Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Feminist Approach to Men's Issues (Toxic Masculinity) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    If your activism only includes and helps the most privileged members of a group you claims to be supporting then it isn't really activism at all. If you ignore the different issues more marginalised members of that group face then you are ignoring their existence.
    Not really. The simple fact is that there are injustices/inequalities (call it what you want) that even the most 'privileged' groups of men face. Having concern for them and their needs is still a good thing to do because it is helping to right a wrong.

Now you could of course argue that we're engaging in a misuse of resources and that the entirety of a mens rights movement should perhaps focus on that small group that while in need isn't in as much need as another group.

This is all completely hypothetical though, because the truth of the matter is simply that the issues that those dirty horrible MRAs focus on (such as boys languishing behind in schools or more severe sentencing than women for the same crime or a significant attitude held by some that demonises men and masculinity lessened interest in men's health etc.) are pretty much universal to ALL men. Activism in those areas helps all men.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, a word hurt my feelings. Let's blame society for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    Feminists do this on a daily basis...

ReputationRep:
    Not really what I'm getting at at all. People are free to say whatever they want, but I'm also free to point out an issue with peoples attitudes towards men and masculinity and the issues they face.

I'm not asking for people to be banned or no platformed or whatever it is for having these views, I'm.just asking them to rethink and reconsider how they think about men's issues, because at the minute it's being done badly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Not really what I'm getting at at all. People are free to say whatever they want, but I'm also free to point out an issue with peoples attitudes towards men and masculinity and the issues they face.

I'm not asking for people to be banned or no platformed or whatever it is for having these views, I'm.just asking them to rethink and reconsider how they think about men's issues, because at the minute it's being done badly
    I was referring to what some other posters have said regarding the word 'bossy'.

ReputationRep:
    I was referring to what some other posters have said regarding the word 'bossy'.
    Ah fair enough then, sorry for the misunderstanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Ah fair enough then, sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Not at all! I should have clarified .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.