to decide who gets how much water on the Colorado upper/lower basins + native americans

Came out short on case studies for it as I revised more for water conflicts (such as Israel etc...)

ReputationRep:
    Anyway guys, lets let it go, its in the past now, for better or for worse, carrying on forward, cos anyone have any seismic processes or notes on unit 4 tectonic?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Three Gorges, Lifestraw in Kenya, International co-operation (Mexican Water Treaty ammendment to Colorado Compact), Jordan-Israel transfer pipeline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xueyun)
    oilfied in Nigeria, which is invested by China......this is a case study in development gap
    Pretty sure that's the Russian Gazprom mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Water conservation, water recycling/reuse. sustainable water technologies, then i talked about a water harvesting scheme in India compared with 3 Gorges Dam to compare it with wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is saying it was a really hard paper but personally I thought it was really nice! I answered energy and water and I thought both parts of both questions weren't bad at all! And the section B questions were basically the ones predicted by my college

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I thought it was one of the hardest Geography papers I have seen. The wording of the questions were strange and the actual answering of questions at points became quite difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie Alexa)
    Everyone is saying it was a really hard paper but personally I thought it was really nice! I answered energy and water and I thought both parts of both questions weren't bad at all! And the section B questions were basically the ones predicted by my college
    what did you write about for section B water?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any research to share for unit 4 tectonics?

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody please tell me what the question was for 6a. And if anyone is doing rural landscape for Unit 4 then I'd like to have a chat and see if we can share resources etc as I'm definately going to need to boost my grade up after that horror show 😂Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie2710)
    Can somebody please tell me what the question was for 6a. And if anyone is doing rural landscape for Unit 4 then I'd like to have a chat and see if we can share resources etc as I'm definately going to need to boost my grade up after that horror show 😂Cheers
    Superpower questions were:

Compare the strengths and weaknesses of China and India's economy
    How do political systems in India and China impact SPI rankings
    Characteristics of superpowers 2030 - 2050

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.