Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm currently at uni and have been living with a group of guys since October. However, since the beginning, one person has been a huge problem in the house and it's getting worse.

He's rude, leaves a mess everywhere and is generally inconsiderate playing loud music all the time. The problem for me is I don't know how to respond to this. In the past I've told him to turn the music down or clean up, but he seems to enjoy me getting annoyed at him. Whenever I complain he seems to do it all the more.

Recently I've decided to say nothing. The situation has got a bit better but he's still doing all the same things as before. So I'm not sure what to do. If I tell him to stop doing something, he just does it even more and if I don't do anything it just continues. I've talked to my other housemates and they're fed up of him but are scared to say anything for the same reason.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm currently at uni and have been living with a group of guys since October. However, since the beginning, one person has been a huge problem in the house and it's getting worse.

He's rude, leaves a mess everywhere and is generally inconsiderate playing loud music all the time. The problem for me is I don't know how to respond to this. In the past I've told him to turn the music down or clean up, but he seems to enjoy me getting annoyed at him. Whenever I complain he seems to do it all the more.

Recently I've decided to say nothing. The situation has got a bit better but he's still doing all the same things as before. So I'm not sure what to do. If I tell him to stop doing something, he just does it even more and if I don't do anything it just continues. I've talked to my other housemates and they're fed up of him but are scared to say anything for the same reason.
    Would you feel more comfortable if all of you tried to speak to him at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    It seems like ur house mates are less bothered by him than u. Or too lazy to speak up. This guy sounds like an annoying person who cares only about himself I have met a lot of people like that and for some reasons they always get away with it. In my opinion... Just leave. Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if no one else will back you up you can't do anything else I'm afraid, it would be worth having a group discussion if they'd be willing but if they're not then that's that

ReputationRep:
    Buy breathing mask. Poor fish guts down back of his radiator

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.