Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I need help with deciding what univeristy to go to. It is between AUB and ravensbourne. I know AUB is very renowned for film but still cant choose. Ravensbourne is also in London which is a plus. Just want opinions from other students who go to these unis or students in general thanks

ReputationRep:
    When applying last year I considered AUB but I think it wasn't practical enough for me? (can't actually remember) But I'm now at Ravensbourne studying Film. The london thing is a huge plus because something like film is better off in London. Please feel free to ask me specific questions regarding film or ravensbourne

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hot_Potato)
    When applying last year I considered AUB but I think it wasn't practical enough for me? (can't actually remember) But I'm now at Ravensbourne studying Film. The london thing is a huge plus because something like film is better off in London. Please feel free to ask me specific questions regarding film or ravensbourne
    How are you finding ravensbourne? I heard it is extremely independent and you don't really get to talk to lectures or tutors?

ReputationRep:
    Also how many people get accepted to ravensbourne is it hard to get into?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by brandonq6)
    (Original post by brandonquan6)
    Hi, I need help with deciding what univeristy to go to. It is between AUB and ravensbourne. I know AUB is very renowned for film but still cant choose. Ravensbourne is also in London which is a plus. Just want opinions from other students who go to these unis or students in general thanks
    Hi Brandon,

BA (Hons) Digital Film Production at Ravensbourne is competitive and it is indeed hard to get into it, so congratulations on your admission. If you have a clear picture as to what you want to get out from the study experience and can think beyond the three years to come, Ravensbourne definitely is the place for you. Our students' and graduates' work is praised for its professional craft and insight, as this recent example demonstrates. Their films are also featured in festivals, both in the UK as well as internationally.

Good luck with making the final decision. Don't hesitate to get in touch if we can be of further help,

Monica

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravensbourne)
    Hi Brandon,

BA (Hons) Digital Film Production at Ravensbourne is competitive and it is indeed hard to get into it, so congratulations on your admission. If you have a clear picture as to what you want to get out from the study experience and can think beyond the three years to come, Ravensbourne definitely is the place for you. Our students' and graduates' work is praised for its professional craft and insight, as this recent example demonstrates. Their films are also featured in festivals, both in the UK as well as internationally.

Good luck with making the final decision. Don't hesitate to get in touch if we can be of further help,

Monica
    Hi thanks for your help. Do you get much support at Ravensbourne in terms of the film course? & how many people actually are on the course

ReputationRep:
    How are you finding ravensbourne? I heard it is extremely independent and you don't really get to talk to lectures or tutors?
    no no that is a lie, you can talk to the lecturers in the lecture or after, they're all lovely and very helpful! You'll even have them all on Facebook and find yourself facebooking them with questions about work. Also anything film related in posted on the Film page on Facebook. Its independent in the fact they tell you what to do quite briefly but teach you all you need to know. But like I said you can contact them any time with any queries.

Well for my year they said for everyone they accepted they turned down 9 other people and theres 140 of us compared to the year above who only had 90 to start with! So well done But although there is 140 the lectures are split rarely do we have lectures with 140 of us, its mostly split into two groups of 70s or even groups of 10s, depending on the lecture. Although theres 140 of us, but few people actually drop out because unis not for them etc. Also you'll find not everyone always attends lectures due to having jobs etc, but overall you get all the help you need and everyones really nice!

How did your interview go? And where are you coming from?
    Feel free to ask any more questions

ReputationRep:
    Hi im coming from East London & my interview waa great. Freddie interviewed me with two first year students, I got a place! Do you make many films? & what equipment can you actually take out? - sorry for the amount of questions

ReputationRep:
    Hi im coming from East London & my interview waa great. Freddie interviewed me with two first year students, I got a place! Do you make many films? & what equipment can you actually take out? - sorry for the amount of questions
    It's completely fine, I was in the same place last year haha

So will you be commuting? Many people actually commute. Freddie's nice. Well done!!

So, for the first term we made 4 films, one every 2 weeks. Second term which has just finished we made 3 films, one every 3/4 weeks. For next term not to sure yet, as sometimes the terms change from pervious years.

Regarding equipment theres lots of stuff but it can be hard to book as lots of its being booked so you have to be speedy! You can take out lots of stuff but some things are only available for certain years, for instance Arri Alexa is for third years only, but theres over 4000 pieces of equipment. I think theres a list somewhere but I'm not certain where.

ReputationRep:
    It's completely fine, I was in the same place last year haha

So will you be commuting? Many people actually commute. Freddie's nice. Well done!!

So, for the first term we made 4 films, one every 2 weeks. Second term which has just finished we made 3 films, one every 3/4 weeks. For next term not to sure yet, as sometimes the terms change from pervious years.

Regarding equipment theres lots of stuff but it can be hard to book as lots of its being booked so you have to be speedy! You can take out lots of stuff but some things are only available for certain years, for instance Arri Alexa is for third years only, but theres over 4000 pieces of equipment. I think theres a list somewhere but I'm not certain where.
    I might just move out of my house haha & woah many films then - so what cameras have you used so far?

ReputationRep:
    I might just move out of my house haha & woah many films then - so what cameras have you used so far?
    aww ok its quite pricey though

Uhh personally not much as I'm into producing more but I've worked with the FS7 a few times, Canon 5D (people in the groups cameras) and other canons.

People tend to use their own canons or buy expensive cameras sometimes, but theres a lot on offer just depends if you can get your hands on it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.