Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

could I still be anemic even if I eat meat (not everyday but I do eat it often) but not as much vegetables and I rarely ever have serial. Because everyone says I could be anemic because of my symptoms but I dont know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    could I still be anemic even if I eat meat (not everyday but I do eat it often) but not as much vegetables and I rarely ever have serial. Because everyone says I could be anemic because of my symptoms but I dont know.
    You can be anaemic no matter what you eat - different people absorb iron differently, and there are some medical conditions that leave you with anaemia regardless of your diet. It also depends what kind of meat you're eating - it's really only the red meats that have a significant amount of iron in them. If you're worried all it takes is a blood test to figure out your levels.

(Original post by mscaffrey)
    You can be anaemic no matter what you eat - different people absorb iron differently, and there are some medical conditions that leave you with anaemia regardless of your diet. It also depends what kind of meat you're eating - it's really only the red meats that have a significant amount of iron in them. If you're worried all it takes is a blood test to figure out your levels.
    Yeah I'm getting a blood test soon I just became curious when someone told me to eat red meats because that helps and I do eat red meat but thanks x
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    As last poster said it is deffinately possible, just tends to be associated with vegetarians. If the blood test doesn't show anything it could also be other deficiencies so don't stop there. But your doc should be on top of that anway

ReputationRep:
    Was diagnosed anemic after a blood test on Tuesday, because i feel **** and tired all them time. Doc gave iron supplements and red meat does help

ReputationRep:
    Yup. I eat meat regularly I'd say but have a problem absorbing things so I'm very deficient in Vit B12, and D. I have injections every week for B12 and drink high dose Vit D atm, I fall asleep when people talk to me and get spasms I get so fatigued lol
    Just go to your doctor and get a blood test, they'll give you supplements if need be

As said above, you can be anemic no matter what. It's not a big deal tho, if you are you just have to take an iron pill everyday and you live perfectly well.
    Btw avoid the tea, it's not a good thing if your body does not absorb the iron well

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.