Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I really want to study Radiotherapy in London, its my dream but I've just gone on the NHS bursary calculator and it has said I would be looking at getting around £5,400, for accommodation alone its going to be around £6000, I have no other financial income and with this type of course its near enough impossible to get a part time job as its literally clinical placement 9-5. What can I do? Surely I don't have to give up my dream because of this

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you get a student loan on top of that bursary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    Wouldn't you get a student loan on top of that bursary?
    Yes I've just found that out! I'm so stupid haha of course you get a reduced maintenance loan on top of it! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    you also have the option of night shift work although that would be stressful, always an option if things run tight though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkAcid)
    you also have the option of night shift work although that would be stressful, always an option if things run tight though!
    Yeh I was just discussing that with my mom! I just keep thinking like people do manage to study in London and I never hear people say I couldn't go to University because I couldn't afford it, so there must be a way haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymarie)
    Yes I've just found that out! I'm so stupid haha of course you get a reduced maintenance loan on top of it! Thanks
    Without the student maintenance loan I'd probably not survive.

Why is your accommodation so expensive?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I was just discussing that with my mom! I just keep thinking like people do manage to study in London and I never hear people say I couldn't go to University because I couldn't afford it, so there must be a way haha
    I wanna work during uni, but my course is going to be very intense. Ganna go in for 4days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonbabes)
    Without the student maintenance loan I'd probably not survive.

Why is your accommodation so expensive?
    Just because its London :/ its ridiculous, if I wasnt to stop in student accomodation then it would be a minimum of £1000 a month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonbabes)
    I wanna work during uni, but my course is going to be very intense. Ganna go in for 4days
    Yeh see thats the same with this course its really intense and you're on clinic basically working a full time job already and then you have work to catch up on in your spare time!

ReputationRep:
    Just because its London :/ its ridiculous, if I wasnt to stop in student accomodation then it would be a minimum of £1000 a month
    But u do get a bit more money from the bursery if it's a uni in London you're goin to

Yeh see thats the same with this course its really intense and you're on clinic basically working a full time job already and then you have work to catch up on in your spare time!
    Yeah. I'm not ganna risk it. I'm just ganna join student club thingy where u can join a society.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Anonbabes;63374849]But u do get a bit more money from the bursery if it's a uni in London you're goin to

Yeh not enough unfortunately So i've worked out ill probably be getting around £8000, so I'm gonna need to save up over the summer so i can actually eat when i get there haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.