Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research Watch

• View Poll Results: What topics will you be picking for Unit 3?
    Energy Security
    70.76%
    Water Conflicts
    57.14%
    Biodiversity Under Threat
    37.87%
    Bridging the Development Gap
    37.21%
    The Technological Fix
    24.25%

ReputationRep:
    For Unit 4 Tectonics, are people learning all the different volcano types too? The way i was going to do it was;
    Intro
    Methodology
    Constructive/Divergent - explain how the plate boundary works and give some facts about the Great Rift Valley
    Destructive/Convergent - explain how it works and give some facts about Himalayas
    Intrusive - talk about how they are formed giving examples
    Extrusive - talk about how they are formed giving examples
    Conclusion - say how landscapes are still everchanging (weathering,erosion etc) and the role of hotspots also
    Would this be okay? any response would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carxto)
    Yeah we have been told to avoid the methodology tables. In my report draft I've done it like this:

In order to get the most accurate information a variety of sources were used when conducting this report, in general less bias and more factual sources were selected. Sources include:

Then I literally listed all the sources I used and evaluated their usefulness, I got 13/15 marks for this structure when i did my draft
    your putting this in your methodology and not bibliography?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boomboompow34533)
    Is 2800 words too much?
    That seems like a very nice amount, but its quality not quantity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zReevieee)
    For Unit 4 Tectonics, are people learning all the different volcano types too? The way i was going to do it was; IntroMethodology Constructive/Divergent - explain how the plate boundary works and give some facts about the Great Rift ValleyDestructive/Convergent - explain how it works and give some facts about HimalayasIntrusive - talk about how they are formed giving examplesExtrusive - talk about how they are formed giving examplesConclusion - say how landscapes are still everchanging (weathering,erosion etc) and the role of hotspots alsoWould this be okay? any response would be great
    Damn are you sure you will have time to do all that? Seems like a lot for the 90 minutes to fit in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverstars123)
    I used Aral Sea, India and the 3 Gorges, you?
    I also used Israel, and the sustainable strategies there like grey water, shifting economy to high technology to import more food so there is less water cost, and also improving water treatment plants and creating stringent water conservation rules/laws

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oti1991)
    1. China's South-North water transfer scheme
    2. Israel- recycling+ desalinisation
    3. Small scale projects like play pumps in Kenya- sustainable, but not an option for developed countries with high water demand like China

Also could of talked about Dams and the minute 319 agreement
    (I think)
    did you say that the south-north transfer scheme was sustainable?

ReputationRep:
    People doing tectonics, are you going to write about Wegener's theory in your intro?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99joey)
    Damn are you sure you will have time to do all that? Seems like a lot for the 90 minutes to fit in
    hmm in the practise ones we've done ive just ran out, which ones do you think i should leave out? really struggling for this exam and dont know what to learn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lycaj391)
    People doing tectonics, are you going to write about Wegener's theory in your intro?
    yeah! briefly

ReputationRep:
    anyone doing pollution and health , don't know why were doing a hard one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrdinaryStudent)
    what did you write about for section B water?
    I just wrote about sustainable strategies including Singapore's Four-Tap policy and WaterAid in Ethiopia and then compared that to unsustainable strategies using Three Gorges Dam as an example and I argued that overall strategies are generally unsustainable as demand for water is growing at such a fast rate

ReputationRep:
    your putting this in your methodology and not bibliography?
    We were told not to do a bibliography, we were told to reference using the harvard system so we don't need to do a bibliography?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rsangha)
    anyone doing pollution and health , don't know why were doing a hard one
    I know.... it's so hard
    Have you also learnt a health risk not associated with pollution? We have been told to learn HIV/AIDs and then compare it?

ReputationRep:
    hmm in the practise ones we've done ive just ran out, which ones do you think i should leave out? really struggling for this exam and dont know what to learn
    You should only be doing 3 analysis points max, anymore and you're just wasting time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carxto)
    I know.... it's so hard
    Have you also learnt a health risk not associated with pollution? We have been told to learn HIV/AIDs and then compare it?
    we got told today to look at depression diabetes and hiv !
    didn't say anything about comparing though are teacher wrote the case studies for us though so a bit better

ReputationRep:
    I am preparing for the tectonics essay and condensing more of my notes down because they're are too bulky, I even cut down a lot of the content for the plate margins but I still feel as though I won't have time to write everything down, so I was wondering if we even need to write all the plate margins down. Could I instead just explain what causes tectonic activity and just outline the plate margins, or will I lose out on marks???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasminmarchant)
    Has one been advised about the use/ avoidance of methodology tables in the exam? my teacher thinks it's a good idea but others advise against it as it breaks the flow or is time-consuming
    We've always been told its a good idea by teachers and in practice reports I've got up to 13/15 in that section. I think it's good because it makes it clearer to the examiner that its the methodology rather than just putting it all in a paragraph and also coz its meant to be a report not an essay so there should be tables and diagrams to break up huge chunks of text

ReputationRep:
    You should only be doing 3 analysis points max, anymore and you're just wasting time
    What 3 main points are you making?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPFM)
    What 3 main points are you making?
    Comparing East African Rift Valley with the Mid-Altantic Ridge in Iceland
    Comparing Hawaii and Yellowstone
    Comparing Isle of Arran and the HimalayasYou?

ReputationRep:
    Comparing East African Rift Valley with the Mid-Altantic Ridge in Iceland
    Comparing Hawaii and Yellowstone
    Comparing Isle of Arran and the HimalayasYou?
    The Isle of Arran, Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the Himalayas are my main, not sure if I should go more in detail with intrusive and extrusive features though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.