Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messier31)
    Oh

Thanks

I'll be expecting you in about half an hour :lol:
    For any other types of papers pure/mehanics yes. But stats no haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    apart from the change in 2015 where you had to do qn 5, i dont think there is much room for changing stuff up - i feel we have seen the most of what can be thrown at us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclidean)
    (Y) is a thumbs up emoji, probably not what you think
    Lol, enlighten me, what would one think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    apart from the change in 2015 where you had to do qn 5, i dont think there is much room for changing stuff up - i feel we have seen the most of what can be thrown at us
    The beauty of A-level statistics modules. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    june 14 paper 1R question 1c says state the assumption necessary for a PMCC to be valid for 1 mark, dont really understand the mark scheme just says something about bivariate normal or whatever, can anyone explain?

ReputationRep:
    calculation of test statistic is wrong, they have used the wrong ones..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    what do we do when we need to find a z value in the table like 3.77? i assumed 3.8 and wrote a little note saying round to 3.8. is that ok?

ReputationRep:
    what do we do when we need to find a z value in the table like 3.77? i assumed 3.8 and wrote a little note saying round to 3.8. is that ok?
    round to the nearest value on the table bruh
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For normal goodness of fit tests, if we have to estimate mean and sd, do we use unbiased estimates?

ReputationRep:
    For normal goodness of fit tests, if we have to estimate mean and sd, do we use unbiased estimates?
    Yeah, unbiased is best because it's unbiased

Unless you're told otherwise of course

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Q7 June 2013.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  140.0 KB
    Can anyone help me with Question 7 part b on June 2013?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know which papers have a question where you need to test either the normal distribution or continuous uniform distribution as a suitable model? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    how would you use pooling in contingency tables? like check the 2015 paper (6f), which two columns would you pool together? male or female part or the colours??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music With Rocks)
    Name:  Q7 June 2013.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  140.0 KB
    Can anyone help me with Question 7 part b on June 2013?
    \text{Standard Error of the Mean}=\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}

Notice that

\displaystyle \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i}{n} \times {n} = \bar{X} \times n = \sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i

So we can combine the samples this way as two sums of X and then calculate the value for \sigma = \sqrt{s^{2}}

Edit: This may still not be very clear with regards to combined variance:

\displaystyle s^{2} = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i^{2} - n\left(\bar{X}\right)^{2}}{n-1}

Therefore:

\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i^{2} = n\left(\bar{X})^{2} + s^{2}(n-1)

We can add both sums for x and x^{2} and work as normal

Music With Rocks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubahkassim)
    how would you use pooling in contingency tables? like check the 2015 paper (6f), which two columns would you pool together? male or female part or the colours??
    I don't think you'd ever be asked that for a contingency question, they'd modify the question to avoid it unless it was a (1) marker like it is in 2016 6(f).

All you need to explain for the mark is that you'd expect the frequencies to be below 5 so some pooling would be necessary thereby reducing the degrees of freedom

ReputationRep:
    \text{Standard Error of the Mean}=\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}

Notice that

\displaystyle \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i}{n} \times {n} = \bar{X} \times n = \sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i

So we can combine the samples this way as two sums of X and then calculate the value for \sigma = \sqrt{s^{2}}

Edit: This may still not be very clear with regards to combined variance:

\displaystyle s^{2} = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i^{2} - n\left(\bar{X}\right)^{2}}{n-1}

Therefore:

\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i^{2} = n\left(\bar{X})^{2} + s^{2}(n-1)

We can add both sums for x and x^{2} and work as normal

Music With Rocks
    I think I kind of get it? I will make sure to memorise that formula at least

Name:  q7 june 2013 ans.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  128.1 KB

After that part in the answer when it says "combined sample s^2:..." why is the 178.89^2 divided by 40 rather than multiplied by 40?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music With Rocks)
    I think I kind of get it? I will make sure to memorise that formula at least

Name:  q7 june 2013 ans.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  128.1 KB

After that part in the answer when it says "combined sample s^2:..." why is the 178.89^2 divided by 40 rather than multiplied by 40?
    \displaystyle s^{2} = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i^{2} - \boxed{n\left(\bar{X}\right)^{2}  }}{n-1}

Referring only to the boxed area now:

\displaystyle \bar{X} = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i}{n}

Therefore:

\displaystyle \bar{X}^{2} = \frac{\left(\sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i \right)^{2}}{n^{2}}

So \displaystyle n\left(\bar{X}\right)^{2} = \frac{\left(\sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i \right)^{2}}{n^{2}} \times n = \frac{\left(\sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i \right)^{2}}{n}

Where:

\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i = 178.89

ReputationRep:
    \displaystyle s^{2} = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i^{2} - \boxed{n\left(\bar{X}\right)^{2}  }}{n-1}

Referring only to the boxed area now:

\displaystyle \bar{X} = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i}{n}

Therefore:

\displaystyle \bar{X}^{2} = \frac{\left(\sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i \right)^{2}}{n^{2}}

So \displaystyle n\left(\bar{X}\right)^{2} = \frac{\left(\sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i \right)^{2}}{n^{2}} \times n = \frac{\left(\sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i \right)^{2}}{n}

Where:

\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i = 178.89
    Ah I get it now, thank you very much!

You have been a great help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    The CLT states that if your sample size is large enough then the sample mean is normally distributed with the mean of the population and the variance of the population divided by the sample size.

i.e: the sample mean may be 17.2, it doesn't mean the sample mean is distributed with mean 17.2.

In part (b), this is precisely what you are dong, you are working out the confidence interval for the mean.

I got part a and why the mean is a + 2. I'm uncertain as to how we're suddenly using the sample mean to find a's CI in part (b). I thought you're supposed to use the population mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxequation)
    Anyone know which papers have a question where you need to test either the normal distribution or continuous uniform distribution as a suitable model? Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.