The Student Room Group

AJ's Spring 2016 Anime Preview Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Plagioclase
I really wish I hadn't accidentally watched the last episode first.

Why did you do that?!, FOR SHAME. You better forget it and watch it properly!
Original post by HeimIX
Why did you do that?!, FOR SHAME. You better forget it and watch it properly!

Surely I've ruined it for myself though? :frown:
Reply 43
Original post by Plagioclase
Surely I've ruined it for myself though? :frown:

Hmm, i think the epitome of the anime isn't in the ending rather its derived from learning about characters and understanding the beauty of the music they're playing. It will surely be a good watch :smile:
:hmmm:

Original post by AngryJellyfish
...not spring 2016 series... I'd recommend TSR's Anime Society for the discussion/recommendation of older shows...

Crunchyroll will also be showing Pan de Peace.

[EDIT] Apparently FunimationNow is launching on Thursday, but will only be showing Boku no Hero Academia, Endride, Concrete Revolutio S2, Sansha Sanyo and Hai-Furi from the Spring season.
(edited 8 years ago)
Added the PV for Pan de Peace. Also, non-spoiler first impressions time, this time with pictures~

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable

Spring gets off to a good start with my most anticipated series! All I hope is that it doesn't all go downhill from here. I was always going to pick up the new series of JJBA, but it's good to know the new lead Higashikata Josuke and his stand are as interesting and... well, bizarre... as I've come to expect from the franchise. Nice to see Jotaro back as well. I can't wait to see what wonderful adventures await us this time. :biggrin:

---

Ushio to Tora S2

Ushio to Tora certainly got off to a better start this time, now that all the preparation from the first half is out of the way. Maybe that'll mean less repetitive monster of the week battles, and more dealing with Hakumen no Mono, who is far more of an interesting and terrifying enemy. Still, the series goes on my maybe pile until I've seen more of what Spring has to offer, as even I can't pick up everything. :p:

---

Mayoiga

Now this one really caught my interest. I'm loving the large, varied cast, though I do wonder who'll be the first to get killed off... assuming it's even that kind of show! Though there's a real horror vibe going on, we don't know what awaits our tour group on the other side of that bridge, but I'll definitely be sticking with it to find out. Perhaps the bigger mystery, though, is why the hell they got back on that bus, even apologizing to the driver for making a mess!
Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney)

I had high hopes for this, since there haven't been many anime series with a courtroom setting, but I won't be picking it up. Our protagonist Naruhodo (I wondered whether they'd localize the name, but apparently not) was very bland and boring, as were all the other characters. The case wasn't overly thrilling. Presumably A-1 Pictures are keeping their animation budget back for Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, because it didn't look good either. Lastly, annoying noises kept going off at random times - this probably worked in-game, but not so much in this adaptation. Not for me, but I'd be interested to see what game fans think of it.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
:hmmm:

Crunchyroll will also be showing Pan de Peace.

[EDIT] Apparently FunimationNow is launching on Thursday, but will only be showing Boku no Hero Academia, Endride, Concrete Revolutio S2, Sansha Sanyo and Hai-Furi from the Spring season.

Any details on FunimationNow pricing plan? :smile:
Original post by Nirgilis
Any details on FunimationNow pricing plan? :smile:

As far as I can see they haven't announced it yet. :dontknow:
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096

It's Gundam, and it's sticking to the usual formula and tropes. Just when it finally looks like peace will reign supreme on Earth, war breaks out... and now, nearly a century later, as a group of students learn about these events in a museum, history looks set to repeat itself. Spectacular sound track from Sawano Hiroyuki, and the OVA-quality animation means it'll probably be the best-looking series of the season. A solid introductory episode, if a bit confusing due to the skipping back and forward in time.

---

Endride

I enjoyed this first episode, though I'm getting more 'guilty pleasure' vibes than 'masterpiece' ones from it. :p: Crystal-obsessed schoolboy finds a particularly nice specimen in his father's workplace, and gets transported into a fantasy world (and that's why keeping SCPs in offices is never a good idea). I'm liking the different humanoids and chibi dragons this world has to offer, though I've not heard enough from the main characters to form any opinions of them. Animation and music were alright, nothing spectacular after watching Gundam though.

---

Boku no Hero Academia

Perhaps the most hyped non-sequel show of the season, but it's only going on my 'maybe' list. Another series where government-approved professional heroes protect the world from various villains, except this one will presumably have a high school setting. Main character is a wimpy kid with no super power (or 'quirk' as the series calls them), but desires to be a hero nonetheless. Meh, this episode didn't do anything wrong, but I've never really been into the superheroes of Western comics and films, and it takes something special (such as the great characters of Tiger & Bunny, or amazing animation of One Punch Man) to win me over. Boku no Hero Academia is lacking that so far.
(edited 8 years ago)
Turns out Pan de Peace! is a short (5 minute episodes), so I probably won't be bothering with it.
Kuma Miko

