Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research Watch

• View Poll Results: What topics will you be picking for Unit 3?
    Energy Security
    70.76%
    Water Conflicts
    57.14%
    Biodiversity Under Threat
    37.87%
    Bridging the Development Gap
    37.21%
    The Technological Fix
    24.25%

ReputationRep:
    How are you all going to reference/write your sources?

I'm going to include a table in my methodology section, with a number next to each source, then write the relevant number as a superscript in the main text, similar to on Wikipedia.

ReputationRep:
    Right.... so im doing the tectonics and landscapes thingy whatever.
    My teacher told us to structure this in terms of scale, so start with macro scale landscapes, to meso scale landscapes and finally micro scale landscapes.. is this a good structure?
    AND how different could the question be? as long as I learn the in's and out's of the different features, will I be able to apply it?

PLEASE HELP I AM ACTUALLY SO DUMB AT GEOGRAPHY - IF ANYONE HAS A GOOD PLAN PLEASE SEND IT

ReputationRep:
    Im really struggling with evaluating for tectonics. Can anyone help give me ideas? why are batholiths, dykes and sills distinctive? like i know they are because they're big but WHY im so confused :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whilerisleeps)
    Im really struggling with evaluating for tectonics. Can anyone help give me ideas? why are batholiths, dykes and sills distinctive? like i know they are because they're big but WHY im so confused :/
    Batholiths are made from many plutons joined together, which are kinda like solidified magma chambers. Sort of like ones under volcanoes, but not all magma chambers have a volcano on top of them. But they are not intrusions from magma being forced through rock weaknesses (like sills and dykes are), just pre existing magma chambers solidified. Batholiths can have satellite intrusions, which are when a very large magma chamber joins to a much smaller magma chamber or pluton (same thing) by a thin section of magma so are part of the whole batholith.
    Dykes are magmatic or igneous (magma) intrusions in a vertical direction, so through layers of rock strata, through a weakness in the rock.
    Sills are also magmatic or igneous (magma) intrusions, but they are in a horizontal direction between layers of rock strata; so sills and dykes are made in the same way but are intrusions of different axis.
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whilerisleeps)
    They usually only become distinctive once the overlying country rock has eroded, leaving them exposed. Batholiths are often an exception to this, as they can support orogenesis. Laccoliths can have a similar effect, but on a smaller scale, i.e. they cause the overlying rock to bulge, forming a hill.

Once exposed, dykes and sills can be very distinct; research the Isle of Arran and Devils Tower.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone trying to just memorise a report they've done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPFM)
    Is anyone trying to just memorise a report they've done?
    Not a good idea to be honest, as memorising a whole report might mean you answering a different question and loosing all the research and analysis marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zReevieee)
    what you putting in your conclusion? im gonna mention hotspots, im setting mine out pretty similar,
    I haven't yet structured a conclusion as it depends entirely on the question. So I am just gonna revise the mark scheme and make sure I include as may points as possible. However the way my drafts have been going I'm not even sure ill make it to the conclusion. To make things shorter in my main section i have only done the main extrusive and intrusive features while avoiding a lot of others for example (extrusive= fissure eruptions, shield volcanoes and a very brief mentioning of calderas) while for the intrusive features im just gonna use the isle of arran and try include sills, batholiths and dykes.

ReputationRep:
    is anyone doing culture? i haven't even started on it yet... kinda been blowing it off as long as i could...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash98)
    Is anyone doing culture-globalisation for unit 4? We've just planned 7 possible frameworks for having one global culture...etc
    Wait what do uo mean 7 frameworks? like 7 different essays of how to answer the question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharkindustries)
    Not a good idea to be honest, as memorising a whole report might mean you answering a different question and loosing all the research and analysis marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which topic are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, can landscapes include underwater?
    Also, hotspots are a tectonic process right but don't involve plate boundaries right?

Ugh, I'm so geographically challenged.

ReputationRep:
    Do you put identify your case studies in the intro or research&methodology section???

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has any Unit 4- Tectonic Hazards notes on pre-release info can they please send it to me :/? PM me please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manexopi)
    Guys, can landscapes include underwater?
    Also, hotspots are a tectonic process right but don't involve plate boundaries right?

Ugh, I'm so geographically challenged.
    I believe so - I'm using the Japan Trench and Mid Atlantic Ridge which are underwater

Yes hotspots and intrusive activity are tectonic but not at boundaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverstars123)
    yellowstone, san andreas fault, andes and glen Coa are good ones
    is Yellowstone not classed as a hotspot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zReevieee)
    yeah! briefly
    how you're applying this? Are you just briefly mentioning his continental drift theory and the idea of plate tectonics, and then linking this to tectonic activity? I want to include it but im unsure how

ReputationRep:
    can someone help me... idea for an introduction.
    The origins of plate tectonic theory began with Wegner's theory of continental drift and how the contents were originally joined together. From this and sea floor spreading we have come to plate tectonic theory, stating that the earths lithosphere is divided into 7 major tectonic plates that are moving in different directions, as well as different speeds. Thus, tectonic activity occurs at these plate boundaries, where both seismic and volcanic processes occur. These processes lead to an array of distinctive landscapes, with both intrusive and extrusive features.

ReputationRep:
    If the question was "Evaluate the role of seismic processes in creating a range of distinctive landscapes" or "To what extent do seismic processes contribute to the formation of distinctive landscapes" would you still need to write about volcanic processes? Because I know very little on just seismic, I can only really talk about rift valleys so I would be quite stuck here. Please help! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJS107)
    If the question was "Evaluate the role of seismic processes in creating a range of distinctive landscapes" or "To what extent do seismic processes contribute to the formation of distinctive landscapes" would you still need to write about volcanic processes? Because I know very little on just seismic, I can only really talk about rift valleys so I would be quite stuck here. Please help! Thanks
    I'm fairly sure that you would talk about volcanic processes yeah, because you would then use that for your argument. saying on the other hand volcanic processes contribute to the formation of distinct landscapes?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.