Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else use the poisson formula to find the mean? I.e. e^-lambda = 16.53/100, and solve for lambda? I got the mean to be 1.7999... which gave me the same expected values and overall test statistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unravelling)
    Did anyone else use the poisson formula to find the mean? I.e. e^-lambda = 16.53/100, and solve for lambda? I got the mean to be 17.999... which gave me the same expected values and overall test statistic.
    Wasn't lamda 1.8?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rkai01)
    Wasn't lamda 1.8?
    Sorry! I meant 1.799...

ReputationRep:
    For the binomio question hypothesis can you write ' a binomial distribution with p=0.3 is a suitable model for the data' ?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4117063

ReputationRep:
    Sorry! I meant 1.799...
    Not 1.799, 1.8 dude

ReputationRep:
    Sorry! I meant 1.799...
    Yeh i got that

ReputationRep:
    Not 1.799, 1.8 dude
    But what's wrong with doing it my way? I calculated the value of the mean using the manual poisson method

ReputationRep:
    But what's wrong with doing it my way? I calculated the value of the mean using the manual poisson method
    I don't know what that is dude everyone is saying 1.8 so maybe it's fine depending on which way you chose but in the book it shows sum of x times f(x) divided by n

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what that is dude everyone is saying 1.8 so maybe it's fine depending on which way you chose but in the book it shows sum of x times f(x) divided by n
    Using the S2 formula for poisson, (e^-λx λ^n)/(n!), for when x = 0 the expected value is 16.53 so the probability is 0.1653, and then n = 0 so e^-λ= 0.1653 and then λ gave me 1.799... which added up with all the other expected frequencies given and my answers were the same as those who used λ = 1.8

ReputationRep:
    Using the S2 formula for poisson, (e^-λx λ^n)/(n!), for when x = 0 the expected value is 16.53 so the probability is 0.1653, and then n = 0 so e^-λ= 0.1653 and then λ gave me 1.799... which added up with all the other expected frequencies given and my answers were the same as those who used λ = 1.8
    Yeh i did tht

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Yeh i did tht

Posted from TSR Mobile
    good to see that it wasnt just me then

ReputationRep:
    Oh S2 I remember that been awhile since AS days I forget everything after 1 week lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshC98)
    For the binomial question, did anybody else round 0.405 to 0.40 rather than 0.41? Because 0.41 would have made the total expected frequency 50.01 rather than 50?
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Oh S2 I remember that been awhile since AS days I forget everything after 1 week lol
    yeah I can imagine, I'm doing all of further maths this year though so I've yet to actually do the S2 exam :P

ReputationRep:
    yeah I can imagine, I'm doing all of further maths this year though so I've yet to actually do the S2 exam :P
    Damn what are your other mods?

ReputationRep:
    good to see that it wasnt just me then
    How else did people do it? Guess that was why i thought that questions was really tricky and that the method was hard to spot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshC98)
    For the binomial question, did anybody else round 0.405 to 0.40 rather than 0.41? Because 0.41 would have made the total expected frequency 50.01 rather than 50?
    I got something similar, I initially rounded both the first and last expected values up but was 0.1 over, so just rounded the last one (can't remember if that was 0.405) down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    How else did people do it? Guess that was why i thought that questions was really tricky and that the method was hard to spot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had no idea of any other way to do it :P When i asked other classmates, none of them did it our way and just calculated it from the tables (0 x its probability, 1 x its probability etc). which I didn't get since there were missing values we had to solve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisP97)
    I got something similar, I initially rounded both the first and last expected values up but was 0.1 over, so just rounded the last one (can't remember if that was 0.405) down.
    I think it was 12.005 for the first one, and 0.405 for the last one, so if you rounded to 12.01 and 0.41 you ended up being 0.01 over, so last one had to be adjusted to 0.40.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 29, 2016

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.