Turn on thread page Beta

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research watch

• View Poll Results: What topics will you be picking for Unit 3?
    Energy Security
    70.76%
    Water Conflicts
    57.14%
    Biodiversity Under Threat
    37.87%
    Bridging the Development Gap
    37.21%
    The Technological Fix
    24.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fair.francesco)
    I'm fairly sure that you would talk about volcanic processes yeah, because you would then use that for your argument. saying on the other hand volcanic processes contribute to the formation of distinct landscapes?
    Thanks. I think you would too as I would say volcanic processes have more of an impact on the landscape

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrissy.98)
    I believe so - I'm using the Japan Trench and Mid Atlantic Ridge which are underwater

Yes hotspots and intrusive activity are tectonic but not at boundaries
    Ah thank you!

how you're applying this? Are you just briefly mentioning his continental drift theory and the idea of plate tectonics, and then linking this to tectonic activity? I want to include it but im unsure how
    I'm only mentioning the theory of plate tectonics. I thought continental drift is irrelevant now or something?

How is everyone defining landform and landscape?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manexopi)
    Ah thank you!

I'm only mentioning the theory of plate tectonics. I thought continental drift is irrelevant now or something?

How is everyone defining landform and landscape?
    continental drift provided a base for plate tectonic theory... check out my 'introduction' post I put. continental drift, lead to sea floor spreading, leading to plate tectonic theory

ReputationRep:
    continental drift provided a base for plate tectonic theory... check out my 'introduction' post I put. continental drift, lead to sea floor spreading, leading to plate tectonic theory
    Yeah but what is the point if you're going to be using the plate tectonic theory anyways. It sounds like wasted time to me.

ReputationRep:
    how many marks due think this would get for a intro:

Tectonic activity refers to activity in the earth’s lithosphere. The lithosphere is the outer region of the mantle which consists of rigid material attached to the earth’s crust called plates. Convection currents in the earth’s mantle cause these plates to move.
    Tectonic activity consists of a number of seismic and volcanic processes which form a variety of different landscapes along with different extrusive landforms (those present on the surface) and intrusive landforms (those intruded into the rock below the surface).
    In this report I will examine how different seismic and volcanic processes can result in the formation of a number of distinctive landscapes such as the East African Rift, Mid-Atlantic ridge, Deccan plateau, the Andes and Isle of Arran.

ReputationRep:
    Also these are my case studies:

Volcanic:
    Mid-Atlantic Ridge
    Deccan Plateau
    Shield Volcanoes
    Composite volcano
    Caldera
    Isle of Arran

Seismic:
    East African Rift Valley
    Andes Fold mountains
    Faults- San Andreas

It seems a bit heavy on the volcanic land-forms but thats because there are more.

Also am i right in saying that all extrusive and intrusive landforms are volcanic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfcforever)

Volcanic:
    Mid-Atlantic Ridge
    Deccan Plateau
    Shield Volcanoes
    Composite volcano
    Caldera
    Isle of Arran

Seismic:
    East African Rift Valley
    Andes Fold mountains
    Faults- San Andreas

It seems a bit heavy on the volcanic land-forms but thats because there are more.

Also am i right in saying that all extrusive and intrusive landforms are volcanic?
    How will you be organising your essay? Will you do:: Intro, methodology, analysis - volcanic heading, seismic heading, then conclusion?

Also how is everyone else laying theres out? What sources are you using to put in methodology? thanksss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxmesy)
    How will you be organising your essay? Will you do:: Intro, methodology, analysis - volcanic heading, seismic heading, then conclusion?

Also how is everyone else laying theres out? What sources are you using to put in methodology? thanksss
    I will start with intro, then research and methodology.

For my main section I will be doing divergent plate boundaries with associated volcanic and seismic case studies and then I will do same for convergent.

I will then go into extrusive land-forms and then intrusive ones with associated land-forms.

I will finish off the main section by using transform boundaries and the seismic landforms like faults.

then finally conclude.

ReputationRep:
    Is it better to do it by plate boundary? Because I was planning on doing it:
    eg:

1.0 Volcanic

1.1 Extrusive

1.2 Intrusive

2.0 Seismic

I know it obviously depends on the question, but I don't know the best way to structure it if the title doesn't lend itself to a particular structure.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to reference the whole link when you do the methodology or just the basic part such as www.bbc.co.uk?? help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfcforever)

Volcanic:
    Mid-Atlantic Ridge
    Deccan Plateau
    Shield Volcanoes
    Composite volcano
    Caldera
    Isle of Arran

Seismic:
    East African Rift Valley
    Andes Fold mountains
    Faults- San Andreas

i was talking to my friend about this... he said that the mid-atlantic ridge is technically and primarily a seismic process as its the movement of the plates that begin the process and the movement that causes the fissures. its just that volcanic processes also occur on top of this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwaJenn10)
    Is it better to do it by plate boundary? Because I was planning on doing it:
    eg:

1.0 Volcanic

1.1 Extrusive

1.2 Intrusive

2.0 Seismic

I know it obviously depends on the question, but I don't know the best way to structure it if the title doesn't lend itself to a particular structure.
    Do you have to label your headings with numbers because I never have before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by courtneyl7a7)
    Do you have to label your headings with numbers because I never have before?
    I don't think you have to! In my head it just helps me stay focused. I'm awful for waffling but I know if I number it I can break it down to really simple points and then expand in a sub-conclusion or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    my structure is going to be
    Introduction - the focus, my framework (in this report i will be examining...) and then definitions
    Main bulk - divergent boundaries (mid atlantic, east african) convergent boundaries (himalayas mariana islands) and hotspots/other (yellowstone dartmoor)
    after each section i will be doing a mini evaluation to show ongoing evaluation
    conclusion

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if they could ask: 'to what extent is tectonic activity the main factor'? I'm not sure what other factors could contribute to the formation of landscapes

ReputationRep:
    Seems like everyone is doing tectonics. Anyone doing the cold environments section?

ReputationRep:
    HELP CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL WHAT IS EXTRUSIVE IGNEOUS ACTIVITY? Is it like the formation of the marianas islands - if so is it volcanic or seismic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junioregbujor)
    HELP CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL WHAT IS EXTRUSIVE IGNEOUS ACTIVITY? Is it like the formation of the marianas islands - if so is it volcanic or seismic?
    Extrusive activity takes place above the crust rather than beneath the surface, and it is volcanic - it refers to magmatic processes above the surface. Island formation is indeed therefore a result of extrusive activity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrissy.98)
    Does anyone know if they could ask: 'to what extent is tectonic activity the main factor'? I'm not sure what other factors could contribute to the formation of landscapes
    Erosion and Weathering. Intrusive features do not impact landscapes until they have been uncovered by erosion and weathering (e.g. Isle of Arran). You must keep in mind that there is a difference between a landscape and landform.

ReputationRep:
    i was talking to my friend about this... he said that the mid-atlantic ridge is technically and primarily a seismic process as its the movement of the plates that begin the process and the movement that causes the fissures. its just that volcanic processes also occur on top of this
    hmm i dont know, cause the ridge itself (the mountains and submarine volcanoes) is formed by the creation of new crust at the surface as the magma rises cools. Without the magma rising and cool now new crust would be formed and there wouldnt be a atlantic ridge so i think its a volcanic process :/

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.