Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicss)
    Yeah
    then you're pretty much ready for the exam! Give S3 a rest for now and come back to it a week or two and redo some past papers. if you can get your hands on the old book it might be helpful as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    then you're pretty much ready for the exam! Give S3 a rest for now and come back to it a week or two and redo some past papers. if you can get your hands on the old book it might be helpful as well.
    Thanks for the advice appreciate it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    https://doc-00-70-docs.googleusercon...2pSWXVBZ2s2MlE <<<<< Question Paper - Page 9

q7 part b don't get it at all - I don't see where one of the numbers comes from/

https://doc-0o-70-docs.googleusercon...0owajlZaGxnZjA <<<<< MARKSCHEME - Page 8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    https://doc-00-70-docs.googleusercon...2pSWXVBZ2s2MlE <<<<< Question Paper - Page 9

q7 part b don't get it at all - I don't see where one of the numbers comes from/

https://doc-0o-70-docs.googleusercon...0owajlZaGxnZjA <<<<< MARKSCHEME - Page 8
    The document won't open? Could you send a picture or the name of the paper please

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know please whether a question like 14b on here http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_..._variables.pdf is on spec? Since it involves continuity corrections and combining different distributions which I haven't seen before? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know please whether a question like 14b on here http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_..._variables.pdf is on spec? Since it involves continuity corrections and combining different distributions which I haven't seen before? Thanks
    What are the chances, I did this question this morning! I wouldn't say it's not on spec - they are allowed to ask anything from C1-4 and S1 -3 and continuity corrections are on S2. But will something like this show up on an Edexcel S3 exam? I highly doubt it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The document won't open? Could you send a picture or the name of the paper please
    i think it is june 09 qn 7 i'll double check though
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    https://869d950bf149eefd5cd2652b4001...%20Edexcel.pdf

7b i had a problem with - can normally (no pun intended) do these style but don't know why i got it wrong twice

ReputationRep:
    https://869d950bf149eefd5cd2652b4001...%20Edexcel.pdf

7b i had a problem with - can normally (no pun intended) do these style but don't know why i got it wrong twice
    Probability of at least 0.90. Quick percentage point lookup tells us that means we need z = 1.6449 since we need to consider 5% at either tail of the distribution.

Anyhow, we need a confidence width of 0.05 \times 2 = 0.1. You know that the width of an interval is given by 2\ \times z \times \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}

Plugging in our values gets us 2 \times 1.6449 \times \frac{0.2}{\sqrt{n}} = 2 \times 0.05

Immediately: \displaystyle 1.6449 \times \frac{0.2}{\sqrt{n}} = 0.05 \Rightarrow \sqrt{n} = \frac{1.6449 \times 0.2}{0.05}

Then squaring and taking the ceiling gets us the home run.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Probability of at least 0.90. Quick percentage point lookup tells us that means we need z = 1.6449 since we need to consider 5% at either tail of the distribution.

Anyhow, we need a confidence width of 0.05 \times 2 = 0.1. You know that the width of an interval is given by 2\ \times z \times \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}

Plugging in our values gets us 2 \times 1.6449 \times \frac{0.2}{\sqrt{n}} = 2 \times 0.05

Immediately: \displaystyle 1.6449 \times \frac{0.2}{\sqrt{n}} = 0.05 \Rightarrow \sqrt{n} = \frac{1.6449 \times 0.2}{0.05}

Then squaring and taking the ceiling gets us the home run.
    Thanks so much i ended up with o.4 instead of 0.2 so i missed the opportunity to cancel (Y)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much
    No worries. Did you understand it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zacken)
    No worries. Did you understand it?
    yup, i initially had issues with figuring out where the 0.2 came from as i kept getting 0.4 but yes, makes a lot more sense now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    What are the chances, I did this question this morning! I wouldn't say it's not on spec - they are allowed to ask anything from C1-4 and S1 -3 and continuity corrections are on S2. But will something like this show up on an Edexcel S3 exam? I highly doubt it.
    So that is what cc stood for lol. Continuity correction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yup, i initially had issues with figuring out where the 0.2 came from as i kept getting 0.4 but yes, makes a lot more sense now
    Awesome. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    So that is what cc stood for lol. Continuity correction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, mate I realised that you never did S2 properly 'cause you needed something like 2 UMS in it to get the A*? :rofl: Didn't you have to actually learn that **** for S3 and S4?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, mate I realised that you never did S2 properly 'cause you needed something like 2 UMS in it to get the A*? :rofl: Didn't you have to actually learn that **** for S3 and S4?
    I havent even looked at S4. Only done Ch1 and Ch3 in S3. I learnt afew chapters of S2 really well cause we did it at the start of the year. When step kicked in i was like **** this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I havent even looked at S4. Only done Ch1 and Ch3 in S3. I learnt afew chapters of S2 really well cause we did it at the start of the year. When step kicked in i was like **** this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aye, gotta meet the A-level part of your offer as well. Are you banking on mechanics for that A*?

ReputationRep:
    Aye, gotta meet the A-level part of your offer as well. Are you banking on mechanics for that A*?
    Banking on some switches from Maths and FM and yeh hoping to get
    290+/300 for M4/5 S3 so I need to get moving on S3. D1 is easy to learn which is great. Then probably try cram D2 and S4 and get a total of 80 -100 UMS. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Banking on some switches from Maths and FM and yeh hoping to get
    290+/300 for M4/5 S3 so I need to get moving on S3. D1 is easy to learn which is great. Then probably try cram D2 and S4 and get a total of 80 -100 UMS. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I love how you're so tactical with requirements. :rofl: This will probably be me if I manage to bag an A* in M3 and FP2 early - I'd half-arse S2 then.

ReputationRep:
    Just to check, if one our expected frequencies came out to 5 exactly, this wouldn't be combined right, we only combine values less than 5?! Thanks :-)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 29, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.