Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random1357)
    This is clearly inaccurate: A* boundaries for past few years:
    69 (71)

It has never been >70 except on an R paper.
    This paper also had several tricks (CLT not at assumption, lose 2 DoF for a chi squared test) and because there were 3 chi squared was on the time pressured side => less time to check => more silly mistakes). Predict A* boundary 68 -69. No way is it 71 let alone higher.
    I wrote clt and sample variance you think I'll still get the mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random1357)
    This paper also had several tricks (CLT not at assumption, lose 2 DoF for a chi squared test)
    This question was 2 marks. I wrote two assumptions, one that

"the sample size was sufficiently large for the central limit theorem to render the sample mean approximately normally distributed"

and two

"s and mu are unbiased estimates of the population standard deviation and mean respectively"

Is this not correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclidean)

"the sample size was sufficiently large for the central limit theorem to render the sample mean approximately normally distributed"

and two

"s and mu are unbiased estimates of the population standard deviation and mean respectively"

Is this not correct?
    Neither sound like assumptions, to be honest.

For the first: you don't assume the sample size is large enough. The question either tells you that it is or isn't. i.e" if the question says the sample size is n=80, you don't "assume the sample size is n>50 so CLT applies)

[edit: haven't actually sat the paper so don't know if the question specified n = k > 50, if not, then ignore the above paragraph]

Second, it's again not an assumption that s and mu are unbiased estimates of population standard deviation. They are unbiased estimates, I can prove it if you'd like. The assumption is that we assume they are equal to the population standard deviation and mean which isn't true in general.

ReputationRep:

and two

Is this not correct?
    Since the normal condition (no pun intended) is that n>50 for the central limit theorem to hold, I think it's reasonable to say that the CLT is a bit of an assumption in this instance (n=36 and 42 iirc) since it's by no means (no pun intended) ensured to be dead-on accurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Since the normal condition (no pun intended) is that n>50 for the central limit theorem to hold, I think it's reasonable to say that the CLT is a bit of an assumption in this instance (n=36 and 42 iirc) since it's by no means (no pun intended) ensured to be dead-on accurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You totally intended those puns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    For the first: you don't assume the sample size is large enough. The question either tells you that it is or isn't. i.e" if the question says the sample size is n=80, you don't "assume the sample size is n>50 so CLT applies)
    Since the normal condition (no pun intended) is that n>50 for the central limit theorem to hold, I think it's reasonable to say that the CLT is a bit of an assumption in this instance (n=36 and 42 iirc) since it's by no means (no pun intended) ensured to be dead-on accurate.Posted from TSR Mobile
    I must have missed a chapter with this n>50 condition. But the central limit theorem describes the tending of the sum of multiple variables to a normal distribution, when n is relatively quite large the central limit theorem acts as the basis for us to say X bar (in this case) is approximately normally distributed but the judgment of n being 'sufficiently large' is an assumption in itself is it not?

(Original post by Zacken)
    Second, it's again not an assumption that s and mu are unbiased estimates of population standard deviation. They are unbiased estimates, I can prove it if you'd like. The assumption is that we assume they are equal to the population standard deviation and mean which isn't true in general.
    The question threw me as they never specified that they were actually unbiased estimates in the question. Although looking at it now your assumption makes a lot more sense as an answer :doh:

Edit: I didn't catch your edit when I posted this

ReputationRep:

and two

Is this not correct?
    I agree with zacin that sadly the second is unlikely to attract credit, though I may hold out some hope for the former (I essentially put it too and I think it's justifiable as an assumption).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree with zacin that sadly the second is unlikely to attract credit, though I may hold out some hope for the former (I essentially put it too and I think it's justifiable as an assumption).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks both of you

ReputationRep:
    For all those saying CLT is an assumption.

From what I remmember, The question said "You may assume they are normally distributed"

Therefore the two assumptions are
    1) S2 = σ2 .
    2 ) They are independent

The second one is because the question did not state the samples were independent and for you to use the big formula involving both X & Y. They have to be independent.

Correct me if i'm wrong please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inges)
    For all those saying CLT is an assumption.

From what I remmember, The question said "You may assume they are normally distributed"

Therefore the two assumptions are
    1) S2 = σ2 .
    2 ) They are independent

The second one is because the question did not state the samples were independent and for you to use the big formula involving both X & Y. They have to be independent.

Correct me if i'm wrong please
    You are correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    You are correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yay, no more doubts!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone remember how many marks the very last part was worth, where n=44? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxequation)
    Anyone remember how many marks the very last part was worth, where n=44? Thanks.
    Believe it was 4 marks.

With only 1 or 2 dedicated to actually getting it right I wager.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But in the questions it already said you may assume they are bormally distributed.

ReputationRep:
    But in the questions it already said you may assume they are bormally distributed.
    Oh, fair enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh, fair enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How did it go for you? 100?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How did it go for you? 100?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah, I'll have lost one there, but everything else was fine I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I'll have lost one there, but everything else was fine I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hopefully still 100 UMS tho, im happy i think i got a B atleats haha. You sitting S4 M4-5 aswell?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully still 100 UMS tho, im happy i think i got a B atleats haha. You sitting S4 M4-5 aswell?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah doubt it, it was a fairly easy paper. My combo has been broken, cri :-(

In all seriousness I don't particularly care, it's only stats. Not doing S4 but I am going for M4 and M5... mechanics is much better tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nah doubt it, it was a fairly easy paper. My combo has been broken, cri :-(

In all seriousness I don't particularly care, it's only stats. Not doing S4 but I am going for M4 and M5... mechanics is much better tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If the A boundary is above 60 and an even number 100ums will be 74 .

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.