Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've lost about £1250 from gambling over a year (basically since I started gambling). By gambling I mean sports betting like horses and football. I have days when I win big and lose big, its just that theres been a few days of huge losses, which is why i'm down. I'm by no means broke, but i'm a uni student with no income, and can't afford to keep losing.
    I'm especting alot of responses such as "just quit" or "stop you never win", but its not like roulette where it is pure chance. I have won big in the past and have been in profit in the past, I just feel like this is just a really bad spell, and I can win the money back over time (certainly not overnight). I think if i do win it back I will stop because as a uni student I dont want to be in losses again (not a nice feeling).
    At the moment I can walk away, put the money in my betting account back into my bank and no one would be any the wiser, however I feel like i can win most of the losses back and THEN walk away, having learnt a lesson yet not lost over a grand. I'm in a genuine pickle and don't know what to do, please could I have some helpful advise and not just (gambling is dumb etc).
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've lost about £1250 from gambling over a year (basically since I started gambling). By gambling I mean sports betting like horses and football. I have days when I win big and lose big, its just that theres been a few days of huge losses, which is why i'm down. I'm by no means broke, but i'm a uni student with no income, and can't afford to keep losing.
    I'm especting alot of responses such as "just quit" or "stop you never win", but its not like roulette where it is pure chance. I have won big in the past and have been in profit in the past, I just feel like this is just a really bad spell, and I can win the money back over time (certainly not overnight). I think if i do win it back I will stop because as a uni student I dont want to be in losses again (not a nice feeling).
    At the moment I can walk away, put the money in my betting account back into my bank and no one would be any the wiser, however I feel like i can win most of the losses back and THEN walk away, having learnt a lesson yet not lost over a grand. I'm in a genuine pickle and don't know what to do, please could I have some helpful advise and not just (gambling is dumb etc).
    Thanks
    You can't be consistent with betting on sports the odds are just not there.

ReputationRep:
    Friend was down on online poker around £2,000 once, he was in your position and felt like he could win it back over time, he ended up around £5,000 in debt before he finally realised he wasn't going to make it back and quit.

Maybe it's time to walk away in your case before it worsens. I know you feel you can make it back, but it's not about feelings, it's about luck really.

My advice would be take the loss and look for a part time job to make the money back.

(Original post by Breakingbank)
    Friend was down on online poker around £2,000 once, he was in your position and felt like he could win it back over time, he ended up around £5,000 in debt before he finally realised he wasn't going to make it back and quit.

Maybe it's time to walk away in your case before it worsens. I know you feel you can make it back, but it's not about feelings, it's about luck really.

My advice would be take the loss and look for a part time job to make the money back.
    Wow, id hate to be in debt. I dont think I need a part time job because as i said iv only really lost money i could "afford" to lose (no money loss is nice, but im by no means in trouble).
    Thanks for the advice, how is your friend now?

ReputationRep:
    You should have established bankroll management. IE designating certain amounts to bet each week.
    Personally I'm betting on the Jon Jones vs Daniel Cormier UFC fight in april for about 2k but that is all I will bet for the year. Separate from that I play poker and make sure I moderate how much I play, and what stakes I play.

I would never suggest for you to stop betting, I'd just suggest to move over to poker where you can control it and set up a limit for how much you'll allow yourself to win/lose in a day.

(Original post by Breakingbank)
    Friend was down on online poker around £2,000 once, he was in your position and felt like he could win it back over time, he ended up around £5,000 in debt before he finally realised he wasn't going to make it back and quit.Maybe it's time to walk away in your case before it worsens. I know you feel you can make it back, but it's not about feelings, it's about luck really.My advice would be take the loss and look for a part time job to make the money back.

The problem is chasing your losses. Him having the mindset that he needed to win anything back is a losing prospect. The money you lost is no longer yours, instructing him to move down stakes or take a break would have been the best advice.

(Original post by YourName___)
    You should have established bankroll management. IE designating certain amounts to bet each week.
    Personally I'm betting on the Jon Jones vs Daniel Cormier UFC fight in april for about 2k but that is all I will bet for the year. Separate from that I play poker and make sure I moderate how much I play, and what stakes I play.

