Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Harry Long)
    Does it measure maximum breath volume too
    No, i think there are other tests for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    No, i think there are other tests for that
    Are you sure? What about maximum airflow? Isnt that the same as maximum breath volume

ReputationRep:
    Peak Flow testing measures the maximal forced expiratory flow rate (patient dependent though, of you want to measure flow rates and inspiratory/expiratory volumes, then the test will be the most basic test would be Spirometry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam_town1)
    Peak Flow testing measures the maximal forced expiratory flow rate (patient dependent though, of you want to measure flow rates and inspiratory/expiratory volumes, then the test will be the most basic test would be Spirometry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What is peak flow rate measured in and will i be able to use it as the measurement in my investigation?
    vv
    ;my investigation is about effect of height of subject on lung capacity and they have to breathe through a peak flow meter. I will record my results in a table. On one side is height of person and on the other is the measurement i get from the peak flow meter. So shall I just use peak flow rate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Long)
    What is peak flow rate measured in and will i be able to use it as the measurement in my investigation?
    vv
    ;my investigation is about effect of height of subject on lung capacity and they have to breathe through a peak flow meter. I will record my results in a table. On one side is height of person and on the other is the measurement i get from the peak flow meter. So shall I just use peak flow rate?
    Peak Expiratory Flow Rate (PEFR) via a peak flow meter is measured in litres per second. Height will influence the flow rate, as the taller you are, the larger the lungs and therefore the lung capacity, the smaller the inverse. However, to get a 'true' measurement, the technique will need to as correct as possible.
    You could go deeper and explore more factors i.e. gender (males have larger lungs than females), age (the older, the less efficient or 'compliant' the lungs are, race (Caucasians have a larger lung capacity), etc. Or a better option would be to use a Spirometer if you able to obtain one if you want to more in depth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.