Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hey I recently passed my test, and I am planning on buying a car this April, the only issue I am having is that insurance covers are sky high going from £2-9k per year on a car that would cost £400-£1k, running about 10k miles per year approx.

I would have a budget of 3k to spend on the car and other covers but again insurance is a headache. No one in my family drives believe it or not, so yes am the only person who is capable of driving, legally. My mother is also on benefits, I do have a weekend job that allows me to earn up to £400 per month.

Should i even bother buying a car?
    I want it so bad, it would help my mother and sisters in general with daily basics such as big weekly shopping or driving to places, but the insurance covers are very expensive and I cant seem to find any solutions to lower the price.

If you're wondering, i am looking for a car within 400-1k price rage, so if you guys have any questions or suggestions please tell me!

Sadly, the insurance is about the same everywhere for our age. Honestly as much as you want to help, there's little point to purchasing a car now when you have little to no extra income.

There's just too many costs and you haven't even mentioned petrol yet
    I think it would be better in the long haul to just wait until your older and just help your mum and sister as much as you can without the car for now

Black box might help a bit.. I have a black box and I'm on a shared insurance with my mum and dad on one car with really helps as well, obviously that doesn't help you but maybe in the future...

Black box would be a good start

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.