I was on the fence about this one, since the first half was decent - I sympathized with our miko protagonist's rural issues, and her interactions with the bear were amusing - but the second half was a bit weird. It feels similar to Gugure! Kokkuri-san from a couple of years back, though not as good. But then the ending theme started playing... and if that doesn't end up being the best ED of the season, I'll be surprised. The 4-koma segment after the theme was also cute. I'm willing to give it a few more episodes, as comedy series usually have their good and their bad eps, and the setting and characters have plenty of potential.
Crunchyroll has Bakuon!! and (unsurprisingly) Kaitou Joker S3.
Macross Delta

Now that was entertaining! Mad, but entertaining. Everything that I expected from Macross (music and idols, mech battles, pointy ears), but with added dancing mechs, apples, and a great balance of action and comedy. Though this first episode loses to Gundam on the animation front, it certainly wins on fun factor. I liked the songs, I liked the characters... I actually don't have a single negative thing to say about it, aside from the painful issue that we're unlikely to see this licensed in the UK. Thanks Harmony Gold. :indiff: Apparently the Japanese blurays may have English subs though, so there's always the import option.

---

Re: Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu

Double episodes always help when it comes to first impressions, since they have twice as long to set up the premise and introduce the characters, but since this one was split into two separate parts, I can safely say I was sold by the 20 minute mark. Main character Subaru somehow ends up in a fantasy world (something that barely seems to phase him), but has no money, no magic, and no purpose there. He latches onto the mysterious half-elf Satella, and they spend the A half searching for her stolen insignia. Plenty of fun dialogue, if a bit slow in places. As for the B half... I shan't spoil anything, but that was also good. I like the large variety of demi-human character designs, and Noto Mamiko voicing a villain will always score bonus points from me. :biggrin:
:tumble: ...do feel to share your own thoughts on the new season's first episodes, anyone who's watched them. :p:

In other news, Crunchyroll will be streaming Seisen Cerberus: Ryūkoku no Fatalite, but they've not announced whether or not it'll be restricted to certain territories, so I can't guarantee it'll be on the UK site.
Kaitou Joker S3

Joker and its wonderful, wacky cast return for a third series, this time with a new rival thief(?), and a new evil organisation out to kill Joker for some reason... their leader is ridiculously good looking. Anyway, same family friendly slapstick comedy as usual, with the phantom thieves dodging police detectives and traps both ancient and hi-tech in pursuit of treasure. It's all good fun at first, but the previous two series got repetitive quickly. Given the quality of everything that's aired so far this season, and the potential of those that are left, I don't think I've got space for Kaitou Joker on my list this time.

---

Bakuon!!

Seeing as I have no particular opinion on motorcycles, this didn't make my pre-season want to watch list... but with most sport or obscure club anime, if the characters are passionate enough about their hobby, and I feel as though I'm learning something from watching it, then they'll usually win me over. Bakuon!! did so with spectacular fashion - brilliant characters (my favourite is the silent, permanently helmeted Lime-senpai), fantastic humour, plenty of attention to detail when it comes to the bikes, and (perhaps most importantly) they have permission to use actual manufacturers' brands and names. No doubt we'll be hearing more about the club members' loyalties and hatred of lesser bikes in the episodes to come. :biggrin:
Reply 56
Have the first batch of my First Impressions of the season up covering:

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Kagewani Shou
Space Patrol Luluco
Ushio & Tora S2
Ace Attorney
Mayoiga (The Lost Village)
Endride

I'll hopefully have the 2nd batch up tomorrow!
Seisen Cerberus: Ryuukoku no Fatalité

I like fantasy series, a lot, and am usually willing to overlook a show's flaws if it's set in a pretty enough world with interesting humanoids (see Endride :p:), so I didn't expect I'd be dropping this. The plot did have promise, and as I said before it aired, it's nice to see a 'pure' fantasy series untainted by RPG tropes or protagonists randomly brought there from our world. But. It. Was. Just. So. Boring. Dull scripts, average animation and music... definitely the most 'meh' first episode so far, and not a great advertisement for the rest of the series.

---

Hundred

I dislike magical school battle-harem series, a lot, and it'd take a very interesting one to overcome my prejudices and make my lineup. Hundred gave it a good shot, to be fair - cross-dressing, cat eared robotic maid, passable production values... of course the whole '(almost) nude walk-in' and 'inexperienced male protagonist gets into a duel with the school's top fighter' tropes were there, can't be too original or the fans wouldn't like it! :rolleyes: Just isn't my kind of series at the end of the day, but if this tired formula still appeals to you (or if you're somehow new to it), Hundred's far from the worst, based on this one episode.
Typical that my day off would be the quietest release day of the week. :unimpressed:

Beyblade Burst

I was pleasantly surprised to see this subbed, and can now say I've watched an episode of Beyblade. :p: It was a passable introductory episode that followed all the standard tropes; our main character had huge passion for Beyblade, but was a complete newbie who didn't even know the basics. Yet once he got those down, it became clear that he had a natural skill... however that works in a game like this. The biggest weakness for me is that the show's 'action' is literally just two spinning tops whirling around each other - great (if misleading) advertising for the toys, but of no interest to me.
Reply 59
Okay second batch of first impressions are now up~!

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE 0096
My Hero Academia
Pan de Peace!
Kumomiko: Girl Meets Bear
Re: Zero -Starting Life in a New World-
Macross Delta
Bakuon!
Sailor Moon Crystal Season 3

Quick Reply

Latest