GCSE AQA ENG LIT POETRY Harmonium? Watch

CFCITBC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I need a poem to compare with Harmonium. Any suggestions? And also how are they similar and how they differ?
Gingerbread101
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CFCITBC)
I need a poem to compare with Harmonium. Any suggestions? And also how are they similar and how they differ?
Perhaps 'This be the verse' by Philip Larkin, they both present parent/child relationships and their deterioration, except Larkin's poem presents it as an inevitable destruction from the start, whereas in Harmonium it's more gradual and there are some positive things at the start of the relationship
CFCITBC
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gingerbread101)
Perhaps 'This be the verse' by Philip Larkin, they both present parent/child relationships and their deterioration, except Larkin's poem presents it as an inevitable destruction from the start, whereas in Harmonium it's more gradual and there are some positive things at the start of the relationship
I study poems from the relationship cluster but 'This be the verse' is not among them
Gingerbread101
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CFCITBC)
I study poems from the relationship cluster but 'This be the verse' is not among them
Oh I didn't realise you meant from the anthology, I thought you meant poems in general what about Nettles? It deals with parent child relationships in an early stage of the relationship (i.e. when the child is young) but hints of negativity in the future, which could reflect the negativity of the adult relationship in Harmonium
CFCITBC
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gingerbread101)
Oh I didn't realise you meant from the anthology, I thought you meant poems in general what about Nettles? It deals with parent child relationships in an early stage of the relationship (i.e. when the child is young) but hints of negativity in the future, which could reflect the negativity of the adult relationship in Harmonium
Yes it could work! Thank you very much!!
craigrose98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Compare with Brothers - both poems present difficult family relationships that are beyond repair by the final stanza.
Contrast with Praise Song - parental relationships in these poems are polar opposites.
Curley's wife
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could compare it with Hour- Carol Ann Duffy, a similar theme in both is time, you could compare the different ways it's presented in both
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.29%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.89%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.07%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.51%
No (255)
71.23%

Watched Threads