Turn on thread page Beta

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research watch

• View Poll Results: What topics will you be picking for Unit 3?
    Energy Security
    70.76%
    Water Conflicts
    57.14%
    Biodiversity Under Threat
    37.87%
    Bridging the Development Gap
    37.21%
    The Technological Fix
    24.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carxto)
    Yeah we have been told to avoid the methodology tables. In my report draft I've done it like this:

In order to get the most accurate information a variety of sources were used when conducting this report, in general less bias and more factual sources were selected. Sources include:

Then I literally listed all the sources I used and evaluated their usefulness, I got 13/15 marks for this structure when i did my draft
    Are you going to include the reasons you chose your case studies in the methodology section? Not sure if it's just my teacher telling us to do that

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone seen this website?

http://hubpages.com/education/My-Uni...cript-7480-UMS

Advice from someone who got 74/80 UMS on their unit 4, worth a read they have some good points about structure etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie2710)
    Can somebody please tell me what the question was for 6a. And if anyone is doing rural landscape for Unit 4 then I'd like to have a chat and see if we can share resources etc as I'm definately going to need to boost my grade up after that horror show 😂Cheers
    I am doing Consuming the Rural Landscape Leisure and Tourism for Unit 4 what case studies have you used so far in your research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPFM)
    The Isle of Arran, Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the Himalayas are my main, not sure if I should go more in detail with intrusive and extrusive features though
    You shouldn't have the time quite frankly, the main three in depth should take up the full 45 minute time slot

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing leisure and tourism for unit 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george-wells)
    Are you going to include the reasons you chose your case studies in the methodology section?§ Not sure if it's just my teacher telling us to do that
    No I'm just talking about why I chose my sources in that.
    In my framework I'm planning on saying "This report is going to examine the management of waterborne diseases and cancer, and how effective pollution control is i managing the prevalence of these issues. Furthermore, an additional health risk of HIV/AIDS is also going to be examined in order to assess how not all health risks need pollution control in order to reduce their threat." But yeah I'm not going into depth on why I chose particular case studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carxto)
    No I'm just talking about why I chose my sources in that.
    In my framework I'm planning on saying "This report is going to examine the management of waterborne diseases and cancer, and how effective pollution control is i managing the prevalence of these issues. Furthermore, an additional health risk of HIV/AIDS is also going to be examined in order to assess how not all health risks need pollution control in order to reduce their threat." But yeah I'm not going into depth on why I chose particular case studies
    ahh ok thanks mate

ReputationRep:
    Also for tectonic processes, how are people going to distinguish landscapes from landforms? The exam report for the jan 2011 said the most successful candidates talked about landscapes not landforms, but I'm struggling with this as I researched my case studies before reading this so explored individual landforms in separate parts of the world.

ReputationRep:
    Also for tectonic processes, how are people going to distinguish landscapes from landforms? The exam report for the jan 2011 said the most successful candidates talked about landscapes not landforms, but I'm struggling with this as I researched my case studies before reading this so explored individual landforms in separate parts of the world.
    A landscape would be the East African Rift Valley and the landforms within it would be strato volcanoes e.g. Mt Kilimanjaro, lakes such as lake Victoria and waterfalls.... I hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they would ask us about how tectonics has created human landscapes such as terraces in the Andes because I don't know a lot about that?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone found any useful information in the Geographical Review magazines? Or any other good extra sources on tectonic activity and landforms? I have been advised that using a wide range of resources achieves higher marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For extrusive activity can you just name different types of volcanoes and describe their features with examples?

ReputationRep:
    i'd say around 3,000-3,500 words?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any good concepts and theories for unit 4 pre release? (Other than Malthus and Boserup)

ReputationRep:
    I was just curious of how well I did in this exam:

1(a) I split the paragraphs into the three categories:
    --> Reliability: I talked about hydroelectric power being most agreed because it can produce a high amount of electricity (e.g. Three Gorges Dam). I then talked about wind power being unreliable because, e.g. energy supply is variable and depends on wind and therefore usually needs a constant backup supply of energy from fossil fuels. I also talked about inefficiency, e.g. in UK how they are less than 25% installed capacity meaning power is unreliable as downstream turbines lose 30% more power compared to those at the front. I talked about nuclear as well but I can't remember what I said.

--> Enviro sustainability: Talked about hydroelectric power being recyclable hence sustainable as it doesnt release CO2 as well on use as its renewable and recycable. Talked about nuclear definitely and wind power. I think I also made some disagreement points.

--> Long term needs: I cant really remember what points i said here but i know i did talk about energy security. I talked about nuclear, biofuels, wind...e.g. Talked about nuclear (e.g. not guaranteed safe as Chernobyl event was inevitable - therefore can impact on the energy security and dev the point to link to not meeting long term needs as social issues)

--> conclusion: Overall renewable is the most agreed as most sustainable...but...

