Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Even though S3 is over, I thought I'd share an interesting expectation algebra question from the IAL paper with everyone.

I think the question went something like this:

Given that \mathrm{E\left ( S^{2} \right )} is an unbiased estimator of \sigma^{2}, and the data obtained is from a population with mean \mu and variance \sigma^{2}, show that \displaystyle \mathrm{Y = \frac{1}{8}\left ( \sum_{i=1}^{8}X_{i}^{2}-8\bar{X}^{2} \right )} is a biased estimator of \sigma^{2}.

Krollo, physicsmaths - you guys might like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Weird thing is, I would probably be a lot less stressed about exams if I knew I'd dropped marks already... at the moment it seems teachers / friends / folk online are kind of expecting me to get full ums again when I know it isn't realistically possible. Knowing that I've already dropped marks can make things much easier, since beyond that A Levels serve little real purpose for me provided I don't completely **** them up.

My brain is a strange place, sorry for pouring it out onto the s3 thread guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know what you mean but except people expect me to get kill every module(not 100 but like 90+) little do they know I always do the bare minimum to get the grade needed like in D2 i will learn one chapter to get the 10 ums i need. I hate maths modules tbh, i don't have consistency even in FP and mechanics to get straight raw 100s due to not paying enough attention to mark schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Weird thing is, I would probably be a lot less stressed about exams if I knew I'd dropped marks already... at the moment it seems teachers / friends / folk online are kind of expecting me to get full ums again when I know it isn't realistically possible. Knowing that I've already dropped marks can make things much easier, since beyond that A Levels serve little real purpose for me provided I don't completely **** them up.

My brain is a strange place, sorry for pouring it out onto the s3 thread guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
    S'alright mate, just work your ass off for meeting your offer and nobody is going to care about UMS. You're already meme-worthy. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    Even though S3 is over, I thought I'd share an interesting expectation algebra question from the IAL paper with everyone.

Given that \mathrm{E\left ( S^{2} \right )} is an unbiased estimator of \sigma^{2}, and the data obtained is from a population with mean \mu and variance \sigma^{2}, show that \displaystyle \mathrm{Y = \frac{1}{8}\left ( \sum_{i=1}^{8}X_{i}^{2}-8\bar{X}^{2} \right )} is a biased estimator of \sigma^{2}.

Biased or unbiased?
    Where have i gone rong
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464264263.630770.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  120.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)

Looks interesting. Before I get started is the 8xbar^2 within the summation, if you see what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    Looks interesting. Before I get started is the 8xbar^2 within the summation, if you see what I mean?
    Nope.

Don't get too interested, it's only 2 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Nope.

Don't get too interested, it's only 2 marks.
    Did i get it rite

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Did i get it rite

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Nah.
    Fukin statistics. ********, the question is rong thats y. Mandem is sick

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Remember that if S^2 is an unbiased estimator of \sigma^2 then 7S^2 = \sum_{i=1}^8 X_i - 8\bar{X}

ReputationRep:
    Worded the question slightly wrong; E(S^2) = sigma^2. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Dis questions bare hard.
    Man is baffed bruv.
    Gna go do some step ii stats to make myself feel gud

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    S3 model solutions here
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is late... oh well

what are we thinking boundaries are for this paper (A*-B) almost certain i got 65+ and am hoping it is at least 80 ums. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    This is late... oh well

what are we thinking boundaries are for this paper (A*-B) almost certain i got 65+ and am hoping it is at least 80 ums. Thanks
    A* probably 70. B around 55-57?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    A* probably 70. B around 55-57?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A would be 62ish then yh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    A would be 62ish then yh?
    But higher 64 id say and 57 a B and 70 the A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How much UMS for 66/75

ReputationRep:
    Anyone's opinion would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honey badger123)
    Anyone's opinion would be appreciated
    wait until 11th august.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 29, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.