I would never suggest for you to stop betting, I'd just suggest to move over to poker where you can control it and set up a limit for how much you'll allow yourself to win/lose in a day.
    Okay, i'll give it a look mate. What site do you use? Also, how would i establish a bank roll management on sports betting?

PS hope you picked jones by KO/TKO lol

ReputationRep:
    Okay, i'll give it a look mate. What site do you use? Also, how would i establish a bank roll management on sports betting?

PS hope you picked jones by KO/TKO lol
    The thing is I ****ing love jones.... BUT the fight is 50/50, it's too unpredictable, it will be a very tight fight and the odds on daniel cormier winning are +335 so it is profitable to bet on DC rather than Jones despite Jones being my favourite athlete. I want jones to win but I am going to bet for expected value.

Forget sports betting, don't bother with it. It is not profitable. It should be just something you do once a year and spend about £100 on.

Now you must listen to my words carefully. In poker you will lose at points and win at points, but you have to make sure you win more than you lose, and this includes leaving when you're losing. If you lose a buy-in or two - you have to leave the table and take a break. It is an emotional game so that may be hard to do, if it is too hard for you to do that... do not play.

My suggestion is to deposit ~£150 and play on the LOWEST stakes possible for about a year, don't move up stakes even if you want to win quickly or think you're good enough (you're not, trust me). I'd suggest playing on a site like Unibet because that has a weaker player pool. Playing on a site like Pokerstars will be hard because there are many regular players. (also many players on PStars have tracking software to track your stats and use that to exploit you). This is not possible on Unibet. Make sure you play slowly and quit when you're losing because you want the money to last.

That will keep your gambling cravings in check and make sure you can't lose anything more than £150 for the year.

Make a promise to yourself that if you lose it all, you wont deposit again and wont gamble. This means that you'll be more intelligent when you play and more conservative (obviously don't be too much of a *****, but just be clever with it).

Send me a pm.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't gamble.

I have a very serious weak spot for all types of gambling. So I don't do it, ever.

(Original post by Legendary Quest)
    Shame on you
    (Original post by babawunga)
    Hope you go bankrupt.
    You've never made a mistake in your life? At least i've not hurt anyone else. Be a bit more respectful, one day you'll ask someone else for help and expect a considerate response. Please be more empathetic

[QUOTE=YourName___;63371355]The thing is I ****ing love jones.... BUT the fight is 50/50, it's too unpredictable, it will be a very tight fight and the odds on daniel cormier winning are +335 so it is profitable to bet on DC rather than Jones despite Jones being my favourite athlete. I want jones to win but I am going to bet for expected value.

Forget sports betting, don't bother with it. It is not profitable. It should be just something you do once a year and spend about £100 on.

Now you must listen to my words carefully. In poker you will lose at points and win at points, but you have to make sure you win more than you lose, and this includes leaving when you're losing. If you lose a buy-in or two - you have to leave the table and take a break. It is an emotional game so that may be hard to do, if it is too hard for you to do that... do not play.

My suggestion is to deposit ~£150 and play on the LOWEST stakes possible for about a year, don't move up stakes even if you want to win quickly or think you're good enough (you're not, trust me). I'd suggest playing on a site like Unibet because that has a weaker player pool. Playing on a site like Pokerstars will be hard because there are many regular players. (also many players on PStars have tracking software to track your stats and use that to exploit you). This is not possible on Unibet. Make sure you play slowly and quit when you're losing because you want the money to last.

That will keep your gambling cravings in check and make sure you can't lose anything more than £150 for the year.

Make a promise to yourself that if you lose it all, you wont deposit again and wont gamble. This means that you'll be more intelligent when you play and more conservative (obviously don't be too much of a *****, but just be clever with it).

