Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm really torn between choosing Goldsmiths or Chelsea for my first choice. Can anyone tell me their experiences with either?

My reasons are that I feel that the Goldsmiths course might be a bit more future proof but I would like to go into graphic design and I think Chelsea would be better suited.

However my main concern is that I think finance wise, Goldsmiths is definitely more manageable over Chelsea - so I would have to be sure.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparrows)
    Hi
    I'm really torn between choosing Goldsmiths or Chelsea for my first choice. Can anyone tell me their experiences with either?

My reasons are that I feel that the Goldsmiths course might be a bit more future proof but I would like to go into graphic design and I think Chelsea would be better suited.

However my main concern is that I think finance wise, Goldsmiths is definitely more manageable over Chelsea - so I would have to be sure.

Thanks
    I can say a little bit for Goldsmiths Design because I used to be on the course for a short while (though dropped out after soon realising the course -set projects/briefs, structure and environment- isn't at all suitable for me), having said that don't be too discouraged as my case is an anomaly and from what I've gathered from other students' experiences, they all seem to enjoy the course... Anyway, obviously it's not specific to any type of design and you'll find that the projects will cross over into various disciplines and if you like being set briefs and working in groups then there will be quite a few of those. There are a load of workshops available (metal,wood, textiles, casting, physical computing etc), so you'll be introduced to all sorts of mediums/skills... But if you're definitely dead set on graphic design, then maybe Chelsea is more appropriate?

If I were you I wouldn't get too caught up with what is more 'future proof' (a mistake I made when applying) and be more focused on what course you think would be better suited to you and the work you want to make/future ambitions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparrows)
    Hi

Thanks
    I'm sort of in the same situation. I have offers from Goldsmiths (Design) and Camberwell (Graphic Design). Going to Firm Goldsmiths

I have a definite interest in graphic design and that's where I can see my future being, I was dead set on Camberwell. But after having visited both Camberwell and Goldsmiths I did a 180 - the course at Goldsmiths seems really really interesting and personally I like sound of how it is is structured.

Also we get our own studio space (desk) from the beginning whereas the facilities at UAL aren't great and you definitely don't get your own space (unless Chelsea is an exception).

On top of that I just preferred Goldsmiths, I like that it's all in one place and there seems to be a bigger sense of community. Good music scene too.

Whichever you pick they are both great courses, hopefully I'll see you at Goldsmiths in September

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.