Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do people in wheelchairs wear shoes? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bad Faith)
    It's not like they need them...
    The reasons for people using wheelchairs are many and varied, but the fundamental commonality is that they have an issue with walking short or long distances. Depending on their underlying medical condition they may, or may not, have intact sensation in their feet. Not all wheelchair users are paraplegics. Many wheelchair users can walk short distances or weightbear to transfer from wheelchair to bed, seat, toilet etc., obviously supportive shoes with adequate grip are necessary for this. In cases where no weight bearing is possible people may choose to wear footwear for various reasons: 1) they have been used to wearing footwear all their lives up until their illness/accident etc. 2) they were born with non-functional use of their lower limbs but choose to wear footwear because they find them aesthetically pleasing etc. 3) in all cases with impaired sensation footwear provides protection from friction injuries, bumps, radiator burns, sun burn, hypothermia etc. as feeling something as hot, cold, sore or chafing etc. alerts us to a risk of injury. If someone has impaired sensation the injury will still occur, but without the person being aware it is occurring.

This answer is for anyone genuinely interested in the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Was there a need to spam the thread with a pointless question?
    Was there a need to spam the thread with a pointless question?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    While we're at it.

To anyone who has thrown chewing gum on the floor or not bothered to pick up their dog's ****: you're making wheelchair users lives unnecessarily worse.

Getting dog **** on your shoes is unpleasant. If you get it on your wheels and have to push yourself somewhere you can clean it off it gets ****ing EVERYWHERE. Wheels, hands, doors, clothes. Dogshit on a wheel is an entire days work to clean up.

ReputationRep:
    Because even if there's no feeling, there's still circulation/susceptibility to hypothermia etc.

ReputationRep:
    TO LOOK FAN---CY!!! *starts rapping with iggy*
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Protection from the cold (they do have feeling in their feet), protection from injury when things fall on or knock against their feet, and for aesthetic reasons. There, that didn't take much thinking through, did it?
    The thread should have been close immediately after this was posted tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Edge

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    To keep my feet dry in the rain, keep my tights from laddering when I transfer and because everybody else does! Would I seriously look better going out in my wheelchair with no shoes on. I actually love wearing high heels, I can't walk in them but that doesn't seem to bother lots of other women
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    For the obvious reasons of protecting their feet, keeping them dry and for the period where they have to walk or be helped to somehwere else then its better to have something on their feet. They dont float from place to place and they arent always in the wheelchair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bad Faith)
    It's not like they need them...
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Why do blind people have eyeballs?
    omfg I am dead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hideNfreak)
    TO LOOK FAN---CY!!! *starts rapping with iggy*
    thinking of how old that song is I've just noticed the date this thread was made

ReputationRep:
    If you were looking for a date, can you imagine how you would respond to in my wheelchair with no shoes on, lol. I get dressed in the morning like everybody else

ReputationRep:
    Being in a wheelchair doesn't mean you need to dress like a tramp.

ReputationRep:
    not everyone you see in a wheelchair is bound to it, some can get up and move around a little.

ReputationRep:
    don't police another person's a e s t h e t i c 🍃✨

ReputationRep:
    Uhhh... cos its cold

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.