Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research Watch

• View Poll Results: What topics will you be picking for Unit 3?
    Energy Security
    70.76%
    Water Conflicts
    57.14%
    Biodiversity Under Threat
    37.87%
    Bridging the Development Gap
    37.21%
    The Technological Fix
    24.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zilein)
    What was the tech fix part B question ?
    It was about reducing the threats of global warming

ReputationRep:
    On to unit 4, anyone got any seismic case studies suggestions for unit 4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99joey)
    On to unit 4, anyone got any seismic case studies suggestions for unit 4?
    yellowstone, san andreas fault, andes and glen Coa are good ones

ReputationRep:
    for me structuring the questions was difficult, especially with section b and the wording of the questions .
    6b had such limitations spi scores linked to political system for 10 marks

ReputationRep:
    The first section of the paper I thought was ok, but i was struggling with the timing.

For the energy question:

a) I mentioned the pros and cons of each type of fuel and why people may have a specific attitude toward them. For example Nuclear power produces nuclear waste and is quite dangerous to use (Chernobyl 1986) so people might not think it can provide long term energy security. etc

b) for the second question I talked about unconventional fuels. I talked about the Arctic's ANWR and the environmental costs referencing the exxon valdez spill in 1989 but also the economic costs of exploiting the area and potential conflicts. I then talked about tar sand oil in Alberta Canada and how this reserve is can help reduce issues of peak oil and keep oil prices stable but like the Arctic can incur huge economic costs. Then i went onto fracking talking about shale gas and how its a cleaner fuel and much better to use then tar sand oil but causes environmental degradation, water contamination and has been linked to earthquakes.

For the water section:

a) I talked about Copenhagen water being privatized and that there may be large demand for water so water companies increase prices to perhaps lower demand but also make a larger profit.
    For London i said the prices are high but nowhere near as bad as Copenhagen even though water is also privatized.I tried to say that London and its surrounding areas receive a lot water because of its climate so has a sufficent supply and demand might not be as bad.
    For Las vegas I said the cost is much lower then expected since the area is arid and desert like with a very dry climate. I mentioned that water prices are kept artificially low as its economy is revolved around tourism which requires a high water demand for pools and hotels etc and this encourages unsustainable usage and may lead to water supplies running dry.
    For Mumbai and Shanghai i said these countries were recently developed and the water is nationalized. The government has a role in providing cheap water to its citizens but also since these are mega-cities there is a lot of water needed for domestic and industrial uses to again water prices are kept lower.

b) I cant remember what i put. I think i talked about treaties such as the Helsinki rules and Nile initiative. Hard engineering products like dams and transfer schemes and for soft engineering drip feed irrigation and rainwater harvesting.

Superpowers was by far the first section part A was OK, part b was the worst and part c i nearly didn't finish and was also a awful question. If you want what i put just message me so i can show you how badly i answered those questions.

ReputationRep:
    i actually ate poo in ge03... and that was my fall back. I got an A at gcse which apparently doesn't account for much as I retook AS this year. if anyone is doing the landscapes for geographical research and could give me pointers... that would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Well, unit 3 was absolutely horrific. Really upset as I worked so hard for it and I need at least B in it to get into my first choice (and second choice!!) uni...

Anyway, trying to focus on unit 4 now, but is anyone else finding timing ridiculously hard? I feel like an hour and a half isn't enough to do a whole report, how much is everyone intending on writing?

ReputationRep:
    For development gap 4b I gave a definition for the development gap and aid, I then wrote some stats about official development assistance and the increasing aid and then went on to write about multilateral aid (included the akosombo dam case study) gave befits as large scale however top down and often ignores the needs of the poorest.Then discussed bilateral aid and wrote about Peruga dam in Malaysia - discussed tied aid and bottom up schemes again as well as ability to have large scale projects and then I discussed NGO aid and how it's bottom up however is smaller scale - gave a Uganda example can't remember it's name! Concluded that emergency aid was important and I believe that ngo aid is most effective in narrowing the gap and has long term positive impacts however neo liberals would argue other methods such as trade are best. I included definitions Of each and examples.

For tech fix 5b I defined technological and gave some facts about global warming. I then wrote about how globally geoengineering solutions can be used and wrote about the positives and negatives of sulphur aerosols, space mirrors and ocean fertilisers - I also added examples of failed attempts and so on. I then discussed local factors that could be used to lower the threat of global warming and discussed flood defences such as London Thames barrier and then the building of islands such as in the Maldives to combat sea level rise and finally I discussed how alternative energy can be used such as solar and wind power to lower co2 emissions and gave examples are where it is used. Throughout my answer I made reference to mitigation and then adaptation and then concluded that the local schemes may be better initially as we already have the tech available and it's not as expensive.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP SOMEOME - What do you think I will have scored on these two?

ReputationRep:
    For unit four landscapes for intrusive I'm doing batholiths,plutons,sills and dykes.
    Do I have to learn laccoliths too because there's already so much volcanic landforms already to do with exstrusive!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    oh crap, for section b I think I forgot to label my answers to the questions: a, b and c. Will they not mark it? I'm scared AHH

ReputationRep:
    Guys just forget about unit 3 already, there is nothing you can do about it whether it went well or bad, just focus on unit 4 next week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carxto)
    Well, unit 3 was absolutely horrific. Really upset as I worked so hard for it and I need at least B in it to get into my first choice (and second choice!!) uni...Anyway, trying to focus on unit 4 now, but is anyone else finding timing ridiculously hard? I feel like an hour and a half isn't enough to do a whole report, how much is everyone intending on writing?
    Apparently students who get 70/70 write about 8-10 pages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverstars123)
    yellowstone, san andreas fault, andes and glen Coa are good ones
    Anychance you could send me your notes? I'll send you mine for tectonic in return?

ReputationRep:
    Has one been advised about the use/ avoidance of methodology tables in the exam? my teacher thinks it's a good idea but others advise against it as it breaks the flow or is time-consuming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasminmarchant)
    Has one been advised about the use/ avoidance of methodology tables in the exam? my teacher thinks it's a good idea but others advise against it as it breaks the flow or is time-consuming
    Yeah we have been told to avoid the methodology tables. In my report draft I've done it like this:

In order to get the most accurate information a variety of sources were used when conducting this report, in general less bias and more factual sources were selected. Sources include:

Then I literally listed all the sources I used and evaluated their usefulness, I got 13/15 marks for this structure when i did my draft

ReputationRep:
    anyone doing food security? what case studies will you be using?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know roughly how many words the unit 4 report should be?

ReputationRep:
    How long roughly would the methodology be? is a page written too short??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boomboompow34533)
    Does anyone know roughly how many words the unit 4 report should be?
    Students who get 70/70 typically write about 8-10 pages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99joey)
    Students who get 70/70 typically write about 8-10 pages
    Is 2800 words too much?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.