4(a)
    1st indicator: Described what GDP per capita meant....linked to Mexico and Phillipines...then said how it helps show the eco differences between North and South (North-South divide) then evaluated
    2nd indicator: Electricity consumption would affect power generation. Showed difference between 2 countries. This could be fed into industry so therefore allows businesses to prosper due to higher productive capacity - link to dev. Then eval
    3rd indicator: Showed differences between 2 countries...said higher spent --> higher skill levels --> higher job prospects --> future incomes rise meaning they can afford basic necessities --> less absolute poverty --> higher living standards --> higher eco dev...Then evaluated
    4th indicator: Looked at the figures for Rwanda and Mexico I think....Then I said in Rwanda it shows more woman have higher status --> reduce social inequality between men and woman --> reduce impact on minority groups --> higher living standards and human welfare --> higher eco dev....I evaluated by saying it conflicts with the North-South divide as Rwanda is in the South and so should be expected to be least economically developed out of the three countries but the figure states the opposite.
    Conclusion

4(b) Intro --> define dev gap, say how aid can be top-down or bottom-up
    1st para --> multilateral aid...definition....benefits...c osts (used brand report as case study)
    2nd para --> Bilateral aid...definition...benefits...co sts (used Pergau dam as example)
    3rd para --> Voluntary....definition...benefi ts...costs (used Barlonyo Uganda example)
    Conclusion --> summarise findings....Bottom-up is best strategy as it is the most sustainable as locals are involved in the decision making...

I didn't put 1(b) because I thought that essay was relatively simple - I just split it up into social, eco, enviro benefits and costs (case studies were - Tar sands, Shale gas, Arctic oil. Shell in the River state of Nigeria)

Now this is where it became more of a problem due to timing for section B

(a) I just did one para on China and another on India showing its stengths and weaknesses in within the paragraphs I also compared between the two

--> China: Benefits = Higher GDP, fortune 500 companies, infrastructure spending higher (
    Costs = in 2015 had a higher % of population over the age of 65 --> ageing pop --> high dependency ratio......I said one more cost but i cant remember

---> India: Benefits = Cant remember what I said....I know I mentioned about the subsidies which would reduce absolute poverty for the poorest, . Also, India has a more younger population than China in 2015 meaning higher workforce....
    Costs = however poverty levels were very high in 2012 despite development - hence lower SPI scores due to low incomes, said more stuff but cant remember

--> Conclusion: China > India and explained why

(c) Intro - explained what the geopolitical power hierarchy showed.

--> China: Talked about eco rise of China (Figure 12), predicted to have the highest GDP levels in 2050 (largest increase from 2030) --> higher economic strength which could strengthen its regional power--> cause decline of "core regions" such as USA...This was coupled with the fact that USA's position as a global superpower was weakening in the past due to the 9/11 terrorist attacks and unpopular military involvement within Iraq and Afghanistan --> change of geopolitics in terms of power meaning China could be the next global superpower in the future.
    I said another point but cant remember.....
    Eval: Population decreasing which could also be seen as a negative impact

--> India: Talked about resource consumption rising globally...in the future they will demand a high amount of resources due to high economic growth levels...I said something about this and linked it to India being a potential global superpower.
    I said another point but can't remember.....
    Eval: I linked to past and said how previously despite high development - there were high levels of poverty and lack of meeting basic human needs (SPI index) and so in the future despite growth --> poverty could increase. I linked this to view 3 which said "until and unless India increases its highways, speeds up its rail..." which its unlikely to do due to high poverty levels....I also talked about population being an issue. Basically after these eval points i linked it to the question by saying its unlikely to become a global superpower or a potential superpower...

Conclusion: Summarized....said how China is likely to be the next global superpower compared to India.....especially as USA is the current supowerpower and historically no one nation has maintained control of the global economy over centuries....

(b) I had to rush this as only had 3 minutes but managed to write a solid paragraph more than half a page (I have small hand writing)
    --> Compared the SPI rank....then looked at basic human needs and foundations of wellbeing being higher for China because of higher investment into infrastructure - explain....although opportunity score is lower but only by a small margin due to China's political system being a dictatorship (communist country) and therefore its not accountable to its population --> meaning less resources are allocated efficiently to its population. I also linked the lower SPI rank in India (more poverty) and higher SPI rank in China (less poverty) - explained

All in all I believe I would get around 40/41 in section A (8/10 + 12-13/15 + 7/10 +13/15) and then not great in section B (11/14 + 3/10 + 6/16) = 60/61 marks

I used a lot of evidence from booklet to support answers so I gave myself that in section B as a worst case scenario.

My question is in the dev gap 10 marker would I get higher than 7 out of 10 because I know my explanation to how the indicator shows development and i used 2 countries to explain how it shows development levels. Although I think for at least 2 of my indicators the evaluation wasn't solid enough - i only included 1 evaluation and explained it for each indicator.

Another question is would I get more than 3/10 for the 10 marker in section B for what I said or what that be the absolute maximum?

Another question is would I get more than 6/16 for the 16 marker in section B for how I did it?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have the Victoria Bishop book on Landmark Geography - Landform Systems? If so could you put in the extract on Batholiths? Would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xueyun)
    oilfied in Nigeria, which is invested by China......this is a case study in development gap
    I talked about Ogoniland in Nigeria as being an environmentally sensitive area. Could have mentioned the impact of oil exploration on the local residents and their environment (oil spills, contaminated water supply, ect). Also political instability in the region

ReputationRep:
    My teacher said it was good to do it by landscape. We have looked at West coast of the USA, east African rift valley, Hawaii, isle of Arran and iceland. With more specific case studies within them eg. Kilimanjaro, san andreas ect..

ReputationRep:
    For the unit 4 report, are you meant to write and memorise it before the exam even though we dont know the exact question?

ReputationRep:
    How many case studies is everyone using for unit 4?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.