Send me an email right now also: [email protected][/QUOTE]

You're so helpful mate I cant thank you enough. How much money have you made from poker if you dont mind me asking? Also, what are the lowest stakes on Unibet? Finally, does it take a long time to play a decent few games (or whatever time to make a reasonable return)? Im in uni alot and also am quite sociable so dont wont to be sat at a computer several hours a day playing poker lol

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Anonymous;63371679]
    (Original post by YourName___)
    The thing is I ****ing love jones.... BUT the fight is 50/50, it's too unpredictable, it will be a very tight fight and the odds on daniel cormier winning are +335 so it is profitable to bet on DC rather than Jones despite Jones being my favourite athlete. I want jones to win but I am going to bet for expected value.

Send me an email right now also: [email protected][/QUOTE]

You're so helpful mate I cant thank you enough. How much money have you made from poker if you dont mind me asking? Also, what are the lowest stakes on Unibet? Finally, does it take a long time to play a decent few games (or whatever time to make a reasonable return)? Im in uni alot and also am quite sociable so dont wont to be sat at a computer several hours a day playing poker lol
    Lowest stakes at Unibet are 4nl (so 4 euro) currency is the Euro (it is a Scandinavian owned site). Also always buy into your games at the max buy in and don't bluff too much at low stakes. Jump on to twoplustwo.com forums or /r/poker on reddit.

Your returns will be dictated by however much time you put into learning the game, and getting experience from playing, best way to learn is to get familiar with the forums and post some hands for people to analyse. When you get good you can get a subscription to run it once.

I'm not going to disclose on here how much I make but email me. I multitable 6 tables but I play on pokerstars, I suggest to you only playing 1 table at a time for 6 months to get the hang of it.

Don't deposit anymore than £250.

I think MountKimbie plays a bit of poker so he can give you some tips, I'm going to go out for a cigarette and go to bed so you can email me if he's no help :P

Seriously email me tho, I don't want to have plunged you into the dark gambling world of poker on your own and you losing all your college funds because you forget to manage your bankroll.........

ReputationRep:
    why don't you try matched betting instead ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jawsontheflooor)
    why don't you try matched betting instead ?
    Who has time for that... it's a more professional approach. He is a gambler so my comments are oriented around controlling rather than stopping.

Sports and horse betting are so hard to self regulate and control, I think moving him away from them is much better for him.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Ignoring the frankly disgusting replies above which seem to be trying to make a joke out of what is clearly a serious damaging addiction.

Lots of information and help available on: http://www.gambleaware.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    You are in the denial stage. Because you have been profitable in the past you think you have cracked it and there is money to be made. Anyone can pick a series of winning bets. You have probably started betting on peculiar markets such as corners, cards etc and everytime you find a new market you think you have discovered the secret to winning. The problem is your mindset. You clearly no longer have self control as described by your huge losses. This isn't something that can be solved in a day. You have to stop betting for a long time.

You say you want to try and win the money back then walk away. Trust me when I say no one walks away from gambling on a win. If you win the money back you will think you have cracked it again and will feel compelled to gamble again because if you lose it will only put you in this position again. A position you have already experienced. However more than likely you will repeat this process untill you are further in the red.

Someone above discussed poker. Yes poker is profitable if you read the books and spend a lot of time studying it and apply a proper bankroll. I used to play poker years ago and was profitable. However to be profitable in poker you MUST have a proper mindset. Since my gambling addiction became heavier I have never returned to poker because I know I lack the self discipline.

£1250 May feel like it is a lot but in the grand scheme of things it is not. If you continue then in a years time your stakes will have grown (this is inevitable) and you will wish that you had only lost £1250. Take it as an expensive lesson. This isn't just from personal experience. I worked in the industry for years and seen this happen to so many people. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Dont feel bad OP. I gambled £1.5m once and lost it.

It made me feel sad :/

ReputationRep:
    there was a very sad story in the paper today:

*warning: mentions suicide*

ReputationRep:
    You can never truely win in gambling as the only reason those businesses exist is because they're making profit... Unless you're some sort of maths genius

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear gambling is a big waste of money in the long run only gamble with money you don't mind losing not worth the risk

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.