Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research Watch

• View Poll Results: What topics will you be picking for Unit 3?
    Energy Security
    70.76%
    Water Conflicts
    57.14%
    Biodiversity Under Threat
    37.87%
    Bridging the Development Gap
    37.21%
    The Technological Fix
    24.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrdinaryStudent)
    Superpower questions were:

Compare the strengths and weaknesses of China and India's economy
    How do political systems in India and China impact SPI rankings
    Characteristics of superpowers 2030 - 2050
    Thanks mate 👍

ReputationRep:
    For the part b of energy were we meant to write about reducing the threats of global warming such as with flood barriers,or could you write about reducing global warming as well? I was not sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessjk)
    For the part b of energy were we meant to write about reducing the threats of global warming such as with flood barriers,or could you write about reducing global warming as well? I was not sure
    part b energy was costs and benefits of extracting from sensitive/technically difficult areas ?????

ReputationRep:
    Guys today was just soo bad its got me rethinking life so the geography exam was just... I dont even know i cba to describe how bad it was
    Soook i went to get mc donalds to cheer myself up.. i got the flavour wrap thing and they messed up my order they gave me grilled chicken I dont **** with that its all about crispy chicken. It was too late to change it as I was already home and now its given me a bad stomach ache.. might just have to tranform into a bird and fly away..

ReputationRep:
    What was the tech fix part B question ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    I also did Arctic for environmentally sensitive(techn difficult too as deep water oil) I went on a bit of a tangent with the cost being geopolitical tension with Russia/Lomonosov Ridge though? Also said Arctic is fragile ecosystem etc
    did it ask for geopolitics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamNixon)
    1a) nuclear = accidents, waste is harmful (fukushima etc etc); wind is sustainable, not a finite resource like uranium but unreliable as wind speeds aren't consistent; biomass is carbon sink so burning biofuel releases pollution, requires lots of space to grow

1b) ANWR as a sensitive environment, Tar Sands in Alberta, Canada as technical difficulty because of the expensive refinement process and relative difficulty of extraction compared to conventional oil

2a) water in china is nationalised, therefore no need to bump up prices to compete with other companies, heavy industry requires a lot of water so chinese government wont want to up price of it to sustain industrial growth etc BUT cheap prices means shortages as everyone can buy too much whilst water is short in Northern China compared to western nation like Denmark where fresh water is short but prices are high. More expensive in the UK because water is privatised (Severn Trent) and they're making profit + gdp per capita is much higher therefore people can pay more for water. Water in Lagos expensive because of shortages and independent sellers, leads to lack of access and people needing to drink dirty water instead leading to stuff like vector borne diseases

2b) Three Gorges Dam + other 'Big Dam' projects in China with the South-North transfer to provide the industrial North with the water it requires whilst making sure supplies for rural south are also in-tact., said these were great as compared to Chinese GDP the price of these projects is minimal compared to the benefits. California/Colorado River Basin protected by loads of treaties and policies to ensure everyone gets their fair share of water - said it only goes so far as these are a little out-dated by now and should be amended

6a) China has higher GDP than India, India has a larger able labor force by 2050 due to China's OCP, China has more big TNCs, China spends more than India on infrastructure
    6b) India has more opportunity due to massive service sector and outsourcing, provides loads of jobs in India, China better on other 2 due to rapid urbainisation/migration to cities/infrastructure investment
    6c) China = global super power due to larger GDP than America, increasing amount of companies on Fortune 500, reduced population means potentially higher GDP per capita than now. India = potential global super power as its infrastructure lags behind, doesn't have as many big companies as China has, economy still not as big as America by 2050

Didn't feel like my 2b) was especially strong, didn't prepare many examples as I was focusing more on water insecurity hoping that'd come up (Israel, Murray-Darling, etc)

Felt like it was a nice paper though, ideally looking for a high B to compensate for being 2 UMS from a B last year
    i though 6 B is about political system?

ReputationRep:
    Superpower questions were:

How do political systems in India and China impact SPI rankings
    Characteristics of superpowers 2030 - 2050
    isn't 6B do china and india political system justify the SPI score?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sckcl)
    isn't 6B do china and india political system justify the SPI score?
    yeah meant that sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sckcl)
    did it ask for geopolitics?
    It just asked for "costs" and "benefits" pretty sure. Geopolitical tension is a cost? I did other things as well though

Also I did that exploring technically difficult areas can increase domestic energy security, less reliance on politically unstable countries and put in the example of the danger of being dependent on politically unstable countries as Ukraine & Russia :s

ReputationRep:
    part b energy was costs and benefits of extracting from sensitive/technically difficult areas ?????
    not sure what benefits are other than increasing energy security/oil is finite resource/peak oil approaching so need to get more oil ??

ReputationRep:
    what figures did people use for this question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newt1)
    what figures did people use for this question?
    -The one showing presdicted growth
    -The infrastructure spending one
    -Fortune 500
    -Population ages

ReputationRep:
    with 6a I'm sure it said current economy so you couldn't use predicted data ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rsangha)
    yeah thats what i thought i only used, GDP, doing business, and some other things i cant remember but didnt chose population as it had predicted values not current

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alextheshorty)
    See I'm confused because I put global ways was an artificial volcano which reduced the 'potential impacts of global warming' because it actually stopped global warming... and local I did carbon capture. However many of my friends put things like dams, GM crops because these were ways of reducing the 'potential threat'... I'm confused whose right and whose wrong
    I think it was the potential threats of global warming, so it should have been sea walls, GM crops, Green walls to stop desertification!

I just spent extra time and wrote both how to fix global warming and how to stop the impacts from being too harsh!

Honestly - I wrote about the global warming bit first, didn't want to cross out my answer so just wrote about both But i think the correct way was the latter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rsangha)
    (Original post by newt1)
    yeah thats what i thought i only used, GDP, doing business, and some other things i cant remember but didnt chose population as it had predicted values not current
    My bad, I meant the one showing GDP values.

The population one has percentages for 2015. The higher proportion of elderly in china, through the absence of a welfare state, is already a economic burden to the working population thus reducing productivity. Where as India are now seeing 1million people enter the workforce a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econam)
    My bad, I meant the one showing GDP values.

The population one has percentages for 2015. The higher proportion of elderly in china, through the absence of a welfare state, is already a economic burden to the working population thus reducing productivity.
    I used GDP from the AIB but the rest was my own research and knowledge about their current economies. Will I be penalised for this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geogwaphyerjag)
    I used GDP from the AIB but the rest was my own research and knowledge about their current economies. Will I be penalised for this
    Own knowledge is good but you do have to make use of the resource booklet throughout. From what you've said, you're probably fine.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah my bad, I meant the part b for tech fix

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.