Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it really a lot easier for international students to get into top UK unis? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    "High School Graduation Diploma plus SAT I with a minimum score of 1950/2400 or an ACT of 29 in the Composite Score and 29 in the Combined English/Writing Score. In addition the successful completion of one year of study at a recognised US university, Community or Junior College is required, with an overall CGPA of 3.3/4.0 (equivalent to a 2.1)."
    Yes, you're also ignoring that I said other requirements may include GPA scores.

And you can get into UCL with 5 APs of 5,4,4,4,4.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Capricancer)
    Yes, you're also ignoring that I said other requirements may include GPA scores.

And you can get into UCL with 5 APs of 5,4,4,4,4.
    What are you talking about? High school GPA scores are absolutely not taken into account; they are not standardised test scores so can't be relied upon. Not sure why you're talking about APs, the question is whether most British universities would accept an applicant with just SAT or ACT scores, you said they would but that is wrong. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    What are you talking about? High school GPA scores are absolutely not taken into account; they are not standardised test scores so can't be relied upon. Not sure why you're talking about APs, the question is whether most British universities would accept an applicant with just SAT or ACT scores, you said they would but that is wrong. :facepalm2:
    I never specified High School GPA scores, I only said GPA scores which would include college GPA scores as well. And yes, some universities do take high school diploma GPA scores into account -- Bristol's undergraduate admissions information for US students:

"We will consider applicants with the following:
    A High School Diploma (or equivalent) with a GPA of 3.2 minimum (3.4 for competitive courses)
    and a total of THREE in any combination from the following list:
    • SAT I with a minimum of 630 in each element
    • ACT with a minimum score of 24
    • Any AP subject(s) with a score of at least 4 (more commonly 5)*
    • An Associate Degree with a CGPA of 3.3 or better out of 4.0"
    The exact words I used were, "Quite a few do take SAT/ACT as one of the components of their entry requirements for US students" meaning that SAT/ACT scores are usually one of the results required for students to gain entry into universities here.

I disagreed with you earlier because you made it seem as if APs were the only qualifications which Americans completed (some public schools do not offer APs at all). When in fact, you can enter British universities with qualifications other than the AP e.g. SAT scores (which would include SAT subject scores) and ACT scores (plus the others I mentioned previously).

When they're paying much, much more than the home students, of course they're more desirable than £9k a year plebs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confusedschubert)
    Basically, i'm an international and some people told me that the reason why I got into my first choice was because i'm an international and that all internationals have a 100% acceptance rate if they meet their grade requirements because of higher fees and what not...

Is this really true, esp. for unis like Oxbridge, UCL, Imp, LSE, etc. or is it safe to assume its just a pile of bull?
    Maybe because exams abroad are harder?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ast-exams.html

ReputationRep:
    I think it must be. If you walk around any of our city centres on a mon/tue night the place is crawling with Chinese/internationals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confusedschubert)
    Basically, i'm an international and some people told me that the reason why I got into my first choice was because i'm an international and that all internationals have a 100% acceptance rate if they meet their grade requirements because of higher fees and what not...

Is this really true, esp. for unis like Oxbridge, UCL, Imp, LSE, etc. or is it safe to assume its just a pile of bull?
    Probably not true of top tier unis like Oxfbridge as they can attract the cream of the crop but for middle range unis this is very true. I won't mention which uni but the international students I met had terrible English and left me wondering how they met the grade requirements to get into the program and how they were coping if they couldn't understand basic, conversational English. So yes, as long as you're an international student and not completely failing at your home university, you'll pretty much get in to any of the mid range unis. Having said that, I noticed a trend now where Internationals who don't meet the grade requirements are made to go do a postgrad diploma or pre degree course, which IMO is a way of sucking more cash out of them as the fees for said diploma costs as much as a freaking Masters!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    agreed the chinese can barelt communicate sometimes yet, low and behold, they are on a ****ing law course
    Not just law, but business, and get this, JOURNALISM. Yes, freaking journalism where you're required to write lengthy, intelligible essays in English. Most of them barely knew what was going on in class and if they did show up for tutorials, their presentations were completely off topic....I don't think it's right the way British unis compromise on quality just to get the money these international students bring.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in. It's like when people say minorities get accepted in universities because they're minorities. I think people who say that are upset they didn't into the ideal university while the international or foreigner did so they'll be quick to assume its someone else fault when they fail. I believe international students work harder since their parents pound it into their heads education is important. Especially Nigerians, and Asians. Anyone ever heard of the Nigerian boy who got accepted into 7 Ivy leagues in America?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyVibe)
    I don't believe in. It's like when people say minorities get accepted in universities because they're minorities. I think people who say that are upset they didn't into the ideal university while the international or foreigner did so they'll be quick to assume its someone else fault when they fail. I believe international students work harder since their parents pound it into their heads education is important. Especially Nigerians, and Asians. Anyone ever heard of the Nigerian boy who got accepted into 7 Ivy leagues in America?
    But you can't deny it's true of the mid range unis. How else do you explain the number of East Asians who can barely communicate in English yet have places to do law, journalism etc? If it was truly by merit, a lot of international students wouldn't be where they are now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.