Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buying a car at 18, just passed and I would like to buy a car this April. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am 18 years old, I just passed, and I was planning on buying a car this year in April, with a budget of £3k. The only issue I have is that I am still a Full time student and unemployed. Meaning Earning 0, but I will be looking for work soon.

The question I would like to ask is what i should do really, should i even consider buying a car?

My parents do not have a car at all, neither a driving licenses so I am the only one in my family to have a full driving license believe it on not. My mother is also on benefits so, that puts me in even a trickier situation.

I see quotes with sky high numbers on cheap cars within a price range of £400-1000 which is really annoying. Any ideas or suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    By the sounds of it you can't really afford a car? Even if you have the money to buy one, do you have money for insurance, fuel costs, consumables like tyres, to service it, to MOT it, repairs?

You have managed up until now without a car too, why not continue to do so until you have an income to pay for it?

ReputationRep:
    You wont be buying a car bruh! This year or next year! Forget it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdzgadzaj)
    I am 18 years old, I just passed, and I was planning on buying a car this year in April, with a budget of £3k. The only issue I have is that I am still a Full time student and unemployed. Meaning Earning 0, but I will be looking for work soon.

The question I would like to ask is what i should do really, should i even consider buying a car?

My parents do not have a car at all, neither a driving licenses so I am the only one in my family to have a full driving license believe it on not. My mother is also on benefits so, that puts me in even a trickier situation.

I see quotes with sky high numbers on cheap cars within a price range of £400-1000 which is really annoying. Any ideas or suggestions?
    I'm in the same situation, except I have a part time job. You could probably get a car, tax & insure it for between £2-2.5k if its second hand, thats what im planning to do! I would look on autotrader and local newspapers for car adverts as you can probably find a good first car on there for a good price

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex McGrath)
    I'm in the same situation, except I have a part time job. You could probably get a car, tax & insure it for between £2-2.5k if its second hand, thats what im planning to do! I would look on autotrader and local newspapers for car adverts as you can probably find a good first car on there for a good price
    I can get a part-time job no problem, the only issue i have is insurance is way too high any choice of my cars, this includes the typical 2000-2006 cars such as Corsa, Astra clio you get my point if you're in the same situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdzgadzaj)

i found this a 1998 jaguar was going to cost £500 to buy but £20,000 to insure (2l die)
    a 2002 smart fortwo was going to cost £700 to buy but £6,500 to insure (0.6 pet)
    but however a 2011 fiat 500 was going to cost £4,000 buy but only £2,000 to insure (1.3 pet)
    so my suggestion is to look at the newest available in your budget (05-09)

(Original post by AsandaLFC)
    You wont be buying a car bruh! This year or next year! Forget it.
    shut up

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise you to wait until you're actually getting paid before getting a car if you can. They're not cheap to run.

ReputationRep:
    You can't afford a car because of the insurance.

ReputationRep:
    get the car, then if needs be go get a job to help run it, food delivery is certainly an option, it wilkl just be a little temporary job to help keep your car on the road for now

ReputationRep:
    You put down "full time education" not "unemployed".

(Original post by dhr90)
    By the sounds of it you can't really afford a car? Even if you have the money to buy one, do you have money for insurance, fuel costs, consumables like tyres, to service it, to MOT it, repairs?

You have managed up until now without a car too, why not continue to do so until you have an income to pay for it?
    I agree. If he cant afford a car he should buy a bike (+ pedals) out of the money he would otherwise spend on insuring a car.

ReputationRep:
    If you just passed you cant drive cause dead people cant drive

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.