B945 - Sex Discrimination (Election Candidates) Act 2002 (Repeal) Bill watch

• Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Nay based on the fact that this only affects N.I

ReputationRep:
    Aye. No-one should ever be selected for anything because of their gender instead of their capability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Aye. No-one should ever be selected for anything because of their gender instead of their capability.
    However, the act that they're repealing only applies to NI and not the UK.

ReputationRep:
    And no, I don't mean National Insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    Aye! Let us save Northern Ireland from this stupid law!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    I'm fully aware of that, but I support the principle of it so in the absence of a Model Stormont, I'll vote aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Except this is negative discrimination, positive discrimination depends on perspective, if you're the one getting the job that you shouldn't then it is rather positive, if you're the one losing the job because of it, not so much. All discrimination is both positive and negative.
    A job is an example where there's one outcome. There are many cases which could have multiple outcome, that aren't a binary choice, and this act was created to protect that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    There's plenty more you could save them from of far greater importance.

Like the stupid people.

And the Parades Commission.

Christ! The bloody Parades Commission.

Only the Parades Commission can take a bad situation and make it worse.

FECK!!

ReputationRep:
    I suggest the proposers of this Bill check where the current law applies allowing all women shortlists and then propose a second reading.

Having multi-member STV constituencies is the better answer than this measure on its own.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    One of the main problems with Parliament is that it claims to be representative of the population yet it is made up mainly of middle-upper class white elderly English 'gentlemen'.

Women make up 22% of the HoC but 50.7% in UKpopulation.
    Ethnic minorities are 10% of the population in the UKbut only 4% in the HoC.
    Over 400 MP’s (62%) are white men over 40.
    90% attended university but only 20% of thepopulation have.
    1/3 of MPs attended private schools compared to 10%of the population.

Reeaally showing you understand people's problems.
    A representative system, democracy, and meritocracy don't go hand in hand, I would much rather have a bunch of intelligent people who the people have chosen to represent them, irrespective of education, age, gender, sexuality, race etc than trying to make the system, perfectly representative and have a bunch of idiots that would rather sit in their office jacking off.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    A job is an example where there's one outcome. There are many cases which could have multiple outcome, that aren't a binary choice, and this act was created to protect that.
    With a job there are two outcomes: you get a job or you don't; the act was designed so that Labour could be discriminatory in their candidate selection so they could claim to be progressive despite going backwards to do it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    With a job there are two outcomes: you get a job or you don't; the act was designed so that Labour could be discriminatory in their candidate selection so they could claim to be progressive despite going backwards to do it.
    I know what it was designed for.

You'd want to consider about what the bill actually affects, as I can assure you it's more than just Labours shortlist and binary choices such as job selections.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    As a point of order, it is intentional that this bill applies to NI then? I'm fine with us going all Canon Amendment on this bill but we should be aware that we're doing so. In fact in future invoking the Amendment should probably be in the OP for bills such as this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    A representative system, democracy, and meritocracy don't go hand in hand, I would much rather have a bunch of intelligent people who the people have chosen to represent them, irrespective of education, age, gender, sexuality, race etc than trying to make the system, perfectly representative and have a bunch of idiots that would rather sit in their office jacking off.
    The idea is that if you have x amount of people all of equal intelligence and apt, you'd want to ensure then that they are further representative of minorities. In alot of cases, this doesn't happen and many people are left unrepresented. Nobody will choose someone who can't do their job just because they fit a quota.

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter that it only applies in NI? Surely the government should be working to stop discrimination wherever it occurs.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I know what it was designed for.

You'd want to consider about what the bill actually affects, as I can assure you it's more than just Labours shortlist and binary choices such as job selections.
    The idea is that if you have x amount of people all of equal intelligence and apt, you'd want to ensure then that they are further representative of minorities. In alot of cases, this doesn't happen and many people are left unrepresented. Nobody will choose someone who can't do their job just because they fit a quota.
    Except that is EXACTLY what is being done, if the best people fit the demographics then the quotas would not be needed, and nobody is left unrepresented, I don't need to be a black transsexual one legged whatever to be able to represent them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    As a point of order, it is intentional that this bill applies to NI then? I'm fine with us going all Canon Amendment on this bill but we should be aware that we're doing so. In fact in future invoking the Amendment should probably be in the OP for bills such as this.
    This bill applies to NI.

ReputationRep:
    If it was intended that it only apply to NI, I'm sure that would have either been mentioned in the notes, and I'm also pretty sure Adam would've submitted it as a PMB.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I've never agreed with all women short lists.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.