Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

I currently have a MacBook Air that i do all of my studying on and it copes quite well however im thinking of swapping it for a Surface Pro 3 due to the fact that the Surface is a hybrid and can be a tablet as well, meaning it will be much more practical for me to use in lectures for having the powerpoint presentation open when i take my notes.

The only thing im concerned about is the fact that i might not be able to do my assignments on it as easily as i could on my MacBook. Can comeone with a surface tell me how well it copes and how easy it is to do assignments on it (I need to be able to make tables, copy and paste images ect, pretty much use the full functionality of microsoft office).

Thanks <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor1744)
    Hi Guys

I currently have a MacBook Air that i do all of my studying on and it copes quite well however im thinking of swapping it for a Surface Pro 3 due to the fact that the Surface is a hybrid and can be a tablet as well, meaning it will be much more practical for me to use in lectures for having the powerpoint presentation open when i take my notes.

The only thing im concerned about is the fact that i might not be able to do my assignments on it as easily as i could on my MacBook. Can comeone with a surface tell me how well it copes and how easy it is to do assignments on it (I need to be able to make tables, copy and paste images ect, pretty much use the full functionality of microsoft office).

Thanks <3
    The Surface Pro 3 is, for all intents and purposes, a full Windows computer crammed into a tablet with an additional keyboard cover. On the software side of things you will absolutely be able to everything you would expect to do with a traditional laptop.

The main things you would be gaining from the Surface Pro 3 are;
    *The touch screen and tablet functionality
    *The higher quality display
    *Potentially an increase in power, depending on which Air you have and which Pro 3 model you're looking at buying.

For me personally, I would not recommend making the move for the simple reason that while being one of the better examples of a laptop-tablet hybrid, the Surface Pro 3 still doesn't deliver a proper laptop experience which is arguably the more important "mode" of the two. Like all hybrid devices of this sort it is inevitably a top heavy device and the kickstand still cannot replicate the convenience of a properly weighted laptop with a sturdy hinge- using it on a lap is a pain and not particularly stable, adjusting the display angle takes more effort, and the kickstand can make the SP3 take up more surface space than a conventional laptop, making it potentially awkward to use in cramped spaces like on the fold-down trays on planes.

My other main gripe is the keyboard covers, which is probably especially relevant to you as essay writing is going to be a main usage scenario. The amount of key travel is small for the Type Cover and non-existent for the Touch Cover. This lack of physical feedback is something I hate when it comes to extended periods of writing and is the main reason I do not recommend the New MacBook either. The keyboard on the superior Type Cover also feels a bit too cramped for me with zero spacing between keys, and both have a tiny trackpad that does not remotely compare to the trackpads in the MacBook line, which are arguably the best trackpads of any laptop line in the world. These are all more objective things and you may find you have no problems using this sort of keyboard, but for me it's a deal breaker, so I would definitely recommend trying both out before purchasing.

If you can live with those issues and the expense of moving over isn't too significant, then yeah, the SP3 is well worth considering. However if you're expecting to move over and be greeted with a seamless, polished experience in both tablet and laptop configurations, you may be disappointed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.