Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to waste his time.

For the past 2 years I've been ignoring this problem - I need to urinate frequently during the day and when I need to go it's urgent. E.g. I'll go to the bathroom before I leave home and without 30 mins of being out I need to use the bathroom again.

I'm constantly thirsty so I suppose that makes it worse but I've cut out tea and coffee because someone told me it makes you pee a lot. Now I drink water only. I can drink about 3 pints an hour easily.

I can just stop drinking or cut down though because then I feel very dehydrated and my mouth gets dry. I also get hot and dizzy.

I would keep ignoring this seemingly daft problem if it wasn't for the fact that it's affecting my job because I can't keep stopping to use the bathroom or get another drink.

Aside from drinking less, what can I do and is anything really wrong with me or is this just how some people are?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go get it checked out, could be an issue with your brains production of diuretics. Could also point to a urinary tract infection sometimes, and very rarely a tumour in the bladder could cause such problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieBlogger)
    I don't want to waste his time.

For the past 2 years I've been ignoring this problem - I need to urinate frequently during the day and when I need to go it's urgent. E.g. I'll go to the bathroom before I leave home and without 30 mins of being out I need to use the bathroom again.

I'm constantly thirsty so I suppose that makes it worse but I've cut out tea and coffee because someone told me it makes you pee a lot. Now I drink water only. I can drink about 3 pints an hour easily.

I can just stop drinking or cut down though because then I feel very dehydrated and my mouth gets dry. I also get hot and dizzy.

I would keep ignoring this seemingly daft problem if it wasn't for the fact that it's affecting my job because I can't keep stopping to use the bathroom or get another drink.

Aside from drinking less, what can I do and is anything really wrong with me or is this just how some people are?
    This sounds like you have diabetes- excessive thirst, excessive urination. Have you lost weight over the past few years? Are you really hungry? Tired?

I guess the only thing that would make me have reserves on that diagnosis is that you've had it for ages. However, it is definitely better to be safe and go and and see your GP than ignore it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will3482)
    Definitely go get it checked out, could be an issue with your brains production of diuretics. Could also point to a urinary tract infection sometimes, and very rarely a tumour in the bladder could cause such problems.
    Thanks I will see my doctor. What will the gp do in this instance? Urine/blood tests?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I will see my doctor. What will the gp do in this instance? Urine/blood tests?
    A urine test will likely be carried out at the GP and a blood test may be scheduled with your phlebotomist if the urine test does not help the GP to a conclusion. If this does not give any answers you could be looking at having a full neurological work up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieAlicexxx)
    This sounds like you have diabetes- excessive thirst, excessive urination. Have you lost weight over the past few years? Are you really hungry? Tired?

I guess the only thing that would make me have reserves on that diagnosis is that you've had it for ages. However, it is definitely better to be safe and go and and see your GP than ignore it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm constantly hungry and constantly tired and constantly need to urinate. I had to go home from work last week due to extreme lethargy and dizziness. I felt a lot better after food and a lie down on the sofa.

But I haven't lost weight at all in the last couple of years infact I've gained a few pounds. I'm a healthy weight for my height though - not under or overweight.

My symptoms are just so vague and don't point to much that I feel like I'm wasting my doctors time because he won't know what's wrong.

One of my colleagues mentioned diabetes to me but I looked on the nhs website and I only have about 3 of the symptoms and I feel like I have low blood sugar, not high.

ReputationRep:
    I'm constantly hungry and constantly tired and constantly need to urinate. I had to go home from work last week due to extreme lethargy and dizziness. I felt a lot better after food and a lie down on the sofa.

But I haven't lost weight at all in the last couple of years infact I've gained a few pounds. I'm a healthy weight for my height though - not under or overweight.

My symptoms are just so vague and don't point to much that I feel like I'm wasting my doctors time because he won't know what's wrong.

One of my colleagues mentioned diabetes to me but I looked on the nhs website and I only have about 3 of the symptoms and I feel like I have low blood sugar, not high.
    If you have type one You may have low blood sugar as your cells can't absorb the glucose. I would honestly go and get it checked ASAP. You might do yourself some damage if you don't go soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you have type one You may have low blood sugar as your cells can't absorb the glucose. I would honestly go and get it checked ASAP. You might do yourself some damage if you don't go soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see, thank you. I'll make an appointment for with my gp tomorrow. I'm just unsure really because if it was diabetes I would have lost weight. I'm slim anyway I suppose so maybe I haven't noticed.

ReputationRep:
    I see, thank you. I'll make an appointment for with my gp tomorrow. I'm just unsure really because if it was diabetes I would have lost weight. I'm slim anyway I suppose so maybe I haven't noticed.
    Try to get a morning appointment and don't eat or drink for 12 hours before you go. This means they'll be able to do a fasting blood glucose test at your appointment rather than you having to go back another time.

ReputationRep:
    If you had type 1, you would be dead by now.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The fact that type one diabetics can't absorb glucose into cells causes them to have high blood sugar, rather than low. This is because the sugar stays within the blood rather than going to where it should be.

Diabetics can have low blood sugar, but often as a consequence of medication rather than their underlying condition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    The fact that type one diabetics can't absorb glucose into cells causes them to have high blood sugar, rather than low. This is because the sugar stays within the blood rather than going to where it should be.

Diabetics can have low blood sugar, but often as a consequence of medication rather than their underlying condition.
    Sorry, I worded that wrong- that's what I get for being distracted lol.
    I meant a lot of glucose is passed in the urine as it can't be absorbed adequately, so people with Type 1 have glucose in their pee.
    Sorry for the confusion!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    If you had type 1, you would be dead by now.
    That's what I thought. That's why I don't think this is diabetes and my gp is just going think I'm wasting his time if I mention it. But I need something done about it because I can't function properly and don't know what to do anymore. I'm just going to turn up with a bunch of vague symptoms and he's probably going to tell me to eat more, sleep more and drink less which is useless advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought. That's why I don't think this is diabetes and my gp is just going think I'm wasting his time if I mention it. But I need something done about it because I can't function properly and don't know what to do anymore. I'm just going to turn up with a bunch of vague symptoms and he's probably going to tell me to eat more, sleep more and drink less which is useless advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tell him all the details, it is near useless going online to figure out what you might have. That is their job to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Tell him all the details, it is near useless going online to figure out what you might have. That is their job to know.
    I know it's their job but from my experience it's best to be a little informed about the possibilities and I think it's actually quite sensible to research my own health before I go and speak to my doctor and possibly waste his time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know it's their job but from my experience it's best to be a little informed about the possibilities and I think it's actually quite sensible to research my own health before I go and speak to my doctor and possibly waste his time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be honest, I don't have much experience with doctors. I just ignore almost all my symptoms.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And scare yourself silly at the same time? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    And scare yourself silly at the same time? :rolleyes:
    Where have I said I was scared? I'm not scared at all and I'm not prone to such hysteria as googling my symptoms and immediately assuming I have a brain tumor. I'm just someone who likes to be informed before I book an appointment with my GP. If people went straight to their GP for every little they were concerned about I'm sure you'd roll your eyes at that too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.