Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Mechanics problem, TeeEm style.

A mass m is placed on the surface of a smooth hemisphere, radius R, at a height R \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} from the base of the hemisphere and is given an initial horizontal velocity of U, tangential to the sphere.

Find an expression for the normal reaction N(\theta) of the hemisphere on the mass when it has fallen to a height R\cos\theta, where \theta is the polar angle measured from the vertical. (So that \theta=0 corresponds to the top of the hemisphere)

(I think that I've got the correct result for this - it was messier than I'd anticipated)

ReputationRep:
    :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)

A mass m is placed on the surface of a smooth hemisphere, radius R, at a height R \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} from the base of the hemisphere and is given an initial horizontal velocity of U.

Find an expression for the normal reaction N(\theta) of the hemisphere on the mass when it has fallen to a height R\cos\theta, where \theta is the polar angle measured from the vertical. (So that \theta=0 corresponds to the top of the hemisphere)

(I think that I've got the correct result for this - it was messier than I'd anticipated)
    sorry teaching today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    sorry teaching today
    I'm happy to wait.

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy to wait.
    He likes his excuses

ReputationRep:

A mass m is placed on the surface of a smooth hemisphere, radius R, at a height R \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} from the base of the hemisphere and is given an initial horizontal velocity of U.

I got

N = mU2/R +mg( √3-cosθ )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I got

N = mU2/R +mg( √3-cosθ )
    Correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    Correct
    reassuring ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    He likes his excuses
    He didn't wimp out - Teeem's answer has been provided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I got

N = mU2/R +mg( √3-cosθ )
    Oh dear. I get something quite different:

\displaystyle N = 2mg \cos\theta -\frac{mg\sqrt{3}}{2}+\frac{mU^2}  {R}(\frac{3}{4\sin^2\theta}-1)

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear. I get something quite different:

\displaystyle N = 2mg \cos\theta -\frac{mg\sqrt{3}}{2}+\frac{mU^2}  {R}(\frac{3}{4\sin^2\theta}-1)
    we may be solving a very different problem ...

what I see being described here is a very simple problem and I suspect you mean something a lot more complicated which I interpreted in a simplistic way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    we may be solving a very different problem ...

what I see being described here is a very simple problem and I suspect you mean something a lot more complicated which I interpreted in a simplistic way
    Did you notice that the initial velocity is horizontal i.e. initially parallel to the base?

ReputationRep:
    Did you notice that the initial velocity is horizontal i.e. initially parallel to the base?
    I did not ...
    then it leaves the surface?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I did not ...
    then it leaves the surface?
    Not sure that I follow. It will leave the surface for a sufficiently large value of U, I guess, otherwise it'll spiral round the sphere until it falls off, no?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure that I follow. It will leave the surface for a sufficiently large value of U, I guess, otherwise it'll spiral round the sphere until it falls off, no?

Now I see what you are describing
    The velocity is horizontal and tangential.
    will try it again if not tonight tomorrow when I am off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Now I see what you are describing
    The velocity is horizontal and tangential.
    will try it again if not tonight tomorrow when I am off
    Right. That is a key point that I didn't make clear - it is also tangential. [I've edited the original post]

ReputationRep:
    Right. That is a key point that I didn't make clear - it is also tangential. [I've edited the original post]
    I spent over 2 hours this afternoon
    I feel I got something (I can post my attempt) but the parameterization or connection between z and r is a total mess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I spent over 2 hours this afternoon
    I feel I got something (I can post my attempt) but the parameterization or connection between z and r is a total mess
    Sure, put it up. I'll post my attempt at a solution tomorrow - I took a Lagrangian approach again.

ReputationRep:
    Someone *really* likes this thread...

ReputationRep:
    Sure, put it up. I'll post my attempt at a solution tomorrow - I took a Lagrangian approach again.
    Yeah, OK, Gnomes&Knights, I get the message - I'll put up my solution when I get a chance to make an electronic copy.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.