Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so I'm in yr 11 and studying for a levels. I do triple science and maths; I did well at GCSE getting all A* but now I'm finding the work overwhelming and impossible to understand. Any advice or ideas on what I should do? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanamieb)
    Hey guys, so I'm in yr 11 and studying for a levels. I do triple science and maths; I did well at GCSE getting all A* but now I'm finding the work overwhelming and impossible to understand. Any advice or ideas on what I should do? Thanks
    wait.....why are you doing a levels in yr 11?

In terms of the workload I made myself a timetable and covered some topics at a time instead of trying to do it all at once

ReputationRep:
    Oh my school does GCSES early :dontknow:
    Thanks I'll try that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you got A*s at gcse it was probably pretty straight forward content for you, I know you worked a lot too but the content itself must have been "easy to digest".

So now at alevel its probably just a shock to you that you're not understanding everything straight away, but this is okay and happens almost everyone, so dont stress about it, if you got A*s at gcse then youre obviously extremely capable

so once you go home read over class notes again and google things you dont understand, its also a goods idea to make notes for the sciences as you go along so you dont get bogged down with revision notes around easter time.

Alevel probably wont be like gcse where you can do no work at home all year, revise a week or two before exams and get an A/A* (not implying this is what you did, i just mean in general)

also you can post questions regarding your subjects on TSR;

Maths
    Physics
    Biology
    Chemistry
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Thanks I'll try that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey! Well done on the A*s I too am aiming for those. What is your best advice in terms of revision?

ReputationRep:
    Hey well done on the targets of A*!
    It's different with everyone but what I found really helped me was to write out questions and answers from my class notes and then get friends or family to test me. It really helps identify what you're struggling with good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    If you got A*s at gcse it was probably pretty straight forward content for you, I know you worked a lot too but the content itself must have been "easy to digest".

So now at alevel its probably just a shock to you that you're not understanding everything straight away, but this is okay and happens almost everyone, so dont stress about it, if you got A*s at gcse then youre obviously extremely capable

so once you go home read over class notes again and google things you dont understand, its also a goods idea to make notes for the sciences as you go along so you dont get bogged down with revision notes around easter time.

Alevel probably wont be like gcse where you can do no work at home all year, revise a week or two before exams and get an A/A* (not implying this is what you did, i just mean in general)

also you can post questions regarding your subjects on TSR;
    On
    Maths
    Physics
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Thank you this is really helpful. Hopefully some of this will work! It does seem like a massive step up but hopefully manageable :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'll try that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe that is why you're struggling since you are doing it a year before you're supposed to so you brain's at a disadvantage...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'll try that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait so do you finish a levels in year 12? And enter uni when you're still 17? Is this a private school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    Wait so do you finish a levels in year 12? And enter uni when you're still 17? Is this a private school?
    No its a state grammar school. No we have a 3 year sixth form :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well done on your A*s! Do you have any tips for revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.