Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What does it mean to be asexual? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Thanks for @ me.

Hey,

I'm asexual (specifically demi sexual - it's on the asexual spectrum - means I'm comfortable with having a relationship; I have a boyfriend, he's 'asexual' too).

For me it's that I don't fancy people. I don't find people attractive. Number of people I have truly fancied in my life? Probably one. My boyfriend. But I liked his personality and cleverness first before I began to appreciate his good looks.

It's not really repressing feelings. It's just simply not having them. I can't turn myself on, to be quite blunt, sorry. I don't desire sex and could happily not have it.

It's ok to be asexual. I was in denial for a good six or so years about it (I even stupidly tried to trick myself into believing I was bisexual for about three months; didn't work).
    that's literally me!
    i dont find them attractive, i just care about their character

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    Plagiarism
    True, but you could say the same about the OP considering how many of these silly asexuality threads there are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    True, but you could say the same about the OP considering how many of these silly asexuality threads there are.
    i commented on your post...the definition you gave
    and i dunno how many threads on asexuality there are so i can't

ReputationRep:
    I've been tipsy. But yeah it's not nice.

:laugh: My entire mh journey is documented on tsr!

Currently studying politics. Would like a masters in history. Maybe work in archives - been doing some volunteering at my uni one and I adore it.
    I now fond myself paired with the task of going to find your mh journey.

Oh wow, that sounds awesome! How long have you been doing that?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Tinemither)
    I now fond myself paired with the task of going to find your mh journey.

Oh wow, that sounds awesome! How long have you been doing that?
    It's in the MHSS. That's easy. It would be just easier to PM and ask me.

A few weeks. I love it.

ReputationRep:
    It's in the MHSS. That's easy. It would be just easier to PM and ask me.

A few weeks. I love it.
    Shall do!

Aw, well I'm glad you do

ReputationRep:
    yeah i dont asexuality too. some guy who said he was asexual told me he found me attractive and called me sexy but i thought asexuals dont find anyone attractive? idk ignore my ignorance on the subject :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    yeah i dont asexuality too. some guy who said he was asexual told me he found me attractive and called me sexy but i thought asexuals dont find anyone attractive? idk ignore my ignorance on the subject :dontknow:
    Again, as others have said. Asexuality is on a spectrum, since there are so many different forms of it. Chances are, if he is pushing towards sex, he may not even fall on the spectrum since that's not normally something which really interests the vast majority of us. If you were close friends with him, demisexual may be applicable, but there is always one thing to note. He may just be complimenting you. You may have an amazing figure and outer-world face, therefore he is complimenting you. It doesn't necessarily mean he is pushing for sex. It's hard to say, in this case, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    hahaha!
    it feeels great
    you don't have to think about anything - like any pain any uncomfortableness - you are free
    I actually envy that feeling a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolFresher15)
    I actually envy that feeling a little.
    seee! thats why i am asexual

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lagomorph)
    I know what you mean! I still can't get over it though. Everyone I know is getting into a relationship and being all happy together and I can't help but feel envious.
    Is it possible, that on the ace spectrum, you are cupiosexual? Its not feeling any sexual attraction but desiring a relationship?

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...7eLoYlo35JNAKy <---theres 3 amazing vudeos in this playlist that talk about the ins and outs of ace and aro. I think the first one has more on cupiosexual but you can have a look and yeah
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    People here saying asexuals can have sexual attraction is like saying gays can get attracted to the opposite sex (unless you're bi). If you're not keen on having sex with people unless you're dating (forming strong emotional attachment) then that just means you're not the type to sleep around with people aka not slutty (applies to male and female).
    Sexual attraction after forming an emotional bond with a person (and it can take months, maybe even years to happen). Did you not read all of the replies properly or was it a skim read? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    Growing up in a sexualized world has made sexy a lart of aesthetically pleasing vocab and aces still find people aesthetically attractive. It doesn't cancel out the fact that he IDs as ace, especially as its a spectrum

ReputationRep:
    To those of you that are confused or think you are on the ace spectrum or would just like to find out more, there's 3 videos in this playlist, and if you want, watch them all https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...7eLoYlo35JNAKy

ReputationRep:
    Asexual means you dont have any feeling or want to have sex. You are not unto it. You are not looking sex to someone if you feel your body wants to. You can have a relationship but not unto sex thinker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brad0003)
    Asexual means you dont have any feeling or want to have sex. You are not unto it. You are not looking sex to someone if you feel your body wants to. You can have a relationship but not unto sex thinker.
    Aces are totally allowed to have sex, there's no law against or anything. In fact, many aces will have sex, maybe not for their own plesure, but for that of their partner. It tends to more be an activity that they don't feel like they have to do

Sexual attraction after forming an emotional bond with a person (and it can take months, maybe even years to happen). Did you not read all of the replies properly or was it a skim read? :confused:
    So really what's the point of identifying as an asexual if in the end you'll pretty much marry/have sex anyway? Why not stick to straight/gay/bi?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So really what's the point of identifying as an asexual if in the end you'll pretty much marry/have sex anyway? Why not stick to straight/gay/bi?
    Because marrying implies romantic attraction, not sexual so that doesn't matter. And as for having sex, many aces do it for the benefit of their partner rather than themself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinemither)
    On the point below:

(Original post by LoveTheDivergent)
    Because marrying implies romantic attraction, not sexual so that doesn't matter. And as for having sex, many aces do it for the benefit of their partner rather than themself.
    Would you, as asexuals, have sex for the sake of your sexual partner; in the event you had one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolFresher15)
    On the point below:

Would you, as asexuals, have sex for the sake of your sexual partner; in the event you had one?
    Personally, no, but that's due to other factors (mainly the fact that I'm also aromantic and unlikely to ever actually get a partner). But I know quite a few aces who will, maybe because they feel that it will make the relationship better, to try for kids etc. Obviously, we are al very different and will all act differently so some aces may be fine with having sex, some might only go as far as hugs and not even kisses. Every ace has their own tipping point about how far they are willing to go and don't push the boundries

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.