Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  162.9 KB
    (Original post by economicss)
    Sorry, it shouldn't be, is from solutions bank It's exercise 3E question 13b on page 44 of the textbook Thanks
    This is. The working I was trying to show

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  162.9 KB
    This is. The working I was trying to show
    Zacken

ReputationRep:
    Zacken
    So you got z=1.43, this means your confidence interval is the area between -1.43 and 1.43, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    So you got z=1.43, this means your confidence interval is the area between -1.43 and 1.43, no?
    Ah yes, should have used the diagram!! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, should have used the diagram!! Thanks!
    Nice! Glad that little hint helped. :-)

ReputationRep:
    Nice! Glad that little hint helped. :-)
    You're a lifesaver!

ReputationRep:
    You're a lifesaver!
    No problem. Do you want to tag me on that FP2 thingy you were asking me about earlier so I can have a look at it (not right now because I'm not home) but when I'm back?

ReputationRep:
    No problem. Do you want to tag me on that FP2 thingy you were asking me about earlier so I can have a look at it (not right now because I'm not home) but when I'm back?
    Yeah that would be great, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that would be great, thank you
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi please could someone explain question 2b of the june 2014 paper, why is it we divide by 2 squared for the variance rather than 2? Thanks :-)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Hi please could someone explain question 2b of the june 2014 paper, why is it we divide by 2 squared for the variance rather than 2? Thanks :-)
    Please link the paper or a picture of the question

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen the question because I'm saving that paper as a mock but are you aware (from S1 and S3) that \text{Var}(aX) = a^2\text{Var}(X) and E(ax) = aE(X) so that \text{Var}(\frac{X}{2}) = \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^2\text{  Var}(X) = \frac{1}{4}\text{Var}(X)?

ReputationRep:
    I've actually done this question on a mock - you should follow techniques learnt in S1 that Zacken mentioned and it's simple from there.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \displaystyle \mathrm{Var}\left ( \frac{3X_{1}-X_{20}}{2} \right ) = \frac{1}{4}\mathrm{Var}\left ( 3X_1-X_{20} \right ) = \cdots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    I've actually done this question on a mock - you should follow techniques learnt in S1 that Zacken mentioned and it's simple from there.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \displaystyle \mathrm{Var}\left ( \frac{3X_{1}-X_{20}}{2} \right ) = \frac{1}{4}\mathrm{Var}\left ( 3X_1-X_{20} \right ) = \cdots
    Thanks so much, should have taken the 1/2 outside of it! Please could you explain how question 6c on this paper https://869d950bf149eefd5cd2652b4001...%20Edexcel.pdf is done using confidence intervals, as I understand the normal distribution method but not too sure how it can be solved using confidence intervals? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know please whether we could be asked to do a test like that one in question 4i here? From an OCR paper https://f1f559d498e385d34687bce0088e...20S3%20OCR.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know please whether we could be asked to do a test like that one in question 4i here? From an OCR paper https://f1f559d498e385d34687bce0088e...20S3%20OCR.pdf
    I think this is out of spec. I'm not certain though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know please whether we could be asked to do a test like that one in question 4i here? From an OCR paper
    Nope, the only continuous distribution we work with is the normal and uniform, not random PDF's like those. You could, however be given a continuous uniform PDF and asked to find the expected frequency though, it's not really that different.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there's any extra resources available for this module, like practice papers? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there's any extra resources available for this module, like practice papers? Thanks
    Have you done the book's review exercises?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    Have you done the book's review exercises?
    Yeah

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 29, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.